Adobe wants to use your photo free for 1 year in exchange for $5... thoughts?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I believe that here lies a very crucial question about the raison d'être of microstock. There were these images that were talked about here. The images were really good. And because they were rea

Maybe, maybe not. One thing is pretty clear by now though, the more free images made available by others that are similar to the ones making you money now, the less likely you will be to sell your own

I went through the list and selected those photos which had never sold on Shutterstock. Until recently, AS was never a big seller for me so If I can make $5 for shots that haven't really been selling

Posted Images

I have now had a closer look at this issue.

These 209 images, which are considered by Adobe to be suitable for inclusion in the free collection, have actually only brought me about 100 downloads in the past 12 months, although I don't know exactly how many I have overlooked – it could also be considerably more.

Many of the images had only one download at €0.38, while others had 3 or 4 downloads that brought in up to €13.20. So if I knew which images Adobe chooses, I could think about it on a case-by-case basis if necessary.

But, and this is important: Adobe has selected many images of which I have very similar ones in the portfolio, which differ only minimally. And there are many that had 5, 10, 30, 50 or more downloads in the same period. Who would still buy them if they found something very similar in the free collection? Nobody. And some of these images have also brought in Enhanced Licenses. I haven't read anywhere if the images from the free collection may possibly be used in a way that would normally require an EL.

And that only applies to Adobe. How many times the selected images have been sold at other agencies is impossible for me to check. With a few images I know that there were a lot of downloads for example at shutterstock. These would then probably also fall away if they are available for free at Adobe.

In any case, before you make a decision, you should look very carefully at which images Adobe has selected and whether and how many very similar are still in the portfolio for normal sale. Otherwise, this can be a very big losing deal.

And there is something else to consider. Adobe does not tell us how often the images in the free collection have been downloaded. Maybe because that is not recorded by Adobe either. So if you think that the images perform better in a year because they get a better ranking through the many downloads, you are probably wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Roman Tiraspolsky said:

So, six of my photos had the honor of getting chosen into the free collection so far. Further review is ongoing. How did you guys do?

Hi, Roman, congratulations!

Of the 48 photos proposed for consideration from my portfolio, I left the selection boxes for about 30. So far, all of them have the status 'IN REVIEW'. Maybe they didn't like them in the end, or still have to wait.

16 hours ago, ANDY RELY said:

Hi, Roman, congratulations!

Of the 48 photos proposed for consideration from my portfolio, I left the selection boxes for about 30. So far, all of them have the status 'IN REVIEW'. Maybe they didn't like them in the end, or still have to wait.

Yes I have the same as you...all 5 of them say "in review"  we just have to wait and see what happens!

On 7/3/2021 at 3:10 AM, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

16 accepted for me, so far.

These images didn't even earn me even $20 in total during the past year so I'll take the $80 with no issues and put towards my drone purchase. 

AS free.JPG

My selected images made .32c here in two years I'll take $5 more