• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, just got a $133.52 photo sale. Thanks for the buyer and SS!

I had some months at level 5 where I earned  less than what I earned at level 1 and 2 in the first month. This is just a game of luck by now. Yes, clearly Shutterstock has rewarded me with great ear

As the alien invasion appears to stop at weekends 🤞 maybe we can keep this thread (and the forums) going 🤞 All the best for a better September than August.

Posted Images

Just wanted to say, I think I will be deleting my portfolio soon. After 4+ years and over 2000+ clips from over the world... I think my time here is running out. 

My worst month was July... 29 video sales for only $69 🤮 Many of the sales were 0.25c video clips... I don't know if its worth it to stay anymore. So far... September has 13 video clip sales at which comes out to only $7.09. Sales on P5 and AS are much much better... so out of principal...Not sure if its worth it anymore on SS, but I wish you all contributors all the best! 

WME so far. At current rate, if nothing changes, I won't even make minimum payout this month. Still, have made zero effort in the past 2 years so that everything that does come in is a bonus (although this month is looking like acceleration into the abyss)! 😲

1 hour ago, stevemart said:

WME so far. At current rate, if nothing changes, I won't even make minimum payout this month. Still, have made zero effort in the past 2 years so that everything that does come in is a bonus (although this month is looking like acceleration into the abyss)! 😲

Steve, so you are using Other Micro stock websites currently? which one would you say worth our time?

13 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Considering the size of your portfolio, that's a good performance, Steve.

I like the photos with the old books - extremely aesthetic.

Thanks Wilm. I was inspired by my newly acquired 85mm f1.8 lens which  was so exceptionally sharp that I felt inspired to take some shots of the pile of my wife's old books. Usually, I would use studio flash but this was done with 3 tungsten narrow-angle spots which I bought 30 years ago. The great thing about continuous lighting is that you can see what you get before you get it! Part of the success of the original photo is probably down to eBay having used it to illustrate their article on , 'How to value old books'! After the original success I made a few derivatives and in some I used Nik filters to give that 'dark light' effect.

14 hours ago, Asik Mohammed said:

Steve, so you are using Other Micro stock websites currently? which one would you say worth our time?

I only have work on two sites. Adobe and SS (plus a few on Alamy but that's not serious). I first got accepted on iS in 2008 but fell for FT's (Adbe) offer of exclusivity (stupid mistake) and removed my few photo's from iS. FT was going great until in 2012 my best sellers fell into an abyss within the space of 2 weeks. Dunno what happened....algo changed to favour some buddies of the boss methinks!! Anyway, I deleted my ex-best sellers there and tried SS which, at the time, I thought was too good for me. Submitted 10 photo's and had all ten accepted first time.

That there was nothing wrong with my ex-best-sellers on FT was borne out by the sales on SS which were 10X what they were on FT. For one year, I did try CanStock with 100 of my best sellers on SS...pointless. Deleted my port there after 12 months. As someone on the MSG forum once said, "Can Stock....Can't Sell"😁. Tried Arcangel and Stocksy with completely different stuff to here but to no avail. Just don't seem to have what they want. Anyway, pay no attention to me as I'm completely demotivated regarding microstock. But SS and Adobe (and maybe iS) seem to be the most worthwhile sites for still photos.

Hello Whiteaster,

This is my take on what happens, when an affiliate sells a license it may not come through the system until the end of their credit period. The credit period could be immediate(Stan's favorite) or up to 90 days. When the time comes to pay the bill it will be automatic and the purchases can be shown, hence the list. I also think due to the privacy laws for most social media etc. their own TOS to their customers forbids them to declare where they live and who they are, this is when we see a dash instead of a location, imagine if $$ had to pay code writers to write and maintain this connection to itemize every sale from an affiliate.

Regards,

f.

52 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Hello Anne-tipodees,

Thanks for you comment, you are probably right about affiliate sales.

I can see the location on the map (the small triangle) but that could be the affiliate's location.

location.jpg.284e75d48c39611893566d701636117d.jpg

Thanks again.

Yeah, that spot is the reason of many of my sells too. 

On 9/11/2021 at 2:30 AM, stevemart said:

For one year, I did try CanStock with 100 of my best sellers on SS...pointless. Deleted my port there after 12 months. As someone on the MSG forum once said, "Can Stock....Can't Sell"😁

It is true that Canstock hardly contributes anything to the total income, Steve. But: The RPD there is above average. For me it is $1.43. Yesterday, for example, there was a sale of $19.80 and I often have sales for $5.00. 

