I started in late 2019. Insect photography does not yield much. So I didn't have high expectations, but still saw the income go up every month.
And a friendly forum. Administrators, who helped you when needed.
That all changed at the end of May. Adminstrators gone, announcement a few days before, which were executed.
Everyone expected that something had to be done because of the enormous supply. But it is understandable that it changed the atmosphere on the forum in this way. But there's little point in complaining about it.
You better can discuss other possibilities. There are enough topics about that already.
Alamy announced last month that people who make little money out of their photos will go from 40% to 20%.
When someone said something about that, they pointed to the announcement and immediately closed the topic. Then I'd rather complain on the Shutterforum.
By the way, I still find it more fun here than on the Alamy forum.
With still interesting topics, such as the interview with Doug. How the Corona is going in the different countries, etc.
Not everything is negative on the forum.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And before anyone starts saying, 'yeah but she's been here for 8 years and she's got 10k photos, blah, blah, blah.' I started with nothing but an old Nikon d90 camera and a kit lens. I knew nothi

Me:  Terry, help! I've set up a party table with all these balloons and I've got reflections and blown out highlights all over the place. Terry: Turn your lights away from the table and bounce th

Just sold a photo for 49$. This has to be my biggest single sale reward ever. There's hope

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

As Wirestock is mentioned in this thread as a way to earn a higher percentage with Sstock, I'll point out here that they aren't brilliant with keywords (if you choose that option).

I have some dolls in my portfolio but the word 'doll' isn't included in the title or keywords.

Also, I have put Latin names in the notes to reviewer which aren't included in the title or keywords and I've put 'Mute swan' in the notes to reviewer on one and the word 'mute' isn't included in the title or keywords.

I've not done the keywords myself as I wanted to avoid this (although I did add notes for essential information) but unfortunately if you take that option, you can't then update the keywords later.

(As an aside, be very careful of the default option 'instant pay'.  Once I realised what it meant, I removed it in the settings).

Trouble with wirestock, and reason why I left is that if you´re not careful they sell your content as an Instant Pay option that gives your work away to public domain agencies they own where people can then download them for nothing while they get paid a fee. Same reason I quit dreamstime, they slowly move your content, content that hasn't sold in a while to free stock sites and pray you don't read an email they sent or notice your work floating around for free.

On 5/29/2021 at 5:10 PM, Milleflore Images said:

A dozen unique shots from that photoshoot. And they still sell.  And it was just a cheap cake from the supermarket and party props from the $2 shop.

Looks like you got to shoot your cake and eat it too!  A win win.

Yeah, too much complaining by babies who expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter.  I barely come around the forum anymore because it is  mostly people crying or asking how other people's sales are going this month.  What difference does it make for you to know how someone else's sales are going in the short run?  Long run, maybe, but not on a daily or weekly basis.  Stop feeling sorry for yourself, turn off your TV, get off the couch, put your phone down, and start using your time more wisely.  Or just be quiet, that is fine too.

3 hours ago, Ackab Photography said:

@Wilm Ihlenfeld @Monika Boncuk Thanks! Actually the same buyer (same location) had bought the same image for 12.50$ a few hours before, guess they realized they needed a different license. So it a 49 + 12.5 = 61.5$ sale in one day. Pretty amazing :)

Congrats Ackab, I just had a video sale for $55.85 which was the second good video sale Like this I've had this month.

23 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Looks like you got to shoot your cake and eat it too!  A win win.

Yeah, too much complaining by babies who expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter.  I barely come around the forum anymore because it is  mostly people crying or asking how other people's sales are going this month.  What difference does it make for you to know how someone else's sales are going in the short run?  Long run, maybe, but not on a daily or weekly basis.  Stop feeling sorry for yourself, turn off your TV, get off the couch, put your phone down, and start using your time more wisely.  Or just be quiet, that is fine too.

You're exaggerating a little, Doug. Looking at this topic there aren't that many people complaining about Shutter. The complaint is there, but it is meaningless and has already been expressed in many ways. (The one who started this topic is new here, he should have read through several topics first. He must be sorry 🙂 ).
I can also turn it around and say that I get sick of all those people who say that it used to be better on the forum. 😁 Though I fear it may have been. Although I think, as I wrote, there are still plenty of interesting topics. I even mentioned your interview!!
It's always fun to talk about your hobby with people all over the world. Although for some people it is more of a profession. There is a difference, but that is what I find interesting.

9 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

You're exaggerating a little, Doug. Looking at this topic there aren't that many people complaining about Shutter.

Maybe a little, but not by very much. 🙂

BTW, today is my best day in more than two weeks, which is really odd considering it is a national holiday in America and most businesses are closed.

