Question 1:  Assuming all submission requirements have been met for your vintage (true antique, not 'vintage look') photos, once submitted, how well do they sell?  Has it been worth your effort to provide all the paperwork?  It seems there may not be many truly vintage photos submitted, as the requirements are laborious.  I've got some great antique family photos and would love to see them used by others.  Thoughts?

Question 2: While searching this site for answers to Question 1, I read that Shutterstock Contributors sometimes apply a 'vintage look' to their submissions.  I've understood that it's best to leave special treatments to the layout artists who buy our images, and that applying filters and special treatments to photos can limit the audience.  Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 11:02 AM, Valerie Johnson said:

Question 1:  Assuming all submission requirements have been met for your vintage (true antique, not 'vintage look') photos, once submitted, how well do they sell?  Has it been worth your effort to provide all the paperwork?  It seems there may not be many truly vintage photos submitted, as the requirements are laborious.  I've got some great antique family photos and would love to see them used by others.  Thoughts?

Question 2: While searching this site for answers to Question 1, I read that Shutterstock Contributors sometimes apply a 'vintage look' to their submissions.  I've understood that it's best to leave special treatments to the layout artists who buy our images, and that applying filters and special treatments to photos can limit the audience.  Thoughts?

Post your question in the regular forum, more people will see it. There are some contributors who have vintage material, but I can't remember how well it does for them. We've had some discussions about it in the past.

There's a lot of hoops to jump through for vintage content. They do sell if they have some interest to buyers, something of the time. An old photo of a common flower wont appeal to a buyer, they would likely prefer a much better quality recent image. On the other hand people in the fashion of the time for example would likely be more appealing if genuine. 
In my experience they are not in high demand, so they don't sell frequently at all, but they do sell. It probably isn't worth the time or effort to be honest, but I think if there is some historical interest and you put that above earnings it's a good thing to do. 

Read through all the vintage content info before submitting to avoid unnecessary rejections. The info is all there in the support center, contributor blog and past threads on this forum. I point this out because you mention 'antique' photo's, truly antique photo's ie Victorian era etc wouldn't be acceptable to SS as they will fall into public domain which SS don't accept. I think their acceptable dates for vintage content are between 1930 to 1990, but check I might be out a bit.

As for vintage effects on recent images, use whatever is needed to make the best of an image. If that means using filters use them. There are different buyers out there wanting different things. Some want good looking off the peg images ready to go, others want something they can manipulate to suit their own needs. Always edit to make the best of an image. And if that includes filters use them. Just make sure to add that you've used them to the description.