Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Others that I know say they now make more on SS, despite everything. And that is reflected in what they shoot. On the other hand, I can see why contributors who have a high percentage of editorials in their ports (which is not your case, of course, Wilm) may suffer the worst decline, due to the majority of their type of buyers (newspapers and such) who purchase the large 350 or 750/10c commission packs. 

With such commissions, the studio's work on the SS is only at a loss. The studios left the SS. Just like in my time with IS. Advertising will inevitably follow the studios. This is an unavoidable process. Accordingly, the sales volume will inevitably fall. Someone can and will win, but the majority only loses and will lose. Sales on AS have already increased dramatically. this year I have already sold more on AS than last year or the year before....

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a few surprises after doing my first 4 months analysis and I thought I might share them here. They have given me more hope than I first imagined for this year. I must admit that I was worried th

A video download this morning with an RPD of $67.62 is a good start to the month on an otherwise awful Monday morning I'm having (not stock photography related).

Hi guys, Had no sales for the month so far pretty much and then today 70 bucks from just a normal picture? Didnt even know that this is possible, but I wont complain!! J

Posted Images

4 hours ago, lik13vvs said:

With such commissions, the studio's work on the SS is only at a loss. The studios left the SS. Just like in my time with IS. Advertising will inevitably follow the studios. This is an unavoidable process. Accordingly, the sales volume will inevitably fall. Someone can and will win, but the majority only loses and will lose. Sales on AS have already increased dramatically. this year I have already sold more on AS than last year or the year before....

Do you mean the big factories? Africa Studio, the largest of them all, is still here on SS with over 1.3 million images. 

I am pleased that you are doing very well on AS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My sales on AS are around one third/one quarter of the sales on SS both in dls and $$ with , near enough, identical portfolios on both. Sales on AS have, in the past,  often been much worse than that 1:3 or 1:4 ratio.

On SS I have between 160-200 dls each month and I see on AS that I now have achieved 142 sales this year. There are 2 comforts with sales on AS and those are....a minimum of £0.27 per sale and very often £0.74 +bigger non-sub sales and the fact that I get PS&LR free with 150dls/year = €120 bonus. It may be illogical businesswise but all those 10centers here (often following for 5 to 10 in a row) peeve me so much that I no longer upload. Haven't uploaded anything anywhere since May 2020 but when I do, it won't be here. I have to say that when the gittin' was good, SS was mostly 10X AS and I had the feeling of being rewarded for effort. Alas, that's no longer the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Adobe was doing well for me until around middle of last year. Like with all microstock sites I take part in I kept expanding my portfolio and my earnings keep rising. With small income sites the rise was obviously less noticeable, but Adobe is, or was, one of my top 3 earners. For a brief moment it was even my best earner.
But then something seems to have changed for me on Adobe. My earnings keep stagnating for months and then the trend started to be even going downwards. More than on any other agency I seem not to be able to rally sell new content. Most of my sales are from files I uploaded 2 years ago. It's difficult on all sites to get new content noticed, of course, but most noticeable there. For example I had good  success with my Halloween and Christmas dog photos on SS and iStock and even on some smaller sites like Dreamstime some of them made it into the Editorial Choice collection and sold more often than other photos. On Adobe? Not a single one of them has sold, not even once. It's like I upload my new content there into a big black hole. This month Adobe is doing so poorly for me, that it's now in the same range as the small micro sites for me. Strangely enough, while my earnings there don't rise, my overall Adobe rank keeps rising. So Adobe keeps telling me I keep slowly but constantly getting "more successful" then others, even though the trend is clearly downwards. 

This also seems to have stayed mostly unnoticed on the SS forum, but Adobe recently announced an unlimited-download plan where contributors don't get paid per download, but from a shared pool with all other contributors whose images have been downloaded with unlimited plans, meaning, the more images these customers download (without additional costs), the less money we get. 😑

I had great hopes for Adobe, but not anymore. I am doing well on SS and iStock, but unless something changes with Adobe, it might not even be worth my time in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Firn said:

Adobe was doing well for me until around middle of last year. Like with all microstock sites I take part in I kept expanding my portfolio and my earnings keep rising. With small income sites the rise was obviously less noticeable, but Adobe is, or was, one of my top 3 earners. For a brief moment it was even my best earner.
But then something seems to have changed for me on Adobe. My earnings keep stagnating for months and then the trend started to be even going downwards. More than on any other agency I seem not to be able to rally sell new content. Most of my sales are from files I uploaded 2 years ago. It's difficult on all sites to get new content noticed, of course, but most noticeable there. For example I had good  success with my Halloween and Christmas dog photos on SS and iStock and even on some smaller sites like Dreamstime some of them made it into the Editorial Choice collection and sold more often than other photos. On Adobe? Not a single one of them has sold, not even once. It's like I upload my new content there into a big black hole. This month Adobe is doing so poorly for me, that it's now in the same range as the small micro sites for me. Strangely enough, while my earnings there don't rise, my overall Adobe rank keeps rising. So Adobe keeps telling me I keep slowly but constantly getting "more successful" then others, even though the trend is clearly downwards. 

This also seems to have stayed mostly unnoticed on the SS forum, but Adobe recently announced an unlimited-download plan where contributors don't get paid per download, but from a shared pool with all other contributors whose images have been downloaded with unlimited plans, meaning, the more images these customers download (without additional costs), the less money we get. 😑

I had great hopes for Adobe, but not anymore. I am doing well on SS and iStock, but unless something changes with Adobe, it might not even be worth my time in the future.

