Yeah...

I'd really to see the price of the footage when 30% from it is 25 cents. It should be less than 1$.

I can't see this price in any Clip packs. There are some happy hours for the customers of which the contributors are not aware.

23 minutes ago, TaniaLi said:

Yeah...

I'd really to see the price of the footage when 30% from it is 25 cents. It should be less than 1$.

I can't see this price in any Clip packs. There are some happy hours for the customers of which the contributors are not aware.

Tania, they have a whole range of special deals with various clients that are outside the standard prices.

And yes, they are not transparent, nor do they show what sizes they customers bought. They never will 😞

A screen grab from here

What usage is permitted with the Shutterstock Footage license? - 24/7 Shutterstock Customer Support & Help

Screenshot 2021-07-08 061002.jpg

11 hours ago, TaniaLi said:

Right now it doesn't look fair.

You always have the freedom to go someplace else where you will be treated fairly.

BTW, I like the look of the animations in your portfolio but it does not surprise me that you don't get very many sales. I find it hard to imagine how an editor would use them in an actual production.  For example, when you create something like the following graphic, who do you think will buy it and how do you think they will use it? Can it be customized by the end user?

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1019590174-successful-business-concept-strategy-economic-growth-cost

1 hour ago, Doug Jensen said:

You always have the freedom to go someplace else where you will be treated fairly.

BTW, I like the look of the animations in your portfolio but it does not surprise me that you don't get very many sales. I find it hard to imagine how an editor would use them in an actual production.  For example, when you create something like the following graphic, who do you think will buy it and how do you think they will use it? Can it be customized by the end user?

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-1019590174-successful-business-concept-strategy-economic-growth-cost

If I was said editor, I would color key the white background out and replace it with some other, blurred footage. Then I would have some elevator music and someone from fiver.com voice overing how much profit you would do by doing a contract with my business. But it would need to be done fast, because the timer is ticking all the time and only by being really fast you can be that happy guy at the end of the clip.

Jokes aside. There is 4 different icon animations I could use separately in my different videos and I think they are really good and useful icon animations for many purposes. With little additional work, I could even convert them to be used in some web page as some animated icons.

15 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Really?  What are you going to do with the 1/3 grad gray background when you start chopping it up inot 4 different icon?  And how these graphics going to mesh with all the other graphics that probably need to be created to complete the video?  I think what you'd actually do, MrSorbias, is choose another clip to buy that better fit your needs, or you'd make your own animation(s) from scratch.  🙂

Again, I'm not saying these designs are bad (I actually kind of like the look and style) but I still wondering WHO is the intended customer and how/why would they use these clips in a finished production.  Surely whenever someone submits new content these question ought to already be at the forefront of someone's mind.

It indeed would be helpful if the animations were in JSON format, but I still think I could work with these, if the client wanted them for their video/website. That also is my tip for TaniaLiFind a stock service that sells lottie files and become a contributor there. I am thinking that you probably do those in After Effects, so you can also export Lottie.

Since the end of June I get about 50 sales every single day for 0.25 cents. The clips that are selling for 0.25 are all the same 6/8 videos over and over 

I tried emailing support for an answers but I had no specific explanation about these 0.25 mass sales. June was best month of the year, which was above 2'000 $ in revenue from shutterstock bringing my account back to pre pandemic figures. 

Only thing is having 50 downloads a day for 0.25 is worrying my a little especially after coming across this article:

https://www.cined.com/powerdirector-365-adds-shutterstock-content-for-free-with-update/

On 7/7/2021 at 11:43 PM, Milleflore Images said:

Tania, they have a whole range of special deals with various clients that are outside the standard prices.

And yes, they are not transparent, nor do they show what sizes they customers bought. They never will 😞

You know, it's the most frustrating thing.
if they would show that they sell my footage for 1$
I would say ok, I see that I got my 15 or 30%
They are so proud of their Levels system and it's their only answer for all your questions.
But I see that I get 26 cents on the 1st level and 25 cents on the 4th Level.
Someone told me that 25 cents are a minimum payout for the footage. So when I get 25 cents then actually I earn less than 25 cents. Shutterstock is just so kind and they don't want to pay me too small.
They just sell our works so cheap so it's just embarrassing to show those prices.
The system is flexible only for the customers.
That's why I don't upload anything here anymore. I've got recently few emails where I got higher level and I decided to check and I'm surprised with what is going on here)

and why I didn't get an email where they told me that my works cost nothing but they will pay me 25 cents per download. Probably I would think 25 cents instead of nothing is a good deal)

My July... I'm at a loss...

