Adobe wants to use your photo free for 1 year in exchange for $5... thoughts?

1 minute ago, luca pbl said:

I have one eligible with over 50 downloads, but the last of these is over 1 year ago

For me only the total number of dl-s is of interest, I don't care how many dl-s they had in the last year. I had never heard anyone evaluating an image by last year sales, especially when it was such a special year with a devastating blow for this business and the world economy because of the pandemic.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe, maybe not. One thing is pretty clear by now though, the more free images made available by others that are similar to the ones making you money now, the less likely you will be to sell your own

I believe that here lies a very crucial question about the raison d'être of microstock. There were these images that were talked about here. The images were really good. And because they were rea

It’s an interesting incentive which I fully support. If I can squeeze anything out of this dying industry (for microstock photos) I’m happy!

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

For me only the total number of dl-s is of interest, I don't care how many dl-s they had in the last year. I had never heard anyone evaluating an image by last year sales, especially when it was such a special year with a devastating blow for this business and the world economy because of the pandemic.

I mean, Adobe gives me the ability to put this photo in its free collection. Instead the other ones with more than 20 downloads,  but recent, it doesn't give me the ability.  Hope I explained myself.....

33 minutes ago, luca pbl said:

Hope I explained myself.....

I am sorry, it was not personal. By no means, you don't need to explain yourself but I dare make a small correction: it is you who gives AS permission (ability) to put your photo in its free collection and not vice-versa.

35 minutes ago, luca pbl said:

Adobe gives me the ability to put this photo in its free collection

If they finally choose 2 photos from the 42 selected photos, I get 10 dollars. Then there is also a good chance that I will also earn that amount with those two photos.
If they pick all 42 photos, I'll make $210. The chance that on average I will get so much for those photos is minimal. My photos are not bought as often and as expensive as those of Wilm, for example.
I'm still not for free photos, but still doubting. I think, then, very selfishly only of myself. We can't change measures, we've seen that at Shutterstock.

37 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

I'm sorry - I know it's not the right forum - but how can I see the images they have chosen ..?

On your dashboard, scroll down until you see the dark blue bar. Then , on the top right of your port that shows up tick the box for  "Eligible for free collection".

That is if you are looking for the eligible images.

eligible.jpg.eeff7ca575a975e2d5267d5850e81321.jpg

11 minutes ago, KeremGogus said:

Thank you so much! I have my digital artwork / illustrations on AS. I never knew what people want... Never been popular anyway 😅

Thijs de Graaf is right, your work is amazing. They only accept photos at the moment and yours are mostly illustrations, aren't they?

illustr.thumb.jpg.f914c3d6960b70977b74f2df97ba5aca.jpg

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/free-collection-contributor-information.html

21 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

I'm sorry - I know it's not the right forum - but how can I see the images they have chosen ..?

Ole, the selection of the images that go into the free section can be determined by you individually. Under > dashboard you get that displayed there - see screenshot.

Free.jpg

8 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

Thijs de Graaf is right, your work is amazing. They only accept photos at the moment and yours are mostly illustrations, aren't they?

Thank you so much - very kind of you! Yes %99 of my work on AS are illustrations. And thank you for the information; I didn't know they strictly go for the photos. That explains it! 

8 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

You are welcome. How could you even think that they don't like your beautiful work?

That's not quite right, Whiteaster. Vector files are obviously excluded. But besides photos, they also selected various illustrations/3D renderings.

Kerem: Your portfolio is impressive without question. It certainly has nothing to do with that.

The way I see it, there are landscapes, but also many single objects, textures, backgrounds and isolated objects.

I opted in - as they are only choosing files that have sold less than 4 times in the last year - OK so it's a gamble, but £3.75 per image chosen could be quite a nice earner - plus it's only for 1 year - if it included best sellers on there, I wouldn't opt in - also you can disable the images you don't want included, which I've done as a few of those have done well on other sites, so don't want to 'give' them away.

I see Firn's point above, and yes there will be abuse - but for me personally - it *could* work out to be a good little earner .  I am prepared to take a chance for a few hundred images - but thats just me.