Probably bug in a system. I'm a professional photographer uploaded over 50 photos last week and NOT EVEN ONE of them was approved

next to each of my photo was written "rejection reason - focus". all my 50 photos were taken in different time around the world during the past 3 years and NON OF THEM is in focus ?  But it's not true! it totally looks like a bug in a system (if photos are getting approved automatically by computer) or someone's bad Monday morning mood  (in case photos are approved manually by human)

I am extremely disappointed cause i spent 7 hours of my life uploading these pictures, searching for right key words etc. It's my work and my invested time that was simply thrown in the trash within 1 second. i am on Shutterstock already for 3 years and situations like this never happened before. I sincerely hope its some issue in the system or a mistake and it will be fixed as soon as possible 

Mia,

Regrettably, this is not a bug.  The acceptance process is done by artificial intelligence and it is totally inconsistent and undoubtedly the worst in the industries.  The forum is full of complaints but it appears that Shutterstock's administration has no intent to improve it.  I would suggest you resubmit these images and check "Previously Submitted"  under "More options" ,  "Notes for Reviewers".  Some contributors feel this helps to get them accepted.  I would also suggest you submit a smaller number of images at a time so when this happens it won't be quite so annoying.  Best of luck with your future submissions. 

9 minutes ago, Steve Bower said:

Mia,

Regrettably, this is not a bug.  The acceptance process is done by artificial intelligence and it is totally inconsistent and undoubtedly the worst in the industries.  The forum is full of complaints but it appears that Shutterstock's administration has no intent to improve it.  I would suggest you resubmit these images and check "Previously Submitted"  under "More options" ,  "Notes for Reviewers".  Some contributors feel this helps to get them accepted.  I would also suggest you submit a smaller number of images at a time so when this happens it would be quite so annoying.  Best of luck with your future submissions. 

Yeah smaller numbers is the way. The Ai just drops everything for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Steve Bower said:

Mia,

Regrettably, this is not a bug.  The acceptance process is done by artificial intelligence and it is totally inconsistent and undoubtedly the worst in the industries.  The forum is full of complaints but it appears that Shutterstock's administration has no intent to improve it.  I would suggest you resubmit these images and check "Previously Submitted"  under "More options" ,  "Notes for Reviewers".  Some contributors feel this helps to get them accepted.  I would also suggest you submit a smaller number of images at a time so when this happens it would be quite so annoying.  Best of luck with your future submissions. 

Actually, when you just submit your refused pictures again, without changing anything to them and without checking "Previously Submitted"  , there is quite a good chance that they get accepted the next time. or rejected for a totally different reason then the previous time.

Big batches of pictures tend to get rejected all for the same reason. before the AI came, that was supposed to be the fault of lazy reviewers. not sure what is causing it now.

I have the suspicion the AI is programmed to be as lazy and unreliable as the real reviewers used to be. Maybe trained with their approvals and refusals?

It seems to be increasingly the case. I submitted a batch of 6 shots recently. All taken at the same time, same lighting, similar settings. two accepted and four rejected. First rejection was for noise, second rejection was for focus. Now I'm pretty anal about focus and I check my shots carefully before submitting them so I disagreed with the verdict. 

It's a lot of work to go through for an average download payment (in my case and for 2021) of $0.24. Needless to say, all the shots were accepted first time by AS who are also paying just over $1.00 for each download.

So no prizes for guessing which stock company I am focusing my efforts on.

23 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

It's a lot of work to go through for an average download payment (in my case and for 2021) of $0.24. Needless to say, all the shots were accepted first time by AS who are also paying just over $1.00 for each download.

Do you get as much sales there? i'm on several agencies.. ss has lowest prices, but a couple of sales a day. adobe for me only a download per week in average (i started later there, and only have 1/8th of my portfolio uplpaded already, but still..) Alamy: 1 sale per month, but at least a couple of dollars per sale, sometimes over 100, so by the end of the year i have about equal revenue from ss and alamy.

There are serious issues with the AI image review.  One thing I've found is that not a single one of my night sky images has been accepted because of 'Noise'.  When I checked the files they were really clean, so I think the AI is reading the stars in the sky as noise, same as with shots with a lot foliage or secretive focus.  When you think about the tens or hundreds of thousands of images coming through on a daily basis, it's hard to imagine that they could physically check all those images without at least some AI filtering.  

I wouldn't take take the reasons for the rejects that literally.  I think that there are four or five pre-programmed reasons for rejecting images, but the actual reasons are probably endless.

There are all kinds of other stock agencies out there to submit photos to, so if something gets kicked from SS, send it somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 11:32 PM, Steve Bower said:

Mia,

Regrettably, this is not a bug.  The acceptance process is done by artificial intelligence and it is totally inconsistent and undoubtedly the worst in the industries.  The forum is full of complaints but it appears that Shutterstock's administration has no intent to improve it.  I would suggest you resubmit these images and check "Previously Submitted"  under "More options" ,  "Notes for Reviewers".  Some contributors feel this helps to get them accepted.  I would also suggest you submit a smaller number of images at a time so when this happens it won't be quite so annoying.  Best of luck with your future submissions. 

exactly, I am surely agreed with steve bower.

MyGiftCardSite

I'm really tired of reviewers rejecting perfect photos, accepted by all other competing sites, for absurd reasons. If Shutterstock is a serious site it should only hire people who understand photography and not people without specific skills who judge the work of professionals by penalizing them heavily. This is lost money for both us contributors and Shutterstock! Don't you realize it ???