This announcement says it all:

https://investor.shutterstock.com/news-releases/news-release-details/shutterstock-announces-formation-shutterstockai-and-acquisition

'to help creatives and customers accomplish their goals by making more data-informed content decisions'.

'Shutterstock.AI will help our customers globally solve the biggest creative challenge they have -- discovering and selecting the right content that is relevant, and that resonates with audiences'

'From autonomous vehicles, to content moderation, to AI powered process automation, Shutterstock.AI's high quality data and services will enable companies to develop the next generation of technologies."'

'...applying insights to any image for predictive analysis to ensure customers select the right image for social media and digital campaigns that will resonate with audiences'

This is pertinent both with regard to the review process and also the experiments we have seen on the site with regard to quality of our images etc.

24 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I looked at the pictures of Wilm. There are many high, often used which of course is correct. That might mean the numbers have to be much higher than 20. before being noticed by Al.

I looked at @Wilm Ihlenfeld's images too and thought the same but sadly the AI is still failing, as your image that has sold 20 times shows as 'low, not used' but mine that has sold 17 times shows as 'high, commonly used'.

Screenshot_20210728-111738_Samsung_Internet[1].jpg

Screenshot_20210728-111745_Samsung_Internet[1].jpg

Used etc isn't AI.  Thats just a simple database read (that doesnt work).

The lack of transparency is a nightmare.  Its rating images without them telling anyone how the rating works.  This means nobody has a clue what they're looking for and can't adapt their work accordingly.

They really do treat contributors as an inconvenience not an asset.

I think it is just showing the limitations of AI. Now, those limitations might get ironed out over time as the software gets more mature but we aren't there yet. Shutterstock knows that, we certainly do and, I suspect, so do the customers. 

Shutterstock already has the stock photography business. The problem is that it has become a low margin commodity one and growth is hard to come by. However, developing a really good AI takes the business in another direction and, potentially, towards high margin software solutions. 

And guess who they can test it one while they work out the bugs.

Deb and Thijs:

I still can't see this information about popularity and whether an image was used or not anywhere, unfortunately. I must have the wrong browsers. So I can't check if it's true what you see there.

Maybe this information is generated from a view/download ratio. Or maybe images sold through an API or partner agency can't be captured by the "AI". I don't know.

But it's true: more transparency and information for the contributors - shutterstock's capital - would be fair. But they don‘t care.

8 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Deb and Thijs:

I still can't see this information about popularity and whether an image was used or not anywhere, unfortunately. I must have the wrong browsers. So I can't check if it's true what you see there.

Maybe this information is generated from a view/download ratio. Or maybe images sold through an API or partner agency can't be captured by the "AI". I don't know.

But it's true: more transparency and information for the contributors - shutterstock's capital - would be fair. But they don‘t care.

Until recently I didn't see it either Wilm. Very enjoyable, but now it's visible on Chrome.
I found Steve's answer interesting in a similar topic.

2 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Until recently I didn't see it either Wilm. Very enjoyable, but now it's visible on Chrome.
I found Steve's answer interesting in a similar topic.

Hello Thijs,

now I can see the information too. As for my portfolio, the information is correct.

I then looked at the information for the "one account phenomenon" portfolio. However he does it, that all his images show up at the top of the search - it obviously doesn't do much. All images get high attention, but are not or hardly downloaded. Or in other words: many views, few or no downloads.
But since the images still appear at the top of the search, he has not only managed to place the images right after the upload at the top, but also that they stay there, although the algo takes the view/download ratio very strongly into account.

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Hello Thijs,

now I can see the information too. As for my portfolio, the information is correct.

I then looked at the information for the "one account phenomenon" portfolio. However he does it, that all his images show up at the top of the search - it obviously doesn't do much. All images get high attention, but are not or hardly downloaded. Or in other words: many views, few or no downloads.
But since the images still appear at the top of the search, he has not only managed to place the images right after the upload at the top, but also that they stay there, although the algo takes the view/download ratio very strongly into account.

This conversation is turning in circles in each of this threads about this.

The information is only correct for images that are older than a year. For images that are newer, Shutterstock will always claim they were not used yet. I have images that were submitted last year with 100+ downloads that are "not used yet" according to Shutterstock. Images with much less downloads which I submitted in 2019 or 2018 however are often listed as 'often used'.
Since the contributor from the One account phenomenon-thread  is a fairly new user who only started submitting in March 2021, most of his images are not older than a year and therefore Shutterstock will claim that his images were not used yet, even if they were downloaded 10.000 times.

All of this is not an AI problem, it's merely a coding problem when reading information from Shutterstock's database. Maybe someone wanted to base this information on some downloads per year factor, but did not consider what would happen if an image had not been up for a year already. Should not be hard to fix. Only problem is that Shutterstock probably isn't even aware of this problem and the fact that they are presenting false information to their customers.
Oh, if only there was a way of communication between SS and its contributors, like, let's say, a forum some admin would actually read or an e-mail address we could write to where someone other than just another contributor would receive our messages.... Oh, well. I guess that's what happens when you shut down any means of communication with contributors, because you do not consider them important enough...

44 minutes ago, Firn said:

This conversation is turning in circles in each of this threads about this.

The information is only correct for images that are older than a year. For images that are newer, Shutterstock will always claim they were not used yet. I have images that were submitted last year with 100+ downloads that are "not used yet" according to Shutterstock. Images with much less downloads which I submitted in 2019 or 2018 however are often listed as 'often used'.
Since the contributor from the One account phenomenon-thread  is a fairly new user who only started submitting in March 2021, most of his images are not older than year, therefore Shutterstock will claim that his images were not used yet, even if they were downloaded 10.000 times.

Yes, that's my impression. Steve wrote something similar. I am also a new contributor in relation to you, Steve and Wilm. So it looks sad for me too.

1 hour ago, Firn said:

Since the contributor from the One account phenomenon-thread  is a fairly new user who only started submitting in March 2021, most of his images are not older than a year and therefore Shutterstock will claim that his images were not used yet, even if they were downloaded 10.000 times.

Okay, I wasn't aware that he started in March 2021. I thought he started here much earlier. So you are right.

5 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Okay, I wasn't aware that he started in March 2021. I thought he started here much earlier. So you are right.

While Shutterstock doesn't post upload dates, they give all images consecutive ID numbers, so you can look at the ID number of his oldest picture and then find one that starts with the same digits in your port. That will give you a rough idea about when the image was uploaded. I compared it to some photos in my port and the numbers starting with the same few digits were from March last year. The date could possibly also be February or April, but somewhere around that time.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:08 PM, balajisrinivasan said:

I like the "Asset Data" thing. One of my images which has sold over 50 times has apparently "Not been Used" and hasn't been seen yet. Which means, if it's right (and I hope it is), I've made all that money without people ever making use of it. I'm happy with that.

Tell the IRS....then you don't have to pay tax on the income from all the images you haven't sold! ................but they won't believe you!😄

Seems the version of AI here is AUI.