Portfolio of over 1700 images, but very poor in photos sold...

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I've been a member of Shutterstock for a few years, I'm Italian and for just over a year I constantly upload photos ... of over 1700 photos I can sell very little, last year I just reached 35 dollars , this year it's still $ 13. All this demoralizes me not even finding new photographic inspirations, have any of you had the same problem?

44 minutes ago, Enrico Spetrino said:

Nobody has had the same problem! the "family" of this forum seems to me a closed circle ... anyway thanks to everyone !!!

You better cool down man.

People can't help you if you don't ask for it. Open a new thread with the title "please review my portfolio" and  you will get several help ideas to choose from.

I'd suggest you continue to shoot and upload video where you can as while the downloads are fewer, the earnings are generally much higher per download. Perhaps shoot landmarks from your local area / city / region where these is possibly much less competition. 

Also look at the quality of content you are producing compared to your competition. For example, have a look at the photos  of 'red tomatoes' from the search results on Shutterstock to get an idea of what is ranking high and make sure your descriptions and keywords are on point as you might have the best images but  they're not going to sell if buyers can't find them.   

image.thumb.png.aac58c93ec20b9d9a96265943b1acf18.png

image.png

Your port is quite decent, if not great (this is not a criticism, my port is not great either). But going through some of your images, I noticed that your descriptions are too short and your keywords are too general. You need to describe your subject properly and have very specific keywords that relate to your image. Too often, you have very few keywords and they don't adequately describe your image. You need go beyond words like "architecture" and "travel" and say what monument, place, village, town, district, country, region etc. it is. The more specific information you provide in your keywords, the better your sales would be.

Your port is quite decent, if not great (this is not a criticism, my port is not great either). But going through some of your images, I noticed that your descriptions are too short and your keywords are too general. You need to describe your subject properly and have very specific keywords that relate to your image. Too often, you have very few keywords and they don't adequately describe your image. You need go beyond words like "architecture" and "travel" and say what monument, place, village, town, district, country, region etc. it is. The more specific information you provide in your keywords, the better your sales would be.

27 minutes ago, Enrico Spetrino said:

Thanks so much for the tip, often the keywords are provided by Shutterstock and I just add something to them.

Shutterstock only offers you suggestions and while some of them may be useful, you need to put in a lot of your own keywords from scratch if you want to see more sales.

Sales value are low this year, due the major price cut in this new year. 1st of January till today I earned only 24,51 euro with only photo sales.

I shoot also a Pentax K-5 😉

Some tips I can give you:

• As said by others, the description and keywords are too general. If it is a landscape, always note the location, time of day and be specific. Try to think it this way. If there is a beautiful location, then I want to know where that is so that I can actually go visit that location. If there is a bug, flower or tree, add the Latin name. 
  • Put the photos in collections with the Catalog manager, so people can browse more easily thru your portfolios.
  • Travel photos did have a hit due the pandemic, you have to be patient for them to sell, I think.
  • Try to shoot more transportation photos (electrification of cars, energy, waste management)
  • Try to get at locations where not everyone has access to (with permission of course, i.e. a hobby farmer with some beautiful animals which are not much available on stock websites. As an example search for 'Ouessant sheep' on Shutterstock, there only 361 hits.)
  • Get photos of typical Italian products, foods, buildings, people, cars (!), shoes, scooters, etc.  What is normal for you is special for somebody else.
  • Shoot action or funny photos of the jack Russell terrier in nature. They can jump quite high and have strong teeth!
  • Visit a bigger city and take editorial photos of large commercial buildings/logos which could be used on a news site. 
  • This is a beautiful photo (https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/tree-trunks-snowy-forest-1829019338), but where is it, what kind of trees are this?
  • Be patient.

Hope it helps with your journey!

7 hours ago, Robin Bouwmeester said:

Il valore delle vendite è basso quest'anno, a causa dell'importante riduzione dei prezzi in questo nuovo anno. Dal 1 gennaio ad oggi ho guadagnato solo 24,51 euro con le sole vendite di foto.

Scatto anche con una Pentax K-5 😉

Alcuni suggerimenti che posso darti:

• Come detto da altri, la descrizione e le parole chiave sono troppo generiche. Se si tratta di un paesaggio, annota sempre la posizione, l'ora del giorno e sii specifico. Prova a pensarla in questo modo. Se c'è un luogo bellissimo, voglio sapere dove si trova in modo da poter effettivamente visitare quel luogo. Se c'è un insetto, un fiore o un albero, aggiungi il nome latino. 
  • Metti le foto nelle raccolte con il gestore del catalogo, così le persone possono navigare più facilmente attraverso i tuoi portafogli.
  • Le foto di viaggio hanno avuto un successo a causa della pandemia, devi essere paziente perché le vendano, credo.
  • Prova a scattare più foto di trasporto (elettrificazione di automobili, energia, gestione dei rifiuti)
  • Cerca di raggiungere luoghi a cui non tutti hanno accesso (con il permesso ovviamente, ad esempio un allevatore per hobby con alcuni bellissimi animali che non sono molto disponibili sui siti web di stock. Ad esempio, cerca "Pecora Ouessant" su Shutterstock, ci sono solo 361 risultati .)
  • Scatta foto di prodotti tipici italiani, cibi, edifici, persone, automobili (!), Scarpe, scooter, ecc. Ciò che è normale per te è speciale per qualcun altro.
  • Scatta foto d'azione o divertenti del jack Russell terrier in natura. Possono saltare abbastanza in alto e avere denti forti!
  • Visita una città più grande e scatta foto editoriali di grandi edifici / loghi commerciali che potrebbero essere utilizzati su un sito di notizie. 
  • Questa è una bella foto ( https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/tree-trunks-snowy-forest-1829019338 ), ma dov'è, che tipo di alberi sono?
  • Essere pazientare.

