Adobe wants to use your photo free for 1 year in exchange for $5... thoughts?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe, maybe not. One thing is pretty clear by now though, the more free images made available by others that are similar to the ones making you money now, the less likely you will be to sell your own

It’s an interesting incentive which I fully support. If I can squeeze anything out of this dying industry (for microstock photos) I’m happy!

How is this any different than SS dropping our share of the sale to a fraction of what it was before? Everyone got mad last year, now people are happy to get scalped. Why? Because you get to choose wh

Posted Images

3 hours ago, KeremGogus said:

I have 2100+ images on my AS portfolio but they only made 3 of them eligible... They don't like my images much I think 😂

😄 Surely it’s the opposite. Your images are too good to be selected for this free collection. 😉👍

I am joining in as well. Only sold 15 images out of 199, and 13 are opted in.

Haven’t made € 5 on any of those sold images in a year, so it makes sense 😉

Well its the best way to implement it. After 12 months it goes back on sale, they are paying you so its not like for free for you. Also being in free section to me makes sense cause if they want other angles or variants then they have to pay. So for me its really good but for Adobe it just says that they are in it for the money and are desperate which is what devalues all of us there and here for that matter as it is a cheap photo site.

"If selected, these could be worth up to a total upfront payment of US$ 5675 "

I guess I have really bad sales for them to offer this to a giant pile of my pics.

I haven't even looked yet what they've marked as those that could be opted in. I have a feeling I'm going to nope out.

3 minutes ago, PanicAttack said:

You’ve got 2666 eligible assets that could earn you up to $13,330 upfront if selected for the free collection. ($5.00 per selected asset)

but as I said, only few nominated by me, even if they select all, it will be about 50-60 USD. 

I can't give away for "free" so many photos to any agency. 

Damn I would take 13 grand! 

31 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

I just don't like the gut feeling about this

I have the same feelings.

With a good portfolio like yours, it is not so easy to decide. My port is far from being as good as yours still things happen that make you think twice.

It could sound strange but there are not many images with more than 4 downloads a year (at most 10 images that sell constantly, for a while), not even in a big port.

This image was uploaded in 2012 and it was never sold until today, as far as I can remember.

1881414032_firstsale.jpg.4c2c89e3ebe10b0ea42d9d9e367989fd.jpg

If I get another download like this soon, I am over €5. Last month a buyer downloaded 64 of my images in one go on another agency, all subs and even some similars. I have no idea why, they were all editorial from the same location.

You never know what can happen in this business.

11 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I can‘t imagine that they would select editorials. These images can‘t be used for templates or anything else like this.

Of course they don't select editorials, this was just an example of how fast things can change with an image. I thought that goes without saying.

But who said that they want only images suitable for templates?

Indeed, they selected some backgrounds from my port too but many other subjects as well that I can't imagine being used on a template.

5 hours ago, Benedek Alpar said:

Eligible for free collection only near by downloads or date on the home page.

5 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Ole, the selection of the images that go into the free section can be determined by you individually. Under > dashboard you get that displayed there - see screenshot.

Thanks a lot - it is translated into something nonsense on my page ...!

Reading this thread I can't help but think that I am watching the last nail being driven into the coffin of microstock right before my eyes. This time though it's the contributors themselves doing all the pounding. I just can't say it as politely as Wilm, but for all of you who have been complaining about royalty cuts and lack of fairness and transparency in the industry, or harping on about the sheer contempt with which agencies treat contributors...well is it any wonder? If you are willing to literally give your work away by proxy through one of the largest and arguably wealthiest corporations in the business for the sake of a few up front shackles then I think you deserve what is coming to you. Or more to the point, long term what isn't. You are proving to everyone exactly what you are worth. And if you can't see how it "can hurt" then I ask you this, how long do you think SS will stand by with a growing free library of more or less curated images from one of their only remaining competitors. Ask yourself too why a corporation like Ad feels it necessary to have a free library in the first place, how it got to this point, and more importantly what happens next. What's the criteria going to be going forward not only for AS, but for others as they follow suit? Other than the short-sighted and insultingly obvious, how exactly does this benefit or enrich you in any way? If you actually believe that this is about cashing in for a quick and paltry buck then you never really understood the business side of this in the first place. If you can't see by now how this is just the first transitional step with more exciting news to come then I fear you will never understand. As Terry would say, to each their own though.

