Selling prints of SS contributions

I'm looking to upload my portfolio but at the same time I'd like to be able to offer visitors to my website gallery the option to purchase prints of my submissions - is there a third party service out there that connects to Shutterstock to offer prints? If so, what sort of revenue share is offered to contributors? I have tried looking around, but struggling to find what I'm describing, but assume it must exist!

Thanks

Before you consider uploading your images to both SS and FAA, though, you might want to know that SS also runs an account on there. https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/shutterstock
They don't sell prints of everything in their database (and I'm not sure what we'd earn once they actually sell a print - probably a sub only), but you may be competing against your own imagery from a certain point on ... if they so choose. 

5 hours ago, AKaiser said:

Before you consider uploading your images to both SS and FAA, though, you might want to know that SS also runs an account on there. https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/shutterstock
They don't sell prints of everything in their database (and I'm not sure what we'd earn once they actually sell a print - probably a sub only), but you may be competing against your own imagery from a certain point on ... if they so choose. 

Thanks, that's interesting to know. Is there no limitation on what SS can do with your images then? Seems remarkable that they could sell prints via FAA and not provide a revenue share to the contributor.

Frank, I actually don't know what they provide, because my own images don't seem to be concerned, but as far as my (more or less) educated guess goes: They'd do whatever they want to do, these days. There's no-one to fight them - except Adobe. (And they do, just not with our best interest in mind.)

7 hours ago, Frank768 said:

Thanks, that's interesting to know. Is there no limitation on what SS can do with your images then? Seems remarkable that they could sell prints via FAA and not provide a revenue share to the contributor.

SS has so many ‘partners’, so it's a wonder if they can figure out for themselves what's being sold to whom.

20 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

SS has so many ‘partners’, so it's a wonder if they can figure out for themselves what's being sold to whom.

Just giving us 10 cents for everything would make this calculation much easier for them ...but I'm sure they wouldn't do that, would they ? 🙂😈😄

You may find this thread of use with regard to non-microstock selling of your images.

I've joined Photos4Me.  Just one image up so far but I do get irritated by all the comments telling me how wonderful my photo is. Some of the other contributors even use the same wording.  I assume this is because positive comments and followers affects the ranking of images on searches so other contributors just pretend to like each other's images and like/follow each other for this reason. I've read that's how it works on FAA.

11 hours ago, oleschwander said:

David - Is Photoshelter not ‘just’ delivering a personal webpage and storage space? Can you buy prints directly from the website?

I believe they have an in-house photo lab that will send the prints directly to the client.  Personally, I get my own printing done, but that's just me.

11 hours ago, oleschwander said:

So you pay for hosting images, order printing, and maybe also pack and ship ... wow ...!

IMO, that's *exactly* the way to go: Avoiding huge agencies, but staying authentic, offering kind of a "personal" service and customer experience and having control over the product's quality. Perfect.

7 hours ago, AKaiser said:

IMO, that's *exactly* the way to go: Avoiding huge agencies, but staying authentic, offering kind of a "personal" service and customer experience and having control over the product's quality. Perfect.

Right. But think about the work and the costs required. The images sold must be quite expensive. You need to advertise it, contact and discuss with the customer, contact a printer, mail the image, pick it up, check the quality, maybe get it framed, pack it properly, send to the customer, pay shipping - and hope the customer accepts the print. But huge respect if you can manage to fix it all yourself ..!

14 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Right. But think about the work and the costs required. The images sold must be quite expensive. You need to advertise it, contact and discuss with the customer, contact a printer, mail the image, pick it up, check the quality, maybe get it framed, pack it properly, send to the customer, pay shipping - and hope the customer accepts the print. But huge respect if you can manage to fix it all yourself ..!

True.
I just think that many customers out there now appreciate this "take" on selling things and prefer it over, say, "mass production". Doesn't make the whole process (on the seller's side)  easier or less tedious, but it's a chance at least. Handmade's definitely a trend, IMO. People just want to know who they're buying from and how the products are being made. :)