I've been away - has similar content criteria changed in the last year?

Imagine I've been hiding under a rock for a year or so (since the 10 cent thing started).

I thought I would give it another go and uploaded some photos.  Got hit with the similar content rejection.  Looking for help understanding why.

(and yes, they aren't awesome photos, I'm still learning)

https://download.shutterstock.com/gatekeeper/W3siZCI6ICJzaHV0dGVyc3RvY2stdXBsb2FkcyIsICJrIjogInBlbmRpbmdfcGhvdG8vMjUyMDgwMzQ3MS9tZWRpdW0uanBnIiwgImUiOiAxNjI2NzM1NTMyLCAibSI6IDB9LCAiRzVFaGVtL003OWwzOWdTUmtBaE5iTi9CakZZIl0=/2009687444_medium.jpg

was rejected but the closest I've uploaded is 

https://image.shutterstock.com/shutterstock/photos/2009687228/display_1500/stock-photo-bowl-of-pitted-stoned-cherries-on-a-wood-table-2009687228.jpg

which was approved.  

So I read the help page: https://support.submit.shutterstock.com/s/article/Why-was-my-content-rejected-for-Similar-Content?language=en_US

From my (untrained) eye, I feel this was significantly different.  One shows only pitted cherries with open space.  The other has both whole and pitted cherries with a cloth and no space for words to go.  They did share a lot of keywords.  

Can you help me understand how I can avoid this error in the future or was uploading two cherry photos in one day the problem?  

I also have the impression that people are more likely to be rejected because of similar. The rejection of the gooseberry was not justified, but I should have expected it.
The rejection of the two hedge bindweed flowers photographed in a completely different place because of similar is very strange.
The tractor in the other photo was also rejected because of similar. While it is photographed larger and in a different place driving the other way. Other accepted photo (also rejected for Missing Model Release while I had still faded just to be sure the driver's unrecognizable face ) 

similar.jpg

I like the theory behind the similar rejections.  So often I search and there are pages of the same exactly the same photo with different colour grades (filters?) applied.

But, it is frustrating when feel like I'm following the guidelines, but it doesn't work.  The advise is to re-read the guidelines which say what I did was fine.  

10 hours ago, Crowing Hen said:

I like the theory behind the similar rejections.  So often I search and there are pages of the same exactly the same photo with different colour grades (filters?) applied.

If so, I hope the stolen photos on Shutterstock, which are very easy to spot as similar and get so much complained about, are over. 🙂

Also because no administrator can be reached anymore (I tried again because of unreliable links, which are posted on the forum).
Such reactions have become meaningless. A lot of things have been discussed a hundred times already, although I think the rejections have changed because of similar.

8 hours ago, stevemart said:

Declining rewards lead to waning interest among contributor forum participants (aka stock is not so hot as it was!).

I'm sad to hear it.

These forums were a great learning place to improve my photography.  I'm grateful.  

I haven't decided if I want to come back fully.  I've sold a few more photos on the other platform I upload to and the lowest they paid so far is $10, not $0.10 so I might just focus on the kind of content they like.  

I tried a few more and I'm stumped.  The similar rejection just isn't making sense.  It is like the reviewers are not working from the same help pages we are.  

I'm not seeing enough return for my time, so I'm going to go back to learning YouTube.  I'm over half way towards monetization.  Woot!

I'll probably stop by again this winter when we are doing a bunch of home renovations.  demolition photos seem to do well here.