3 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

This is exactly it.

They know people like have "money in hand" rather than wait and see, and they're getting a large selection of images to spread out for nothing, for a nominal fee.

Hell, no.

It depends. Having given this some though, I looked at how many of my images have made more than $5 in all the time they have been available. In my case it is less than 10%. 

Now obviously, the good images, the ones that are making me all the money, I'm not going to make available.

However, for the others, the ones that don't sell too often, why not? Is it worth holding out in the hope that, just maybe in the next 12 months, some of them will make me a couple of ODDs, an SOD or an EL? 

1 hour ago, Charles Lewis said:

It depends. Having given this some though, I looked at how many of my images have made more than $5 in all the time they have been available. In my case it is less than 10%. 

Now obviously, the good images, the ones that are making me all the money, I'm not going to make available.

However, for the others, the ones that don't sell too often, why not? Is it worth holding out in the hope that, just maybe in the next 12 months, some of them will make me a couple of ODDs, an SOD or an EL? 

Maybe, maybe not. One thing is pretty clear by now though, the more free images made available by others that are similar to the ones making you money now, the less likely you will be to sell your own at any price going forward. At the same time, the more of your images you give away that are similar enough to another contributors marketed images, the less likely they will be able to sell those going forward. Everyone contributing to the aggregate demise even though it might initially have the appearance of being positive on an individual level. The macro of micro. What baffles me most I think is the underlying thread I see in many peoples attitudes that they are somehow immune from the adverse tit for tat effect of contributing to any free site. Does anyone here believe that their work is really so special that it can't be quickly replaced, particularly by a free alternative? If the image really doesn't sell, then ask yourself why not? If the answer is that it really isn't very good, then why would you want that consumer facing representation of yourself out there at all? 

The hard truth though is that whatever gain you might think you are getting now, it is transient. Fine if you are not interested in the money or don't have longer term ambitions, but then please don't complain about the actual business side of things (not saying you do specifically) when things don't work out. Don't get me wrong, I am being equally self serving by opting not to have anything to do with the scheme. I have a vested interest in being able to continue selling my images for money. I'm really not that interested in anyone else's success or failure aside from where it might impact my own or the overall health and sustainability of the market in general. 

5 hours ago, Foodio said:

Maybe, maybe not. One thing is pretty clear by now though, the more free images made available by others that are similar to the ones making you money now, the less likely you will be to sell your own at any price going forward. At the same time, the more of your images you give away that are similar enough to another contributors marketed images, the less likely they will be able to sell those going forward. Everyone contributing to the aggregate demise even though it might initially have the appearance of being positive on an individual level. The macro of micro. What baffles me most I think is the underlying thread I see in many peoples attitudes that they are somehow immune from the adverse tit for tat effect of contributing to any free site. Does anyone here believe that their work is really so special that it can't be quickly replaced, particularly by a free alternative? If the image really doesn't sell, then ask yourself why not? If the answer is that it really isn't very good, then why would you want that consumer facing representation of yourself out there at all? 

The hard truth though is that whatever gain you might think you are getting now, it is transient. Fine if you are not interested in the money or don't have longer term ambitions, but then please don't complain about the actual business side of things (not saying you do specifically) when things don't work out. Don't get me wrong, I am being equally self serving by opting not to have anything to do with the scheme. I have a vested interest in being able to continue selling my images for money. I'm really not that interested in anyone else's success or failure aside from where it might impact my own or the overall health and sustainability of the market in general. 

Yes that's the problem.
The problem is... if I don't do it, others will. Stopping downloading to Shutterstock in protest didn't help, because there are 1000 others in your place.
Not participating in this promotion from Adobe will not change anything. So I'll have to see what's best for me. The other side... If they end up choosing just a few photos. Does that small profit outweigh the unpleasant feeling it produces. 🤔

18 hours ago, KeremGogus said:

Thank you so much! I have my digital artwork / illustrations on AS. I never knew what people want... Never been popular anyway 😅

Only photos can be selected for review for the free collection.

16 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Thanks for the information, romi. Then I must have drawn the wrong conclusion, because no vector was selected from my portfolio. Sorry.

No vectors