Snap8020868.jpg.94cfdde261d142493ec2dd218c5273dd.jpg

and their answer: "They have informed that these earnings are generated from downloads on a footage marketplace that reaches an audience of millions who have never bought traditional stock footage before. These customers will have a very limited license to use the footage clips; clips will be licensed for use on a single platform to produce short-form digital content. Since the license is very limited, the earnings are lower than what you are used to receiving from the core Shutterstock collection."

Hello,

in the past few weeks my footage sales have "skyrocketed" again after the pandemic. That's fine, but

like for many others here - most of the sales were for $ 0.25. I definitely have nothing to sell for that price! That's theft. I just disabled the video licensing for my port and maybe you should do the same.

Greetings from Germany

18 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

“Wochit is disrupting video production ..”

Yes, I can vividly imagine that ..! Surely also disrupting the cost 😵

Finally got a response from SS support and its just as confusing as these low sales prices. Banging my head against a brick wall might be more productive. 

Question:

"Please could you explain to me; 

1. Why regardless of my 5% increase in commission I still receive $0.25? 
2. How much the customer is paying for these $0.25 sales?
3. What is the quality of footage they are buying, 720,1080? 
4. What sites they are using to purchase these low-cost clips from? 

Please advise."

Answer:

"Thanks for reaching out to Shutterstock Contributor Care

All the earnings that you are provided are from sales made on the Shutterstock website, right now the earnings are all the same for all contributors, if they were to update or change in any way, we will let you know right away, please let us know if there is something else that we can assist you with, thank you. "

Baffling 🙄

On 7/10/2021 at 9:37 AM, ViggoWe said:

My July... I'm at a loss...

Snap8020868.jpg.94cfdde261d142493ec2dd218c5273dd.jpg

and their answer: "They have informed that these earnings are generated from downloads on a footage marketplace that reaches an audience of millions who have never bought traditional stock footage before. These customers will have a very limited license to use the footage clips; clips will be licensed for use on a single platform to produce short-form digital content. Since the license is very limited, the earnings are lower than what you are used to receiving from the core Shutterstock collection."

Thanks for posting this. I think this is the definitive answer.

I have now had 300 of these 25c sales this month, and I've noticed a trend. They are the same ones that are selling over and over again. Mine are mainly very old food and finance clips from my first year of video, and frankly, I consider them to have very low current commercial value anyway. In fact, my best work have not sold for these prices. I have checked this with a friend, and he says similar. 

SS said above that it’s for a new set of buyers who ‘have never bought traditional stock footage before’. They are also not making much money on these. 25c for video, is like 10c for photos. You can’t go any lower. They could be making next to nothing - but have to pay us the minimum. However, they are locking these new buyers into buying footage from them. Kind of like when agencies like AS give away freebies, to bring in new markets. And it looks like SS have covered themselves by possibly only offering a very limited range of videos to these particular buyers. They can do this, they have done it before for other things.

This situation reminds me of the old $1.50 commissions when they first came in. We were all horrified at first, but in the long term, I realised that they were incremental sales that I would not have earned otherwise. But on the positive side, all the downloads helped with those videos' search placement. In fact I just sold one of these 25c videos for a decent $23.70 cart sales - so the better search placement possibly helped. 

Plus all these downloads are helping with video level advancement.

The other thing to remember is its summer-slump time with notoriously low video sales at this time of the year. So to me, its just an additional $75 that I possibly would not have earned otherwise. 

I am just trying to add some sense to all of this, and hopefully help others feel a bit more proactive about the situation. As Ole said above, and as Doug said, if you dont like it, you can always remove these videos or whatever. But I'm leaving mine there because I consider them additional revenue on some old LCV video stock that probably wouldn't have sold anyway.