• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The best start ever. Nothing on Sunday, but that often happens. Three so far today and none of 0.10!! It is funny that the photo with a very common wasp was sold in Uitgeest, which is close to my vill

...of wine?

Yesterday a big surprise, a DL for $17,71 I looked twice. Now  I am waiting for my first payout. 😄

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Another day of 40 sales and $6 (including a $0.25 video sale).

Sums up august.  Pretty much worthless sales despite the volume.

@Former poster, I have a question and maybe for others as well, why are you still here and how can you possibly make a living here with those numbers or do perhaps other agencies bring in the sales that you make a living on and this was/is just extra?.  Obviously times and compensation has changed.

10 hours ago, Newsmarket said:

@Former poster, I have a question and maybe for others as well, why are you still here and how can you possibly make a living here with those numbers or do perhaps other agencies bring in the sales that you make a living on and this was/is just extra?.  Obviously times and compensation has changed.

Most people don't.

7-10 years ago you could.

Now most people on stock its an income top up alongside the day job.   You also need multiple agencies.

Exceptions for images are things like the massive studios.

Depends on your living costs - if youre somewhere where the average wage is $300 a month then you could make a living.  Its these areas SS is targeting for contributors combined with its pay cuts.

3 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Most people don't.

7-10 years ago you could.

Now most people on stock its an income top up alongside the day job.   You also need multiple agencies.

Exceptions for images are things like the massive studios.

Depends on your living costs - if youre somewhere where the average wage is $300 a month then you could make a living.  Its these areas SS is targeting for contributors combined with its pay cuts.

Thanks, I was wondering because you could literally make more money day trading stocks with no experience than this industry.

2 hours ago, Newsmarket said:

Thanks, I was wondering because you could literally make more money day trading stocks with no experience than this industry.

When SS first started and even up to maybe 10 years ago you could earn a few thousand dollars a month with a few hundred images.

Now you can earn a few tens of dollars with tens of thousands of images.

16 hours ago, Newsmarket said:

Yeah, well, you could also lose all your money if you're trading stocks with no experience.

Stock photography, on the other hand, is a zero risk low gain industry where you have nothing to lose. For most contributors, it's primarily a way to make money to pay for coffee and a couple of bills with your hobby.

1 hour ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Yeah, well, you could also lose all your money if you're trading stocks with no experience.

Stock photography, on the other hand, is a zero risk low gain industry where you have nothing to lose. For most contributors, it's primarily a way to make money to pay for coffee and a couple of bills with your hobby.

The day before yesterday I spent my money earned in July from Shutterstick.  Maybe I earn something with this photo  😁 (And the other photos)  A nice cheap hobby indeed

stock-photo-alkmaar-netherlands-august-chairs-table-on-a-dutch-terrace-with-menu-and-a-tray-with-a-2023964678.jpg

9 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Ive just upgraded my camera setup and been on a 2 week holiday with the stock (not just SS) money.

You wont get an income but it can add up to useful fun money.  Not with SS this month though - its 25% what Adobe is running at.

You mean with the money from the last month or .... ? :)

14 hours ago, DaLiu said:

You mean with the money from the last month or .... ? :)

Sadly not this month.

Although 3 months this year bought me a foreign holiday.

This month though is the worst for 9 years.  RPD has dropped through the floor.

20 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Sadly not this month.

Although 3 months this year bought me a foreign holiday.

This month though is the worst for 9 years.  RPD has dropped through the floor.

Could not agree more! With last clause!

Example update clause in database at SS would be:

update earnings_table set earnings_in_month=earnings_in_month*100 where contributor_name = 'your_contributor_name' and earnings_year=2021 and earnings_month=8

😁

This is an example how SQL database specalist would express a wish for better earnings. 😂

Take care!

P.

The difference between now and 5-7 years ago in microstock is that then it was a business. A business that could be built up by increasing production, efficiency and using experience with investment in better equipment and materials because the income generated by that 'effort' made the 'effort' invested worthwhile. Now, that is no longer the case for most contributors because the income for effort has become unreliable and has, in many cases, been decimated . Sure, now and again one gets lucky and gets a big SOD or a few ELs but that's more like doing the lottery and it is no longer the basis for a business.

Now it's just like a Dirty Harry movie...."Well, do ya feel lucky punk....well, do ya?" 

1 hour ago, stevemart said:

The difference between now and 5-7 years ago in microstock is that then it was a business. A business that could be built up by increasing production, efficiency and using experience with investment in better equipment and materials because the income generated by that 'effort' made the 'effort' invested worthwhile. Now, that is no longer the case for most contributors because the income for effort has become unreliable and has, in many cases, been decimated . Sure, now and again one gets lucky and gets a big SOD or a few ELs but that's more like doing the lottery and it is no longer the basis for a business.

Now it's just like a Dirty Harry movie...."Well, do ya feel lucky punk....well, do ya?" 

But, as I read through the various posts, you can see that the more professional photographers, photo editors are still catching a higher average price for their photos and sell more than us amateurs. And the professional people such as Murat and Doug (videos), who have also built up a huge amount, still have a nice income.
Not comparable to before of course.

1 hour ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

But, as I read through the various posts, you can see that the more professional photographers, photo editors are still catching a higher average price for their photos and sell more than us amateurs. And the professional people such as Murat and Doug (videos), who have also built up a huge amount, still have a nice income.
Not comparable to before of course.

As I have said many times, the stock business has evolved. Now it's high volume low margin. To make money you need a lot of high quality product.