hello. there´s AI software appearing more and more that is doing a great job swapping faces with fake AI random ones. imagine you're doing a shoot and the model doesn't  want her face on stock websites. we'll just use the software to swap to another AI random face so there's no need for a model release. would shutterstock start to add an AI option for these kind of photos?

I think that ultimately the stock sites might like to cut out the middle person completely and just use AI generated photos.

As microstock appears to become more and more redundant for contributors with regard to rewards it feels to me that this is the way the stock sites are heading, combined with contributors who are willing to give away their images for free.

Below is an example:

https://generated.photos/

I am thinking, that why would  they do so? Nowadays you can generate music also, but the old music stock sites have not joined that culture. Instead we have some ai music sites that generate, typically very souless elevator music. If you are willing to take hours of your time to find one good song from all the bad ones, then you can use the ai music. That's at least my experience, but maybe I am picky?
https://www.aiva.ai/ 

If the ai will become so powerful that you can generate literally any image from scratch based on just what the user wants it to be, then you probably also can buy the ai tool for yourself and start generating without using any microstock sites at all.
It's one thing to generate image of a single face of someone, than generate for example an image of multiple people celebrating birthday of someone with a big cake on table, and then they have for example a crocodile maskot in background. Or something complex like that.

This will change when you actually can't tell the difference.  Its not like background music has piles of soul to begin with and model shoots are so modified they already don't look like real people.  So the gap between "real" and fully generated is not that wide.  Do you think most people would realize these are not real models? https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

6 hours ago, Emily Veinglory said:

This will change when you actually can't tell the difference.  Its not like background music has piles of soul to begin with and model shoots are so modified they already don't look like real people.  So the gap between "real" and fully generated is not that wide.  Do you think most people would realize these are not real models? https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

I am sure most would not notice if a face like that was somewhere. It needs some closer analysis to detect the fake. But is there for real a growing market for this kind of single headshots of random folks?

At this moment you either need to photoshop those faces somewhere and you need to try to change the lighting manually, or use some other ai tool for that. Or, these are probably already being used in some sort of an internet scams, for which those are "perfect". But if you need 2 photos of the same "person", or smiling version, or even side profile, as far I can tell, there is no way to get it.

20 hours ago, Rose Makin said:

Can you use them as reference for and illustration of a face?

It would still be a derivative work of something that someone made and so holds the copyright to.  Although whether the creator is the one who designed the software, the one that inputted the images it learn from or the one who made those images, or the one who pushed the button to create the specific face I honestly have no idea.  Regardless, the pixels were put in that order by human action.

23 hours ago, MrSorbias said:

I am sure most would not notice if a face like that was somewhere. It needs some closer analysis to detect the fake. But is there for real a growing market for this kind of single headshots of random folks?

At this moment you either need to photoshop those faces somewhere and you need to try to change the lighting manually, or use some other ai tool for that. Or, these are probably already being used in some sort of an internet scams, for which those are "perfect". But if you need 2 photos of the same "person", or smiling version, or even side profile, as far I can tell, there is no way to get it.

The proof of concept online is random, the underlying software can presumably serve you images within any desired parameters because its variance is actually a product of design and not random, or it would not generate persons only with or without whole spectacles, heads of hair  a uniform color etc. I am sure it could give you, for example, a three quarter profile of an attractive young long haired blonde women with no glasses on and blue eyes if you asked for it. In fact it could give you a whole array to choose from beyond the capacity of the real modelling world to provide. 

The only thing I doubt it can do right now is give you multiple different shots of this non-person but I doubt that is very far away.