8 minutes ago, Doug Jensen said:

Maybe a little, but not by very much. 🙂

BTW, today is my best day in more than two weeks, which is really odd considering it is a national holiday in America and most businesses are closed.

Nice Doug! Congratulations!! 👍
It's been a crappy day for me so far. But I'm not complaining! Tomorrow we will get solar panels on the roof. Then we will really earn. It had been canceled twice due to illness. We have had the two coldest spring months in forty years in the Netherlands. Those guys sit on the roof all day and then of course you also have Corona.
But now the weather is beautiful. Maybe I can take a picture. Unfortunately I can't make videos.

Welcome to the party, @Doug Jensen! Yes, great interview.

@Thijs de Graaf - when we say that the forums were better, maybe that could be a hint? How many people who have started in the last couple of years can say now, "I've learnt a lot from the forums'?  That's what we are talking about. The 'hint' is of course that maybe more people should be asking more questions about how to improve. Because everyone does need improvement - even those who have been here five to ten years. Its such a great industry to work in, because there are so many growth opportunities. 

@PlopandShootGood answer above re all the complaints threads. Completely inundated.

And Thijs, I used to teach - a lot. Not photography. But at university degree level, adult education, corporate training, accelerated learning workshops, etc. In my other profession. So, I studied up on training. Did a lot of train the trainer courses, etc. And one thing I know is that one will never grow, learn or improve in a negative environment where there's too many people complaining, because its like a disease that feeds itself - misery loves company. And its the easy way out. And who doesn't want the easy way out, if given a chance? I understand that. So that is my big thing here and even though I was grumpy the morning I wrote my first post above, I am glad I did. Perhaps I could have said it better - or more politely. But polite is not the answer. Polite does not solve problems, or necessarily get people to change. Some of my best teachers in the past were those who slapped me over the head and said, Snap out of it. Sometimes, we get so stuck, that's what we need.

2 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Welcome to the party, @Doug Jensen! Yes, great interview.

@Thijs de Graaf - when we say that the forums were better, maybe that could be a hint? How many people who have started in the last couple of years can say now, "I've learnt a lot from the forums'?  That's what we are talking about. The 'hint' is of course that maybe more people should be asking more questions about how to improve. Because everyone does need improvement - even those who have been here five to ten years. Its such a great industry to work in, because there are so many growth opportunities. 

@PlopandShootGood answer above re all the complaints threads. Completely inundated.

And Thijs, I used to teach - a lot. Not photography. But at university degree level, adult education, corporate training, accelerated learning workshops, etc. In my other profession. So, I studied up on training. Did a lot of train the trainer courses, etc. And one thing I know is that one will never grow, learn or improve in a negative environment where there's too many people complaining, because its like a disease that feeds itself - misery loves company. And its the easy way out. And who doesn't want the easy way out, if given a chance? I understand that. So that is my big thing here and even though I was grumpy the morning I wrote my first post above, I am glad I did. Perhaps I could have said it better - or more politely. But polite is not the answer. Polite does not solve problems, or necessarily get people to change. Some of my best teachers in the past were those who slapped me over the head and said, Snap out of it. Sometimes, we get so stuck, that's what we need.

Was a teacher and now retired for many years Annie. After my retirement I specialized in identifying insects and wrote information about it. And I always enjoy helping people. You will never lose that again. I know less about photography, although I have learned enough in my old age thanks to Shutterstock
By the way... Many insects are incorrectly indicated on the Stocksites.
I teased Doug about that comment about the forum, of course. What he did understand.
Photography for Stocksites remains a fun new hobby for me. Or I take the bike and photograph in the area or photograph insects, of which I often give away pictures for free. 🙂

I no longer have the drive to become a top earner, but I do like being honest with people. I sometimes miss that. Hence, for example, my attempt to get Geogif back on the forum.

1 hour ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Was a teacher and now retired for many years Annie. After my retirement I specialized in identifying insects and wrote information about it. And I always enjoy helping people. You will never lose that again. I know less about photography, although I have learned enough in my old age thanks to Shutterstock
By the way... Many insects are incorrectly indicated on the Stocksites.
I teased Doug about that comment about the forum, of course. What he did understand.
Photography for Stocksites remains a fun new hobby for me. Or I take the bike and photograph in the area or photograph insects, of which I often give away pictures for free. 🙂

I no longer have the drive to become a top earner, but I do like being honest with people. I sometimes miss that. Hence, for example, my attempt to get Geogif back on the forum.

That's great!

I was the first person to bring it up (ie. I miss the old forum) so its best that I leave it stand to explain to other readers the reasons why. But I understand your position now, Thijs. Thanks 🙂

7 hours ago, Banana Productions said:

Trouble with wirestock, and reason why I left is that if you´re not careful they sell your content as an Instant Pay option that gives your work away to public domain agencies they own where people can then download them for nothing while they get paid a fee. Same reason I quit dreamstime, they slowly move your content, content that hasn't sold in a while to free stock sites and pray you don't read an email they sent or notice your work floating around for free.