If I had to decide today whether to use dreamstime or canstock, I would choose canstock, because there the uploading of the images is done in seconds, while at dreamstime it is time-consuming.
Dreamstime revenues are now only a fifth of what they once were.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-12 um 11.09.42.png

On 9/9/2021 at 5:46 PM, AerialCinematics said:

Just wanted to say, I think I will be deleting my portfolio soon. After 4+ years and over 2000+ clips from over the world... I think my time here is running out. 

My worst month was July... 29 video sales for only $69 🤮 Many of the sales were 0.25c video clips... I don't know if its worth it to stay anymore. So far... September has 13 video clip sales at which comes out to only $7.09. Sales on P5 and AS are much much better... so out of principal...Not sure if its worth it anymore on SS, but I wish you all contributors all the best! 

This is my problem (similar number of clips).

The first few 0.25c arrived in July, August had a ton of them, September has even more.

Yet another SS low end product we aren't told about and can't opt out of.

...and this is the problem.  Levels and ratings are bad enough but the new "exciting" products that basically give away content to customers is whats killing it.

Its getting to the stage now that one sale elsewhere can beat a whole month of SS video activity.

I see that the spam is gone. 👍 I did not expect that. Haven’t been for a long time on the forum. So I log in again.

So far for me the sales are going reasonably well, although I still have the feeling that it should be more because of the larger amount of photos I now have. 18: 8.58 (sub:2.51 Od:3.55 So:2.52)

I was thinking about you @stevemart, because we were in your home town Zaanstad at the open air museum De Zaanse Schans. When I worked in Zaanstad a long time ago, I never went there. You often visit the beautiful places in your own neighborhood less. I don't know if that is the case with others.

I took some pictures. https://www.shutterstock.com/nl/g/Thijs+de+Graaf?searchterm=zaanse+schans&sort=newest
Only I'm afraid they won't be sold much when I look at the many, many photos about De Zaanse Schans, which are already on Shutterstock. My wife thinks many of those photos are kitsch, especially because of the unnatural colors. I agree with her, but I still think they often sell better.

Adobe Stock has been going less than Shutterstock lately and Alamy has been completely dead for a few months now. Luckily, I'm getting $50 this month, because the last customer finally paid. It's not going well when I read this. https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/14814-ridiculous-payment-rates/?ct=1631528510
And I'm afraid I'll only catch 20% with Alamy next year if I continue to sell so little.

1 hour ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I see that the spam is gone. 👍 I did not expect that. Haven’t been for a long time on the forum. So I log in again.

So far for me the sales are going reasonably well, although I still have the feeling that it should be more because of the larger amount of photos I now have. 18: 8.58 (sub:2.51 Od:3.55 So:2.52)

I was thinking about you @stevemart, because we were in your home town Zaanstad at the open air museum De Zaanse Schans. When I worked in Zaanstad a long time ago, I never went there. You often visit the beautiful places in your own neighborhood less. I don't know if that is the case with others.

I took some pictures. https://www.shutterstock.com/nl/g/Thijs+de+Graaf?searchterm=zaanse+schans&sort=newest
Only I'm afraid they won't be sold much when I look at the many, many photos about De Zaanse Schans, which are already on Shutterstock. My wife thinks many of those photos are kitsch, especially because of the unnatural colors. I agree with her, but I still think they often sell better.

Adobe Stock has been going less than Shutterstock lately and Alamy has been completely dead for a few months now. Luckily, I'm getting $50 this month, because the last customer finally paid. It's not going well when I read this. https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/14814-ridiculous-payment-rates/?ct=1631528510
And I'm afraid I'll only catch 20% with Alamy next year if I continue to sell so little.

Hi Thijs. Thanks for posting and showing me the Zaanse Schans as it now is! Haven't been there to walk around for ages (10+ years probably). First place I went when I came on holiday to NL in '77 to see my then girlfriend/later wife. Had our wedding photos taken there by a British photographer friend of mine....made his day too to have such a place to take wedding shots. In the 80's I went there often to take pictures and had this one as a card at Art Unlimited when 'cards' were the thing to be in. This wouldn't get in here because of the use of soft filter (6x6cm anti-newton slide glass) in front of lens. 😁 As you will have noticed, the Zaanse Schans has added a few extra molens since I took this shot in '84 or '85! I actually drive past it a couple of times a week as that bridge is open far less often than the other bridges over the Zaan. That bridge is also fab as the curved lampposts fold flat when the bridge opens! Haven't been back to Schoorl since my bro-in-law died at the hospice there in the middle of August. Despite the sad occasion of every visit, I'm really glad to have 'discovered' Schoorl. Lovely place, lots of fir trees and fresh sea air!

