Are you planning to travel this year?

I am based in The Netherlands and things are slowly opening up again. As the vaccination program continues, traveling to other countries will become easier too (mandatory test / proof of vaccination). Hopefully all will be close to normal by the end of this summer. 😉

Don’t think I will be traveling overseas this year and more likely enjoy everything we have missed out on, in my own country. 

I am due to be vaccinated in two weeks, which is scary on one hand - don’t want to be that person that drops dead after the shot - but - fingers crossed - on the other hand I am expecting to feel relieved after vaccination. 

Hopefully we will all be able to travel the world again and leave this nightmare behind us. 😉

Also live in the Netherlands. At the beginning of June we get the second vaccination. Last year our trip to Italy was canceled of course. We then converted the deposit into a hotel in Leeuwarden in August for three days.
A city in the Netherlands, where there was little Corona at that time. But you had to arrange a museum visit in advance. The morning breakfast was in two groups at different times to keep better distance. That made us feel safe, but didn't really give a holiday feeling. (and it stormed and rained some of the time 😁)
I fear that these kinds of measures will continue this year, although the infections are now getting better in Europe. We will therefore not make any agreements yet and will wait a while. The advantage is, of course, that we are retired. So we don't have to plan anything in connection with holidays.

I'm in India where we are just beginning to recover from an almost apocalyptic situation. Lockdowns are going to be in force for another couple of months at least. After that, who knows? A 3rd wave? Another disease? Is the world ever going to let people from my country in without extreme scrutiny? Are we ever going to be able to roam freely like we used to? It's all a bit uncertain. If the lockdown eases, I might travel around India for a bit because it's been 15 months since I've left my city. But I don't think international travel is going to happen at least for a couple of years.

70% of people in San Francisco are fully vaccinated, so things are opening up here for us. Had our first street fair yesterday in the city. I'm looking forward to more traveling, starting with flying to Arizona to visit my oldest and help take care of the grandson while she goes into the hospital to deliver our granddaughter. I haven't seen them in person since the week before we went into lock down mode in 2020.

I live in South Africa where we have a variant "of concern" we are just about to go into our 3rd wave, apparently the peak in the Western Cape will be end June....at this rate there will be absolutely no travel at all, even though I have family scattered all over the world, we manage on FaceTime or WhatsApp...

South Africa seems to be banned by most of the world at this moment, and I totally understand why, so we can't travel freely even if we want to....

Secondly we have only just started our vaccination process and have not even got through half the medical personnel yet...so without a vaccination "passport" I doubt we will be allowed into any other country!

29 minutes ago, PlopandShoot said:

Here in Canada we're slowly getting out of lockdown. I have to admit I am embarrassed and ashamed at the way my country has dealt with the vaccine hoarding issues. Canada should have been doing more to help other countries. Instead, we hoarded (and still are) like some other rich nations. I've had my first dose with no side effects (Pfizer). 

Travel will be curtailed for a long time since our government cannot seem to understand that if no one else is vaccinated, there's no place to go "to". 

The U.S. hasn't been much better. We are holding onto way too much vaccine as well. Most of the people who want a vaccine have gotten it, except for the areas where access is difficult. We have expanded to kids 12 and up and are working on that age group (I'm working another vaccine clinic this wednesday before heading out on my little trip) but the huge numbers of people showing up at clinics has greatly diminished from what I've experienced. If we can't get immunity up in the rest of the world, there is still the possibility of a resistent varient forming. Doesn't help that our leaders (in the U.S.) seem to be more interested in keeping their jobs than doing their jobs.

31 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

If we can't get immunity up in the rest of the world, there is still the possibility of a resistent varient forming.

Totally agree with you, if Africa (and other continents) lags behind, then these "variants of concern" will just keep forming and become more worrisome for even those countries that have high vaccination rates.  

Without stepping on anyone's toes here or causing a massive argument....Africa has been donated quite a lot of vaccines already but Malawi, DR Congo and (I think) Sudan have already had to return a lot of vaccines before expiry date because there were insufficient amount of people who want vaccines...in my opinion this will be the weakest link.  Here in South Africa we are still waiting for vaccines to arrive...they seem to be in short supply and we also started our procurement of them far too late!

Anyway I have gone off the subject a bit, better keep to the subject of travel planning....

I think California is a sort of hopeful glimpse into the future for much of the rest of the world. About half of the population is vaccinated, and things are opening up. Life feels almost normal, except for the masks indoors, which will hopefully come off in June. My little family here is all fully vaccinated, including the teens. The weight has completely lifted off my shoulders, I do not think or worry about Covid anymore as I go about my life. I felt pretty terrible for about 12 hours after getting my second dose, but it's all worth it. The rest of my family had zero side effects from it.

We traveled to Yosemite last week on a spur of the moment, and it was wonderful. Very much uncrowded, since none of the international tourists were there. (Just the fact that we were able to get a couple of nights at the Lodge with short notice speaks volumes.)

I am booked on a flight to Germany in July, hoping that the situation there will look much better by then than it is right now. It's not a touristy trip, I need to go see my Dad. Otherwise I don't think I would want to fly overseas yet this year.

10 minutes ago, Milo J said:

I think California is a sort of hopeful glimpse into the future for much of the rest of the world. About half of the population is vaccinated, and things are opening up.

