On 5/11/2021 at 4:16 PM, lonndubh said:

A total collapse, I haven't see a photo sale over ten cents in ages. I think the time will soon come to simply delete...

My experience is the same. My download numbers are also so small this month I need a magnifying glass to see them.

Curiously, I noticed in your port that many (if not all) images that could be commercial are editorial..

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a few surprises after doing my first 4 months analysis and I thought I might share them here. They have given me more hope than I first imagined for this year. I must admit that I was worried th

A video download this morning with an RPD of $67.62 is a good start to the month on an otherwise awful Monday morning I'm having (not stock photography related).

Hi guys, Had no sales for the month so far pretty much and then today 70 bucks from just a normal picture? Didnt even know that this is possible, but I wont complain!! J

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Yep. Close to 10K clips not needed by anyone. :( Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Tim photo-video said:

Wow, even I have never had this!
And the photos weren't on sale either?
We spin the wheels to move downhill ...

Yeah I think the industry is sick. Sure it's not dead but it's depressed. I was hoping all the so called stimulus money around the world in its various forms would trickle down to businesses and individuals translating into a boost for microstock sales but that sadly doesn't appear to be the case. 

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

Yeah I think the industry is sick. Sure it's not dead but it's depressed. I was hoping all the so called stimulus money around the world in its various forms would trickle down to businesses and individuals translating into a boost for microstock sales but that sadly doesn't appear to be the case. 

Could not agree more!

I am relatively new to SS, joined in October 2020. I received my first payment last week for four video downloads in the last two months. Just broke the barrier of minimum payment.

I am still learning to film the stuff that has potential for sale. One of the downloads was me turning over the compost in my back garden. Although I had filmed it I didn't think anyone would ever want it! It's very hard to know what has the potential for download.

No video clips downloads this month so far.

39 minutes ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Interesting 3-way close race this month...

As of today (May 14):

1. Adobe Stock is leading with $64

2. Alamy is close behind with $61

3: Following closely by SS with $58

First time ever that SS is in 3rd place. 

iStock to report on April results next week.

For me, Adobe is leading SS with four times fewer downloads. 

I'm getting the sales on SS but the revenue just isn't there due to 10 cent subs. The difference between this year and last year is the lack of SODs and ODDs.

Sales on SS have been steady this month but a majority of them are of the 10-12 cent variety. On the cusp of Level 4 but I don't think that's going to change the $ drastically.

Has been a surprisingly great month at AS, which was terribly disappointing till March this year. So far, with 20 percent of the downloads on SS, I have double the income there. The RPD is more than 10 times higher. How times have changed...

5 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Interesting 3-way close race this month...

As of today (May 14):

1. Adobe Stock is leading with $64

2. Alamy is close behind with $61

3: Following closely by SS with $58

First time ever that SS is in 3rd place. 

iStock to report on April results next week.

Thats crazy low for the amount of stuff you have.

So far this month i have:

1. SS $380

2. AS $210

3. P5 on $160

4. 123RF on $25

5. Alamy on $4

2 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Thats crazy low for the amount of stuff you have.

So far this month i have:

1. SS $380

2. AS $210

3. P5 on $160

4. 123RF on $25

5. Alamy on $4

May I ask how many images and/or videos you offer on Alamy and 123rf?

Alamy doesn't work for me at all. I've had about 200 images online for over a year. And some of them are images that are doing well at other agencies. I've made $50 in a whole year. When I think about how much time it takes there to define the keywords and the super tags, I get an hourly wage of a few cents. I haven't uploaded anything there for a long time. It was an attempt and I failed. It simply doesn't pay off. Even if the RPD there is above average.

Meanwhile, the same applies to 123rf. However, submitting an image there is done in seconds – that is the essential difference to Alamy.
Still, I've made $11 on 123rf so far in May. That's actually every minute I invest there pointless. I could rather sell bratwurst - that brings in more. I still haven't managed to reach five-figure downloads there in about 10 years. And the fact that I'm on the verge of doing so is because it was still debatable years ago – but it hasn't been for at least three years.

And when I look at your figures (or Alexandre's), it reinforces my opinion.

Thats about right, i didnt mention DT which is 4000 and $2.30 so far.

Microstock is a bulk numbers game.  Just submit to the sites that dont require much or more time/effort and the money comes from lots of sites which AS/SS aside supply nothing more than a top up.

Alamy used to provide only 10 or so sales per year *but* each of those sales was for hundreds of dollars.  These days its a few dollars per sale.

Worth noting this month seems particularly poor right across the board, AS is down, 123RF is down by maybe half each for some reason.

15 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Stimulus money just goes to the bankers and the cryptocurrency eejits! There is no trickle down....only trickle up to make the 0 .001% richer.