Adobe wants to use your photo free for 1 year in exchange for $5... thoughts?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe, maybe not. One thing is pretty clear by now though, the more free images made available by others that are similar to the ones making you money now, the less likely you will be to sell your own

I believe that here lies a very crucial question about the raison d'être of microstock. There were these images that were talked about here. The images were really good. And because they were rea

It’s an interesting incentive which I fully support. If I can squeeze anything out of this dying industry (for microstock photos) I’m happy!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, James Jiao said:

"up to a total upfront payment of US$ 5" can be anything less than 5, right?

No, their quote indicates you get $5 per selected photo.  "You’ll receive an upfront payment of US$5 for each photo that we accept and include in the free collection non-exclusively for 12 months." 

I have 42 photos eligible. If all 42 are chosen, I'll make $210. That is probably more than I would otherwise earn from the photos. Not unreasonable in that regard.
The only thing I don't like is that my photos are being given away for free.
What's the next step?
I haven't decided yet. I suspect that if everyone agrees, only a small part of my photos will be selected.
In any case, this is something on a voluntary basis with a clear explanation. Those are not the measures at Shutterstock and Alamy,

1 minute ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I have 42 photos eligible. If all 42 are chosen, I'll make $210. That is probably more than I would otherwise earn from the photos. Not unreasonable in that regard.
The only thing I don't like is that my photos are being given away for free.

Only for a period of 12 months and only to customers who have paid for an Adobe subscription. So it isn't as bad as letting everyone download it for free indefinitely.

27 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Only for a period of 12 months and only to customers who have paid for an Adobe subscription. So it isn't as bad as letting everyone download it for free indefinitely.

You've got that right. Maybe I'll agree after all.

Let's take a closer look at this topic.

1) There are 209 images selected from my portfolio that are eligible for the free section.
- None of these images has 0 downloads.
- The first 6 images together have over 300 downloads.
So it is not that images with 0 downloads are selected.

2) What is Adobe trying to do?
They write themselves that they are looking for a wide range of images for the free section to cover as many topics as possible.
I suspect that the point is not to have an enormous amount of free images, but to have a balanced, high quality and interesting variety of images.

Unlike shutterstock, Adobe makes the money not from stock media, but from selling subscriptions to their software products. They want to make these products more interesting to attract even more customers.

3) Problems I see with this offer
The images that are included in the free section may be used and modified by Adobe itself for templates and so on. These templates and modified images may continue to be distributed and used for free by Adobe even if the images are removed from the free section after one year. They thus become sort of public domain. And there will be no further payment for this.

I believe that it is exactly these templates and the continued use of the images that Adobe is concerned about. Why would a customer who subscribed anyway want to look in the free section? After all, he has already paid. 

Moreover, we are hollowing out our own business model with something like this. It is becoming increasingly clear in the minds of buyers that good images don't have to cost anything.

I assume that a maximum of a handful of my pictures would be selected – if at all. That would bring me then maximally €25, -. Maybe even only €5,- or €10,-. But if now the pictures are selected, which already had 25 or 50 or nearly 100 downloads, I miss the possible income for one year. Just one sold extended license would bring me more money than €25,-.

For me, this is not an option. I will not release my images in any case!

Adobe would be digging its own grave if they included all eligible images in the free section. That would be millions of images. All Adobe customers would take out the smallest subscription possible and then help themselves to the free section.
Adobe can't want that at all.

So anyone who makes the mistake of extrapolating "3000 of my images are eligible, that's $15000" is dead wrong! 

From my point of view there is only one profiteer in this action – and that is Adobe.

I had 843 images selected and while I am having an incredible hard time to establish any kind of regular sellers on Adobe,  a lot of the images Adobe selected are regular sellers for me on other agencies. Even some of my absolute best sellers from other agencies were selected and I have no interest in offering images for free for just $5 that generate regular income on other agencies, when it is foreseeable that offering an image for free at one place might have a negative effect on sales at other places. (And not just for the 12 months Adobe will offer the images for free - Once they have been made available for free, they will stay available for free through all the people who downloaded them - you will find them on free wallpaper pages, free image libraries and probably even some paid ones for the rest of your life)
I selected a few that don't really sell well anywhere, but most of the images Adobe wants for their collection are "too good" to be offered for free for that little money.

So it is not that images with 0 downloads are selected.

They selected 24 photos from me that have 0 sales. No idea what the selection was based on.

32 minutes ago, Firn said:

"...most of the images Adobe wants for their collection are "too good" to be offered for free for that little money."

As you and Wilm Ihlenfeld suggest, no one wants to see their image made available as wallpaper forever - but Shutterstock buyers who pay .10 cents for your image also have the use of your photo forever.  With this Adobe offer, you can only make your low sellers available. You don't have to provide them with all the images they selected.

I am in the same boat as Firn.

I have 681 eligible assets out of a port of 2800, they all have at least one dl.

upfront.jpg.50304935cf3fc4e47796047443cfbb94.jpg

At first glance €3,405 looks good, it is almost my lifetime earnings on AS but I am sure they would like to approve these images with a considerable number of dl-s.

nominate.jpg.4e6797c3c55268578f75268a494aa695.jpg
 AS was never a big seller for me and if I add to these downloads the earnings from other agencies, I think I would shoot myself in the foot (upfront).

In general, I don't agree with anything for free but if I want to do charity, I can give away my work without a middleman. AS never gave a shit about the stock photo collection, it was always the carrot on the stick for their software. As said above, they only care for their own interest.

Just to please AS, I will still nominate some images that have few sale  on all agencies.

6 hours ago, Benedek Alpar said:

I just checked my port on AS and i find an interesting aspect, images with more than 20 downloads are not selected, any thoughts?

Yes, and probably the forgotten ones, too. I have one eligible with over 50 downloads, but the last download is happen over 1 year ago

44 minutes ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

but Shutterstock buyers who pay .10 cents for your image also have the use of your photo forever. 

I don't see the connection. They can "have" the image forever. Such customer need to have a subscription plan that actually costs them 1000$+ a year. They paid for that.
It's a great difference to a gallery where everyone can download unlimited images for free and all you need for that is to enter some e-Mail address for registration that you can create everywhere in 3 minutes. You can be absolutely certain that these images will end up in places like free wallpaper downloads even though the license does not allow this. It's a different thing with a paying contributor. Does abuse/misuse happen with paying customers as well? Of course! But if you have to give your e-mail, payment information and actually pay for it, there is a much bigger inhibition threshold to misuse the images.

And, in case there is a misunderstanding here - I am not talking about "I am not giving my images away for free" vs "I am giving away my image for 0.10$". I am never giving my images away for 0.10$. Yes, from individual customers that might be the price I get per sale, but I am not selling an image for 0.10$ ONCE and then the image is not sell-able anymore. That's quite different with a free image. Offer an image for free and you can basically say good-bye to the sale-potential of it. I could just as well be giving away my copyright of an image for $5. And that's something I might be willing to do with an image that never really sells on any agency, where I can expect that $5 is more than the image might earn me in a lifetime. $5 is still better than 0$. But I am certainly not going to do this with an image where I can be absolutely certain that it will earn me more than $5 within a year, let alone with an image that earns me 3-figures.