In Northern California, yes. A lot of people are getting vaccinated. In Southern California, not so much. My dtr that still lives there had no trouble getting the vaccine because so many anti-vaxers live there. It's insane. I find it incredible to find that I really did not know a lot of the people I hung out with when we lived there. I lived in So Cal most of my life up until the last 8 years, when we moved up to Nor Cal. So I think the lower half of the state will be having some issues for awhile yet, but we'll see.

Just now, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

In Northern California, yes. A lot of people are getting vaccinated. In Southern California, not so much. My dtr that still lives there had no trouble getting the vaccine because so many anti-vaxers live there. It's insane. I find it incredible to find that I really did not know a lot of the people I hung out with when we lived there. I lived in So Cal most of my life up until the last 8 years, when we moved up to Nor Cal. So I think the lower half of the state will be having some issues for awhile yet, but we'll see.

I live in San Diego county, things are pretty good. We are at 67% one dose, 47% fully vaccinated. Also, add to that a bunch of folks who've had it and didn't get a shot because they think they're naturally immune. I personally know several people like that.

18 minutes ago, Milo J said:

Also, add to that a bunch of folks who've had it and didn't get a shot because they think they're naturally immune. I personally know several people like that.

Plenty of studies out now showing that's a correct assumption.  Showing a 94% protection against reinfection which is the same as the mRNA vaccines and hugely better than AstraZenica/Johnson.
Some countries aren't vaccinating confirmed infections or knocking them to last place for that reason.  Others are looking at a single jab vaccination for previously infected people.

8 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Plenty of studies out now showing that's a correct assumption.  Showing a 94% protection against reinfection which is the same as the mRNA vaccines and hugely better than AstraZenica/Johnson.
Some countries aren't vaccinating confirmed infections or knocking them to last place for that reason.  Others are looking at a single jab vaccination for previously infected people.

The only thing is the immunity might not be as long lived. Read an article on that saying natural immunity lasts about 6 months, whereas they expect vaccine immunity to last a year. (Not sure what they base that statement on, as vaccines haven't been around yet for a year, but that's what the article said.)

2 hours ago, Milo J said:

I live in San Diego county, things are pretty good. We are at 67% one dose, 47% fully vaccinated. Also, add to that a bunch of folks who've had it and didn't get a shot because they think they're naturally immune. I personally know several people like that.

I guess it's just Orange County that has all the anti vaxers then. That's where we used to live (and one of my dtrs still lives there with her boyfriend). I've had several people ask about booster shots (when I'm working vaccine clinics) and I just tell them we aren't sure since this is all new but that we most likely will need one down the line. I'm sure they're still checking the titers on the first recipients to see how high their antibody counts are periodically. As those start to taper, they'll have a baseline for how long vaccine immunity works. We get a lot of people who have had an active infection and still come in to get the vaccine. We prefer they wait three months after the infection, but will give it unless they had it in the last 30 days. Too risky if the infection was that recent as their body will treat it as an active infection and they could end up in ICU.

3 hours ago, Milo J said:

The only thing is the immunity might not be as long lived. Read an article on that saying natural immunity lasts about 6 months, whereas they expect vaccine immunity to last a year. 

Again that isn't the case, as far as we have data for (which is about 14 months) there've been no detected reduction in immunity at all in any study or preprint.  (and as you say, we have no idea if vaccine protection lasts the same, longer or shorter anyway).
So far neither natural or vaccine have seen declines for the duration of whatever study was run for.

What we are seeing though in the UK (via KCL data) is previously infected people are twice as likely to experience systemic side effects vs uninfected.

I've been fully vaccinated for almost two months now. I've already done a three week road trip last month to see family and spend a few days in Big Bend national park hiking and mountain biking. In the next couple of weeks I'll be in Orlando, San Diego, and Boston.   Life is back to normal . . .  for the time being.

Reading from your comments, I think my situation is a bit different since I've been trapped in my city for the past 15 months. So unlike some of you who can visit other cities at least, it's not possible for me. 😂

What I can do is to explore more of our countryside. Idyllic villages, sea cliffs, hidden beaches etc. I'm quite surprised many of these rural areas are actually very scenic, sometimes even world-class.

I also watched a lot of travel or street walking videos, hopefully I can visit all these places in the near future.

On 5/30/2021 at 8:36 PM, balajisrinivasan said:

I'm in India where we are just beginning to recover from an almost apocalyptic situation. Lockdowns are going to be in force for another couple of months at least. After that, who knows? A 3rd wave? Another disease? Is the world ever going to let people from my country in without extreme scrutiny? Are we ever going to be able to roam freely like we used to? It's all a bit uncertain. If the lockdown eases, I might travel around India for a bit because it's been 15 months since I've left my city. But I don't think international travel is going to happen at least for a couple of years.

I felt extremely heartbroken watching the news. I saw people searching for oxygen for their love ones, and many of the patients weren't even admitted to the hospitals...I still remember vividly how much sufferings my mom had to endure when she had difficulty to breathe during her final stage of cancer. But at least she had good medical care...I just can't imagine watching your love ones dying on the street.

The number of cases are dropping now, hopefully with more people get vaccinated, things will return normal later this year.

Stay safe!