Can't transfer footage to computer

I have just bought a Canon XF405 camcorder. It films fine, but I can't transfer the clips to computer. I connect the camcorder to the computer using the USB lead which came with my previous camera a Canon HFG25, but the camera does not appear in the computer and the camera screen does not show "Export" as it should. What is happening?

Why are you using the camera as a card reader? That method is intended to be used for emergencies only.  Take the SD cards out of the camera and use a $20 reader and transfer the clips to an external hard drive via your computer.  Make at least two backups of the footage and then re-format the cards onboard the camera. That's how the workflow is supposed to be done.

Just download directly from the SD card via a quality card reader, like a Lexar, or you might have an SD slot built into your computer.  Transfer the files manually into a folder, not using some app import feature. Make sure to format the card when you put it back in the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Connect the iPhone via a different USB port on Windows 10 PC. If you can't transfer photos from iPhone to Windows 10, the problem might be your USB port. ... If you're unable to transfer files while using USB 3.0 port, be sure to connect your device to a USB 2.0 port and check if that solves the problem.

MyCCPay