Ah, I remember this one. There was a thread about it in the MG forum once where it was discussed.
https://www.[do_not_advertise_other_microstock_groups]/new-sites-general/stockphoto-com-36170/

It's a site by a guy who used up $250,000 of his family's savings to purchase the domain Stockphoto.com, because he thought with just this name alone he would rank No.1 on search platforms and it would be an guaranteed success without having to do any promotion work. Looks like that did not work out if he is approaching contributors directly and making such desperate offers.

How you decide is up to you - I would refrain from such offers, simply for the fact that it's not like they will give you just $400 - they will only give them to you if you earn $100. With an unsuccessful site that may possibly take years and if 0.33$ is all they pay for every license type with no chance for higher earnings, that isn't all that great.

They seem to be affiliated with depositphotos, because my photos there have both the stockphoto and the depositphotos watermark on them, even though there is absolutely no official information about that to be found anywhere.

Jon Yau, the owner of StockPhoto.com, is a really terrific guy. Terry and I were contributors there when he first started and up until he formed an 'alliance' with DepositPhotos. I am still not sure exactly what it was, but Terry @PlopandShootmight remember. Anyway, when that happened my portfolio was duplicated - from DepositPhotos as well as what I had already uploaded to StockPhoto.com. So we had to take it down.

I have screen-grabbed some emails below to show that he is trustworthy and reliable. 

I never got the impression that he thought he would be number 1 with JUST a good domain name, but it would help. Buying good domain names is not uncommon in the tech industry. He worked very hard at running the agency, and its great to see that he is still there and doing well. Here is his side of the story about the domain name purchase:

How to ask your wife for permission to spend $250,000 on a domain name | by Jon Yau | blog.Stockphoto.com

It’s not terribly innovative, I must admit. But I was adamant we would have one thing in our favour — a great, converting domain name with natural type-in, as well as search engine traffic.

When someone types “stock photo” into Google and they see my domain name in the top few search listings, my bet is that they would trust my domain name enough to click on it. And when they come to my website and see a relevant, high-quality stock photo at a comparable price then my guess is that THEY WILL BUY.

So instead of hand registering some other domain name and then spending money on building links and SEO for the website, I’m going to spend that money upfront. Get all the marketing wrapped-up and front-end loaded into the business before I launch by getting a generic, exact-match domain name.

The idea is then that, for a given level of quality, I can market stock photos more efficiently than some of my competitors (especially those that have to invest continuously on marketing and SEO to draw visitors).

Its not unusual for agencies to approach contributors directly if they like your port. One of my close friends, who has an amazing video portfolio, got approached by different agencies all the time.

One agency recently emailed me and said that I didn't have as many files as another agency - and could they have the remainder of my portfolio. I thought, how do they know?? LOL

But agencies do know, and they know what contributors are out there, and they know what type of files they need to fill their buyers needs. 

You have a wonderful portfolio, Gunter, so I am not surprised that you were approached. 

Cheers,

Annie 

stockphoto2014.jpg

stockphoto2016.jpg

@Milleflore Images
I kind of feel like your e-mails aren't really helping the case. 😅
I understand you want to speak up for the guy, but at least for me, this makes it look like his whole stock business was rather a mess? And from what I understand you had your port up there, but twice since it was already up there through Depositphotos, so Jon removed your port from there again (After you had gone through the work of submitting your images) -  And now he is asking Gunter to submit his photos there, but his port is also already up there through Depositphotos? It sounds a bit confusing and messy?

This is an Aussie outfit based in Perth. The stock site has been going since 2013.

Saw this discussion on Facebook where a few contributors mentioned they were approached to sell on the site. You'd hope to think after dropping $250k on a domain name and how much more $$$ on getting the site up and running and so on, it is actually making some decent returns. Quite a loss otherwise that someone with more investing knowledge could of made a much more rewarding and profitable investment decision with that money. But hey, each to their own. He might have plenty of money to throw around and prefers to just do something he clearly loves to be in. 

On 5/11/2021 at 3:18 PM, Firn said:

@Milleflore Images
I kind of feel like your e-mails aren't really helping the case. 😅

I'm sorry, Firn, I dont fully understand you. What case would that be?

All I was doing was giving a first-hand  historical view of Stockphoto, which not many people seem to have. lol

I got the same message on Insta from them too Gunter. I've been undecided. More to do with the work involved in uploading than anything else. But now it's been pointed out that they have my images up there from Depositphotos anyway, it seems pretty pointless? I don't earn much from DP so likely it would take ages to earn the $100 needed to reach payout on SP. The $400 sound nice but I'm not sure it's worth the effort?
Still undecided, but I probably wont bother...

18 hours ago, Firn said:

It's a site by a guy who used up $250,000 of his family's savings to purchase the domain Stockphoto.com

18 hours ago, Firn said:

if he is approaching contributors directly and making such desperate offers.

9 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Jon Yau, the owner of StockPhoto.com, is a really terrific guy.

As a newly started entrepreneur, you have to start somewhere to get sales and income. Fortunately some people still are willing to risk everything to get a company up and running.  But what a market to go into ...! Btw it’s easy to say no if you don’t want to participate.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:38 AM, Milleflore Images said:

Its not unusual for agencies to approach contributors directly if they like your port. One of my close friends, who has an amazing video portfolio, got approached by different agencies all the time.

One agency recently emailed me and said that I didn't have as many files as another agency - and could they have the remainder of my portfolio. I thought, how do they know?? LOL

But agencies do know, and they know what contributors are out there, and they know what type of files they need to fill their buyers needs. 

You have a wonderful portfolio, Gunter, so I am not surprised that you were approached. 

Ch

Thank you for your answer and for liking my portfolio.

On 5/11/2021 at 10:53 AM, Linda Bestwick said:

I got the same message on Insta from them too Gunter. I've been undecided. More to do with the work involved in uploading than anything else. But now it's been pointed out that they have my images up there from Depositphotos anyway, it seems pretty pointless? I don't earn much from DP so likely it would take ages to earn the $100 needed to reach payout on SP. The $400 sound nice but I'm not sure it's worth the effort?
Still undecided, but I probably wont bother...

I have the same thoughts!

5 hours ago, Gunter Nuyts said:

Thank you for your answer and for liking my portfolio.

My pleasure, Gunter.

I just wanted to give you and others here a history of what happened in the beginning with Stockphoto from someone who was there at the time. And to explain - as much as possible - the relationship between StockPhoto and DP. A lot of what has been written about them has been based on rumour and conjecture and I wanted to clear some of that up.

The so-called 'mess' wasn't really a mess and not the owner's fault at the time. I understood completely and wasnt upset by it all.  There was no way Jon could know at the time, that by introducing DP as a 'contributor' as he called them, that there would be the duplication. 

Whether this is still gong on, I don't know. I have no first-hand current knowledge about them. 

However as for the current circumstances , depending on how much of your port is already there via DP, I think Linda has the best answer above.