Interestingly, in Alexandre Rotenberg's interview with Doug Jensen he said that one of his worst decisions ever was to let someone else (external agency subcontracted by Adobe) do the keywording on thousands of his videos. Those videos rarely sell on Adobe whilst they do well on SS (keyworded by Doug himself). Others are crap at keywording and it's very important to get it right.

4 hours ago, Doug Jensen said:

My husband says he always gets his best work done on holidays because nobody else is in the office to bug him. Maybe people are trying to get ahead and getting the content they need today (plus using up the last of their subscription pkgs before they expire end of the month?) Just a thought :) 

20 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

My husband says he always gets his best work done on holidays because nobody else is in the office to bug him. Maybe people are trying to get ahead and getting the content they need today (plus using up the last of their subscription pkgs before they expire end of the month?) Just a thought :) 

I think both of those theories are good ones.   Says, the man sitting in office getting stuff done on a holdiay. 🙂

I joined Shutterstock back in 2015,  after reading an article "How to make $200 in microstock".   Back then, you had to apply to become a contributor, which required submitting 10 images and having at least 7 of them deemed technically acceptable.   So there was a big incentive to hone your skills in order to make the cut,  before you could start submitting.  Even back then,  there were  many old timers who lamented the days of old at the beginning of microstock,  2006 I believe, when "everything" sold immediately, repeatedly and for big bucks, oh my.  But by 2015, things had already slowed down considerably.  Yep, there was a lot of complaining even back then.  Which can be discouraging to read for a newbie.  I think it's important to manage your expectations.  Not every image will sell.  When you first start out, you can go for days without a single sale.  Over time, if you keep at it, you develop a better sense of what will sell and what won't, which editing techniques yield the best results, etc.  There's no get rich quick way to do it.   Everyone needs to do their own soul-searching.  What are you getting out of it?  If it's only about the money, it can be hard to justify the time invested - let alone the cost of equipment, and travel expenses and what not.  For me, even a $0.1 sale brings me a smile.  It's gratifying for me to find my image being used in a medical journal, for example.  Recently I came across a huge LCD screen at the airport that was featuring one of my shots.  How cool is that? If you're patient and persistent, the rewards will come - this month was my best ever in terms of dl's, with 585.  Maybe I'll hit 600 next month!

12 hours ago, PlopandShoot said:

I think a lot of us are burned out about an event that has already happened quite some time ago (including the reset). Its unfortunate and hard I agree, but there is a 250-plus page thread in announcements where people have been venting for over a year. Do we need more? A short search would have revealed that there have been petitions, walk-outs, the "Stock Coalition", articles, Tweet Events, and on and on... all with no effect.

I understand why seeing post after post cribbing about the same thing might be annoying. But many of these posts/topics are initiated by non-regular posters who may not have much of an idea of how prevalent this issue is on the forums. I don't care for the spamming that the poster you refer indulged in the forums either. That person appeared to have an agenda of his own rather than legitimate concerns.

But what I wish we had was a bit more empathy and understanding (I know these are alien words in the internet world). I could draw a direct parallel to what's happening in microstock with the industry I work in, which is film and television. Now, I'm one of the lucky few who still has a couple of gigs going which is bringing steady money in (although nowhere near as much as I did pre-pandemic). But about 70 percent of my industry is without work and there is a similar kind of anguish and desperation in the people who find themselves with very little work. Most people who're out of work started in the industry long after I did. And I get calls every single day from people wanting to vent. I could, of course, take the route of some of the contributors here and tell them to "buckle up", "stay positive", "stop whining", "learn something useful" etc. But that would be telling a lie. Things are going to be bad for a long time before they get better and many of the people who've lost work aren't going to improve their chances dramatically by learning something new. And people have varying degrees of skill sets and abilities to learn. So all I do is hear them out because what else can you do?

The microstock photographic universe isn't going to get better. In fact, every sign points to it crashing into the abyss sooner or later.  It'll be a lie to tell newer contributors that they still have a chance to make steady income out of this. At best, this is a hobby that could pay for a few coffees in a month if you get lucky. To expect people to spend immense time, effort and money to learn with the same vigor and zeal as a few years ago to make a few pennies is unrealistic in my opinion. But what we can do to people who want to have a cry about it is to perhaps be more empathetic (or maybe even just ignore) instead of bashing them for having a negative attitude. My 10 cents.

7 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

That's great!

I was the first person to bring it up (ie. I miss the old forum) so its best that I leave it stand to explain to other readers the reasons why. But I understand your position now, Thijs. Thanks 🙂

I know that feeling Annie. After years I stopped at a Dutch nature forum, because I missed the atmosphere of the beginning.
Then I started shooting for Shutterstock. I chose Shutterstock also because I found the forum helpful 🙂. But that was in 2019.
I admire your work.