Spero che ti aiuti con il tuo viaggio!

Thank you for the suggestions Robin, I will try to be more specific in the words and descriptions ...

On 5/9/2021 at 3:04 AM, Enrico Spetrino said:

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I've been a member of Shutterstock for a few years, I'm Italian and for just over a year I constantly upload photos ... of over 1700 photos I can sell very little, last year I just reached 35 dollars , this year it's still $ 13. All this demoralizes me not even finding new photographic inspirations, have any of you had the same problem?

Checked out your port! I am Italian myself, My dad was from Abruzzo, I was born in Turin so I´m like from all over the place! haha if you want I can switch to Italian. I currently don´t live in Italy because I found to find work so had to go to centralamerica which is where my from is from. 

I looked at your port, you have a good eye, I would shoot more typical foods and stuff from Abruzzo, like Timballo etc. Those do sell from time to time Try to think more in a commercial sense its hard but pays off over time. I sell mostly pictures and my portfolio is small but am trying to be specific to marketing needs and am learning in the process. I have uploaded mostly to adobe stock and pond5 due to the payment structure here. You can try keywording with http://www.mykeyworder.com Thats how I am rolling now and its working pretty good.

Hope that helps! Lovely ladies from Abruzzo!

Regards,

Camillo

I have similar problems with SS. For most of the people SS is 1st or 2nd highest earning agency. For me, it's tottally different story. I've come to conclusion that my port and/or my style is much better suited for other agencies.
How is your sales on other sites?

18 hours ago, Banana Productions said:

Controlla il tuo porto! Anch'io sono italiano, mio padre era abruzzese, sono nato a Torino quindi vengo da tutte le parti! ahah se vuoi posso passare all'italiano. Al momento non vivo in Italia perché ho trovato lavoro, quindi sono dovuto andare in Centroamerica, da dove viene il mio. 

Ho guardato il tuo porto, hai un buon occhio, vorrei riprendere cibi e cose più tipiche abruzzesi, come il timballo ecc. Quelle vendono di tanto in tanto Provare a pensare di più in senso commerciale è difficile ma ripaga nel tempo. Vendo principalmente immagini e il mio portfolio è piccolo, ma sto cercando di essere specifico per le esigenze di marketing e sto imparando nel processo. Ho caricato principalmente su Adobe Stock e Pond5 a causa della struttura dei pagamenti qui. Puoi provare a inserire parole chiave con  http://www.mykeyworder.com  È così che sto rotolando ora e funziona abbastanza bene.

Spero che aiuti! Adorabili signore abruzzesi!

Saluti,

Camillo

Hello! I noticed that in your port there are images made in the studio or with artificial lights ... for me it is very demanding, I like to be free! Aren't you going back to Abruzzo? you know that I know Abruzzo more than my region ... we are close, I live in Molise, once we were a single region ... Abruzzo is a very complete region, it has art, nature, good food, yes approach microstock by chance I have a very large photographic archive, I like to photograph everything, but if I have to be tied up in a studio I lose my freedom ... As you have seen, my port is quite varied, it only sells very little. I also rely on other agencies including AS where I have not yet reached the minimum payment and Pond5, where I exclusively upload clips, I signed up in August, but I still don't sell anything ...

12 hours ago, Svarun said:

Ho problemi simili con SS. Per la maggior parte delle persone SS è la prima o la seconda agenzia di guadagno più alta. Per me è una storia totalmente diversa. Sono giunto alla conclusione che il mio porto e / o il mio stile è molto più adatto per altre agenzie.
Come sono le tue vendite su altri siti?

Hello!

I also rely on other agencies including AS where I have not yet reached the minimum payment and Pond5, where I exclusively upload clips, I signed up in August, but I still don't sell anything ...