814073072_NickPic1442021-09-1313_51_31.jpg.8fad28079c37ba843799ccffdebc047f.jpg

915763360_NickPic1452021-09-1313_53_15.jpg.866c92a6801c0968c093f5647613fc03.jpg

Having an absolutely awful month here so far with less than $1/day. ADBE on the other hand is doing much better. I have around 100 pics on ALA and in 4 years had one sale for $31gross and $9 net which will probably never be paid out. Despite making no effort for the last 2 years and still able to watch the money come in here (~$100 last month), I'm going to give here a couple of months to see whether less than $1/day becomes the norm. Should that come to pass, then I'll consider myself sufficiently insulted and take up my port and walk....at that point I begrudge them their heist off my work and shall refuse to sponsor them any longer.😢

1 hour ago, stevemart said:

Hi Thijs. Thanks for posting and showing me the Zaanse Schans as it now is! Haven't been there to walk around for ages (10+ years probably). First place I went when I came on holiday to NL in '77 to see my then girlfriend/later wife. Had our wedding photos taken there by a British photographer friend of mine....made his day too to have such a place to take wedding shots. In the 80's I went there often to take pictures and had this one as a card at Art Unlimited when 'cards' were the thing to be in. This wouldn't get in here because of the use of soft filter (6x6cm anti-newton slide glass) in front of lens. 😁 As you will have noticed, the Zaanse Schans has added a few extra molens since I took this shot in '84 or '85! I actually drive past it a couple of times a week as that bridge is open far less often than the other bridges over the Zaan. That bridge is also fab as the curved lampposts fold flat when the bridge opens! Haven't been back to Schoorl since my bro-in-law died at the hospice there in the middle of August. Despite the sad occasion of every visit, I'm really glad to have 'discovered' Schoorl. Lovely place, lots of fir trees and fresh sea air!

814073072_NickPic1442021-09-1313_51_31.jpg.8fad28079c37ba843799ccffdebc047f.jpg

915763360_NickPic1452021-09-1313_53_15.jpg.866c92a6801c0968c093f5647613fc03.jpg

Having an absolutely awful month here so far with less than $1/day. ADBE on the other hand is doing much better. I have around 100 pics on ALA and in 4 years had one sale for $31gross and $9 net which will probably never be paid out. Despite making no effort for the last 2 years and still able to watch the money come in here (~$100 last month), I'm going to give here a couple of months to see whether less than $1/day becomes the norm. Should that come to pass, then I'll consider myself sufficiently insulted and take up my port and walk....at that point I begrudge them their heist off my work and shall refuse to sponsor them any longer.😢

Hi Steve

Condolences Steve. Always a mixed feeling. You don't give someone a longer suffering on the other hand an empty feeling. Especially if you've been there many times.
As a child I used to go on a school trip to the climbing dune in Schoorl. I still like coming here. I have not photographed that mill. Beautiful picture.
Nice that your wedding photos were taken there (ours in Alkmaar). It was now a lovely walk. When the corona is over, I'm afraid it will be very busy. I do think that your windmill photo would have been rejected, although I find it very attractive. Better than those with overly bright colors.
When I drove over the bridge I had to think that it was worth a photo.
When I hear from you about Alamy, I can't grumble about my 50 dollars.
As a professional photographer it is of course different when you see that your photos yield so little. For me it's more... It's too little, but I photograph anyway and if I put them on Flickr, for example, I even have to pay for it.
I came across a photo of me in an article yesterday. That's nice, even if they didn't pay that much for it. I don't mind that as much as knowing that Shutterstock got most of the proceeds.

38 minutes ago, stevemart said:

Nice shot of the H2 station in Alkmaar. It's not perhaps on that (what appears an industrial estate) between Akersloot and Alkmaar where there's a whole hillside covered in solar panels?

Indeed. The Household waste incinerator is also there.
In a period when I didn't use the car because of corona. Then I drove a bit, because that was better for the car and took my camera with me.

2 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Indeed. The Household waste incinerator is also there.
In a period when I didn't use the car because of corona. Then I drove a bit, because that was better for the car and took my camera with me.

Had great difficulty finding that shot of yours by using SS search. I see you didn't use 'hydrogen' in the keywords and that's what I looked for! I would add words that have to do with H2, sustainable etc.