1 hour ago, balajisrinivasan said:

I understand why seeing post after post cribbing about the same thing might be annoying. But many of these posts/topics are initiated by non-regular posters who may not have much of an idea of how prevalent this issue is on the forums. I don't care for the spamming that the poster you refer indulged in the forums either. That person appeared to have an agenda of his own rather than legitimate concerns.

But what I wish we had was a bit more empathy and understanding (I know these are alien words in the internet world). I could draw a direct parallel to what's happening in microstock with the industry I work in, which is film and television. Now, I'm one of the lucky few who still has a couple of gigs going which is bringing steady money in (although nowhere near as much as I did pre-pandemic). But about 70 percent of my industry is without work and there is a similar kind of anguish and desperation in the people who find themselves with very little work. Most people who're out of work started in the industry long after I did. And I get calls every single day from people wanting to vent. I could, of course, take the route of some of the contributors here and tell them to "buckle up", "stay positive", "stop whining", "learn something useful" etc. But that would be telling a lie. Things are going to be bad for a long time before they get better and many of the people who've lost work aren't going to improve their chances dramatically by learning something new. And people have varying degrees of skill sets and abilities to learn. So all I do is hear them out because what else can you do?

The microstock photographic universe isn't going to get better. In fact, every sign points to it crashing into the abyss sooner or later.  It'll be a lie to tell newer contributors that they still have a chance to make steady income out of this. At best, this is a hobby that could pay for a few coffees in a month if you get lucky. To expect people to spend immense time, effort and money to learn with the same vigor and zeal as a few years ago to make a few pennies is unrealistic in my opinion. But what we can do to people who want to have a cry about it is to perhaps be more empathetic (or maybe even just ignore) instead of bashing them for having a negative attitude. My 10 cents.

Ok, @balajisrinivasan.

Get it all out. All the pain and the frustration, and the lost opportunities, and how the rug has been pulled out from under your/their feet, and how helpless it feels.

And once you've processed it all, maybe you and the others can then look around for ways to make things better. Feeling helpless is a horrible thing, and people need to get it off their chests.

But you're right. Its Shutterstock that is not listening. They've tuned out completely. But a year has passed now and our only hope is to look for more proactive ways to help ourselves. 

I wish you the best of luck!

But I am now going to tell you what real helplessness is and I hope he doesn't mind but he's always been very honest and open about it. Ask Terry (plop and shoot) what he's been going through. For a few years now, I have had the opportunity of being a good friend of his and privy to all his extreme health problems. Just ask him what real helplessness really is. 

But has he let it stop him? No. He's written books, changed a whole lot of things, and found ways that he can increase his revenue - ie wirestock (why do you think he's been writing about it so much? He's really excited about it). He has a form of leukemia. He's bed bound. He cant shoot anymore. He cant do a whole lot of things. But he's still being proactive. Do you hear him complaining? No.

Want to feel inspired? Get to know his story.

38 minutes ago, PlopandShoot said:

And yes, cancer plus myalgic encephalomyelitis/cfs. Out of the two, cancer is the easy one. The other has robbed me of virtually everything. It has similarities to "long tail covid" that some may have heard of and it is terribly debilitating. Unfortunately, there's no cure and treatments are few and inconsistent. I can still swallow food and speak (and surf thankfully), but I can no longer write, stand, walk, or even sit up for long. 

I do feel lucky though, I've seen the world a few times through stock photography, and I discovered writing long enough to get published, a long, long standing dream of mine. 

Having to read these lines makes me very sad! And I would wish you from my heart that there would be some perspective of healing for you!

And I admire your positive attitude to life. You are certainly an absolute exception!

At the same time it makes me think. When you read something like this, you are reminded - once again - that health is the highest good. Everything else pales into insignificance.

I wish you all the best!

4 hours ago, PlopandShoot said:

And yes, cancer plus myalgic encephalomyelitis/cfs. Out of the two, cancer is the easy one. The other has robbed me of virtually everything. It has similarities to "long tail covid" that some may have heard of and it is terribly debilitating. Unfortunately, there's no cure and treatments are few and inconsistent. I can still swallow food and speak (and surf thankfully), but I can no longer write, stand, walk, or even sit up for long. 

I do feel lucky though, I've seen the world a few times through stock photography, and I discovered writing long enough to get published, a long, long standing dream of mine. 

I didn't know that Terry. 
There is a Dutch expression: Elk huisje heeft zijn kruisje (each house has its cross). Means In every house are problems, don't think you are the only one. I have experienced that that is true. But yours are very big. Respect how you deal with it.