2 minutes ago, Enrico Spetrino said:

Ciao! Ho notato che nel tuo porto ci sono immagini fatte in studio o con luci artificiali ... per me è molto impegnativo, mi piace essere libero! Non torni in Abruzzo? sai che io conosco l'Abruzzo più della mia regione ... siamo vicini, vivo in Molise, un tempo eravamo un'unica regione ... l'Abruzzo è una regione molto completa, ha arte, natura, buon cibo, sì approccio microstock per caso ho un archivio fotografico molto grande, mi piace fotografare di tutto, ma se devo essere legato in uno studio perdo la mia libertà ... Come avete visto il mio porto è abbastanza vario, si vende solo pochissimo . Mi affido anche ad altre agenzie tra cui AS dove non ho ancora raggiunto il pagamento minimo e Pond5, dove carico esclusivamente clip, mi sono iscritto ad agosto, ma ancora non vendo nulla ...

Scusa, ma mi sono affidato al traduttore di Google...ciao Enrico

17 hours ago, Svarun said:

I have similar problems with SS. For most of the people SS is 1st or 2nd highest earning agency. For me, it's tottally different story. I've come to conclusion that my port and/or my style is much better suited for other agencies.
How is your sales on other sites?

Not any more. A year ago, without a doubt. Now it's down in fifth place for me, out of the five agencies I use in terms of revenue.

First and foremost, shoot what is in short supply. 

Go to the Shutterstock site, search for something nearby. Like some specific festival, event or location and see how many pics are available. If the availability is high, forget it. If low, go for it.

As an example you can view my portfolio for lockdown images of my city. A unique topic with no images to begin with and now has around 300 images, and has sold around 325 images.

Any other current topic images will do. Like Post Lockdown images for Italy, whereas lockdown images are still relevant for India.

And videos sell for more, so mix your photos with video clips in each of your shoots.

Keywords are very important too. If they allow 50, put 50. Insert keywords based on what the buyer of an image would search for. The Shutterstock keyword search tool is excellent.

I'm sure once you follow these basic guidelines, your sales will go up.

All the best..!!

11 hours ago, Dinesh Hukmani said:

Innanzitutto, spara a ciò che scarseggia. 

Vai al sito di Shutterstock, cerca qualcosa nelle vicinanze. Come qualche festival, evento o luogo specifico e guarda quante foto sono disponibili. Se la disponibilità è alta, lascia perdere. Se basso, fallo.

Ad esempio puoi visualizzare il mio portfolio per immagini di lockdown della mia città. Un argomento unico senza immagini per cominciare e ora ha circa 300 immagini e ha venduto circa 325 immagini.

Qualsiasi altra immagine dell'argomento corrente andrà bene. Come le immagini di Post Lockdown per l'Italia, mentre le immagini di lockdown sono ancora rilevanti per l'India.

E i video vendono di più, quindi mescola le tue foto con i video clip in ciascuno dei tuoi scatti.

Anche le parole chiave sono molto importanti. Se ne consentono 50, inserisci 50. Inserisci le parole chiave in base a ciò che l'acquirente di un'immagine cercherà. Lo strumento di ricerca per parole chiave di Shutterstock è eccellente.

Sono sicuro che una volta che segui queste linee guida di base, le tue vendite aumenteranno.

Ti auguro il meglio..!!

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to listen to your suggestions ...

On 5/14/2021 at 4:46 AM, Enrico Spetrino said:

Isn't your father from Bucchianico? your name makes me think of this

Ciao no, mio padre e di Abruzzo. Si il mio lavoro e più commerciale, lavoro in agencie pubblicitarie. Ci vuole tempe per stabilire le immagini dentro del mercato qui, quindi e dopo alcuni mesi che riesci a vedere cosa funziona e cosa non va bene. Ogni sito e diverso, cose che vanno bene qui non vanno per niente bene in AS per esempio!

5 hours ago, Banana Productions said:

Ciao no, mio padre e di Abruzzo. Si il mio lavoro e più commerciale, lavoro in agencie pubblicitarie. Ci vuole tempe per stabilire le immagini nel mercato qui, quindi e dopo alcuni mesi che riesci a vedere cosa funziona e cosa non va bene. Ogni sito e diverso, cose che vanno bene qui non vanno per niente bene in AS per esempio!

Qui è passato il giro d'Italia (ciclismo), ho ripreso tutto il passaggio e ho iniziato a caricare le foto su SS, in primis ho caricato 80 foto delle varie auto che seguivano la gara, le hanno tutte respinte , mi chiedono le credenziali di addetto stampa....ma è una manifestazione pubblica, per cui non caricherò altre foto della manifestazione! solo tempo sprecato...ciao!

11 hours ago, Enrico Spetrino said:

Qui è passato il giro d'Italia (ciclismo), ho ripreso tutto il passaggio e ho iniziato a caricare le foto su SS, in primis ho caricato 80 foto delle varie auto che seguivano la gara, le hanno tutte respinte , mi chiedono le credenziali di addetto stampa....ma è una manifestazione pubblica, per cui non caricherò altre foto della manifestazione! solo tempo sprecato...ciao!

mmmm ma le hai caricato come editoriali? a me non mi anno chiesto credenziali. Proba a caricarli di nuovo con Luogo, data, evento sulla descrizione. Ultimamente a me anche adobe stock mi respinge tutto, e peggio che qui!.