• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a few surprises after doing my first 4 months analysis and I thought I might share them here. They have given me more hope than I first imagined for this year. I must admit that I was worried th

A video download this morning with an RPD of $67.62 is a good start to the month on an otherwise awful Monday morning I'm having (not stock photography related).

Hi guys, Had no sales for the month so far pretty much and then today 70 bucks from just a normal picture? Didnt even know that this is possible, but I wont complain!! J

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Thats about right, i didnt mention DT which is 4000 and $2.30 so far.

Microstock is a bulk numbers game.  Just submit to the sites that dont require much or more time/effort and the money comes from lots of sites which AS/SS aside supply nothing more than a top up.

Alamy used to provide only 10 or so sales per year *but* each of those sales was for hundreds of dollars.  These days its a few dollars per sale.

Worth noting this month seems particularly poor right across the board, AS is down, 123RF is down by maybe half each for some reason.

Gotcha! Because I made a fortune at DT this month so far. $5.40! Yeah!

50 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:
3 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Gotcha! Because I made a fortune at DT this month so far. $5.40! Yeah!

For a change (and perhaps for the only time ever in history) I did better than you did, Wilm. 5.85 $!

We could maybe split a burger.

DT is a low earner for me too but the last two days were very strange: someone downloaded 32 images one day and another batch of 32 the next day (yesterday). They are all $0.35 editorials but I am really worried about this.
I wonder what is he doing with all those, very different themed images? I just hope he doesn't sell them on SS.

23 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Take some time and consider the best investment opportunities for your riches.

It's quite simple, Former_Poster!

balajisrinivasan and Whiteaster have shown me the taillights and taken even more at DT than I did. So I thought to ask both of them if we don't want to pool our money. With that we will buy up 51% of shutterstock shares. 😎

4 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

It's quite simple, Former_Poster!

balajisrinivasan and Whiteaster have shown me the taillights and taken even more at DT than I did. So I thought to ask both of them if we don't want to pool our money. With that we will buy up 51% of shutterstock shares. 😎

I don't know Wilm, I like balajisrinivasan idea more. Usually I earn the same as you two, $5.47 in April, $6.36 in March.

With the extra money I will get (if), burgers are on me for all three of us but only this month.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:53 PM, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Interesting 3-way close race this month...

As of today (May 14):

1. Adobe Stock is leading with $64

2. Alamy is close behind with $61

3: Following closely by SS with $58

First time ever that SS is in 3rd place. 

iStock to report on April results next week.

It's becoming a game of two halves with:

1. SS taking the lead at $156 (helped by a $66 SOD)

2. Followed by iStock with $119 (April)

3. AS slowed down to $76

4. Alamy stopped producing almost completely and stuck at $66

Same order as it's been for the past 4 years... 😕 

For me is SS hugely behind AS. So far I haven't had a single SOD, ODD or EL this month, it's only in Subs. When I put the two right next to each other, it 's glaring(and I have AS in Euros, so the difference is really huge).

537154419_asvsss.jpg.cff94c5df0ef670d26448aa7d811d70b.jpg

Even in the number of downloads, SS is no longer significantly better than AS.(so far it is only 2 downloads ahead)  

Sometimes it's just luck of the draw which subscription model your customer happened to use.

I just had an extremely nice few sales on SS in a row.

Not to brag, just to show that it is possible...  And it has nothing to do with quality. If anything, I believe that the contributors with the really great photos get screwed the most, because their assets appeal to the big agencies with the largest sub plans.

1826093666_ScreenShot2021-05-18at10_21_26PM.png.62f2d0f00c3e90b549bacc11a154da9f.png

I'm having a really good year on AS compared to previous years. Almost the same number of downloads and more dollars than in the whole of 2020.

On SS, so far this year, I have four times more downloads than AS but slightly less revenue. So the RPD on AS is four times that of SS. 

There was a time that AS was stricter on accepting content than SS. Those days have passed and I am getting rejections from SS where AS is accepting the shot first time. So SS is now demanding more work for diminishing returns.

For what its worth I have done a quick survey of my sales over the past year. On average (give or take) my OD Enhanced  Single and other sales revenue makes up between 40-50 % of my monthly total sales but my sales revenue is down between 40-50% following the rate review.

I am not uploading anything like the amount of stuff that I was so my port is not growing. I am finding photos in review are taking much longer to get through QC. I have 4 images awaiting approval as I write with a number of them at least 36 hours. Before Christmas QC was taking only a few hours max in most cases.

I am also finding QC to be much more pickie with far too many rejections because of so called similar content or occasional technical issues. Quite often when I can be bothered to resubmit the same content it is accepted. By another reviewer presumably. 

The whole Shutterstock experience is not what it used to be but still my biggest earner. I hasten to add "very modest earnings " at that. 

Advice for new contributors.. Unless you have something special-Don't give up your day job