Hello Firn, 

For me, it's the other way around. Since May 2020, I have dropped from position 1,600 to position 1,770 in the overall ranking. And this, although my download numbers have improved significantly compared to last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

This delicious wine is excellent value for money, Annie! Whereas the Cabernet Sauvignon from Rosemount Estate is also very tasty. They do that well in your home country.

I have already checked 4 agencies. This is how it looks for my income in the period from January to April compared to 2020:

• shutterstock –12.7%
• AS +58%
• 123rf –10.5%
• DT + 22.9%

Whereas the figures for DT are so bad for me by now that it's actually not even worth the effort to recalculate. Maybe that's also the reason why I thought things had decreased there. I should stop uploading there – it's not really worth the time.

Deposit +2%

iS –5%

Canstock +5%

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Hello Firn, 

For me, it's the other way around. Since May 2020, I have dropped from position 1,600 to position 1,770 in the overall ranking. And this, although my download numbers have improved significantly compared to last year.

I am at position 13.150 right now, but I don't know what position I was in May 20. I think something around 18.000-20.000? I just checked and my download number for Jan-May 20 was actually lower than Jan-May 21, but my earnings were more. So I would conclude that the position ranking is considering download numbers instead of earnings, thus my improved ranking despite lower earnings. But it doesn't make sense that you have dropped in position despite more downloads. I can't make sense of this position system.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Firn said:

I am at position 13.150 right now, but I don't know what position I was in May 20. I think something around 18.000-20.000? I just checked and my download number for Jan-May 20 was actually lower than Jan-May 21, but my earnings were more. So I would conclude that the position ranking is considering download numbers instead of earnings, thus my improved ranking despite lower earnings. But it doesn't make sense that you have dropped in position despite more downloads. I can't make sense of this position system.

Firn,

that just means that 1,760 contributors on Adobe Stock have more total downloads than I do. And last year it was just 1,600.
Fictitious numbers: If I had added 1,000 downloads in this year period, these 1,760 contributors would have added more than 1,000 downloads. They simply performed better than I did, even though I was able to improve my numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, chrisontour84 said:

Hi guys,

Had no sales for the month so far pretty much and then today 70 bucks from just a normal picture? Didnt even know that this is possible, but I wont complain!!

image.png.dac17a45fa026594d4f5fc390f804462.pngJ

Well done!

One never really knows what will sell and for how much. My highest selling shot (No. 1 for downloads and No. 2 for dollars) is nothing special. But it obviously hits a market need. One day it gets a couple of dollars, the next day 10 cents. Just the luck of the draw.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Firn said:

I am at position 13.150 right now, but I don't know what position I was in May 20. I think something around 18.000-20.000? I just checked and my download number for Jan-May 20 was actually lower than Jan-May 21, but my earnings were more. So I would conclude that the position ranking is considering download numbers instead of earnings, thus my improved ranking despite lower earnings. But it doesn't make sense that you have dropped in position despite more downloads. I can't make sense of this position system.

I just saw that I slipped down 10 places in the overall ranking again.

March 3 — 1,740
March 31 — 1,750
April 19 — 1,760
03 May — 1,770
May 09 — 1,780

The intervals are getting shorter and shorter. A lot of contributors are passing me by.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Firn said:

This also seems to have stayed mostly unnoticed on the SS forum, but Adobe recently announced an unlimited-download plan where contributors don't get paid per download, but from a shared pool with all other contributors whose images have been downloaded with unlimited plans, meaning, the more images these customers download (without additional costs), the less money we get. 😑

I had great hopes for Adobe, but not anymore. I am doing well on SS and iStock, but unless something changes with Adobe, it might not even be worth my time in the future.

I haven't seen this before, Firn. Do you have more info on it?

I know that DP is also preparing to do the same. I received an email invitation to add selected files to this program just last week from them. Because I haven't seen it discussed anywhere, I thought they may have only approached a limited number of contributors.

I don't like these plans, either. 

Thank you for sharing this information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Milleflore Images said:

I know that DP is also preparing to do the same. I received an email invitation to add selected files to this program just last week from them. Because I haven't seen it discussed anywhere, I thought they may have only approached a limited number of contributors.

I saw that, and I took a look at the images they had selected, which were, as far as I can tell, images that have either no sales or very little sales.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

I haven't seen this before, Firn. Do you have more info on it?

I know that DP is also preparing to do the same. I received an email invitation to add selected files to this program just last week from them. Because I haven't seen it discussed anywhere, I thought they may have only approached a limited number of contributors.

I don't like these plans, either. 

Thank you for sharing this information.

Here you can get some information, Annie:

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/contributor-faq-for-cct-cce-pro-edition-.html

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Are you a contributor there?

Then you have to look under "Dashboard".

Ranking options 
- this week
- this month
- this year
- over all

I think the ranking only gets displayed if you have a rank lower than 40.000. At least that was when the ranking showed up for me for the first time after I joined Adobe.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's Monday evening here and this week has started out much different to last week. I'm well into the third day without a sale of any kind on Shutterstock (though did get a few rejections). I had a few sales on Adobe Stock over the weekend, nothing great, but if not for the big sale last week as per my opening post on this thread, Adobe Stock would be ahead of Shutterstock - not because Adobe Stock is performing great but SS has performed poorly this past week (with exception of the video sale). I had a sale on Pond5 which came through yesterday which was good to see, especially given it was during the weekend.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

In half a day one third of the month is over.

Downloads are very low compared to last year. But income here at shutterstock is already almost half of complete May 2020 - so that's okay.

But it will become very difficult to reach last year's income at the competitor.

 

May_10_2021.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...