Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a few surprises after doing my first 4 months analysis and I thought I might share them here. They have given me more hope than I first imagined for this year. I must admit that I was worried th

A video download this morning with an RPD of $67.62 is a good start to the month on an otherwise awful Monday morning I'm having (not stock photography related).

Hi guys, Had no sales for the month so far pretty much and then today 70 bucks from just a normal picture? Didnt even know that this is possible, but I wont complain!! J

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Milo J said:

Well, @Steven Tritton paved the way for May goodness - woke up to a $86 video download this morning. It's been a while since seeing any clip sale over $20! And it was something I uploaded three years ago, never sold before. @Doug Jensen is right, gotta just keep planting those seeds. Eventually, they'll fruit.

Anyway, felt inspired to run out today and shoot some new clips. That's been a while too. Me feeling inspired about this whole stock business.

Yes, strike while the iron of inspiration is hot. Congratulations on the clip sale!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Milo J said:

By the way, am fully expecting my clips to all be rejected the first round over invalid model release or some other BS... cross your fingers for me. It sucks having to re-upload a bunch of 4K.

Of the 5 clips sold today, 3 of them were rejected for noise/artefacts on upload so i just resubmitted with no changes and accepted an hour later.

Its irritating and on a slow internet connection, very time consuming to have to reupload.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Milo J said:

By the way, am fully expecting my clips to all be rejected the first round over invalid model release or some other BS... cross your fingers for me. It sucks having to re-upload a bunch of 4K.

Yeah. I get all my clips rejected first time around. Noise and artifacts is what I get. Resubmission doesn't always work either.  Sometimes I resubmit several times, other times I give up. Frustrating and sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Milo J said:

Well, @Steven Tritton paved the way for May goodness - woke up to a $86 video download this morning. It's been a while since seeing any clip sale over $20! And it was something I uploaded three years ago, never sold before. @Doug Jensen is right, gotta just keep planting those seeds. Eventually, they'll fruit.

Anyway, felt inspired to run out today and shoot some new clips. That's been a while too. Me feeling inspired about this whole stock business.

Yes, you have to plant those seeds if you ever want to harvest the fruit.  Last month I had two sales over $200 and one sale over $300, so there are still some big spenders surfing around the Shutterstock site.

I'm inspired to shoot almost every day.  My problem is I'm not inspired to do the metadata and submit.  Now I've got a backlog of about 4500 4K clips that I don't know how I'll ever dig  myself out from under -- while I continue to pile on more.    There are never enough hours in the day to do everything I want to do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Panga Media said:

Nice port ;) why are you hiding it?

It must be a new concept, being a former poster that actually post more now than before, giving your advice but hiding your own work, sharing without sharing, showing off about a sale and complaining about the good old days... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Awana JF said:

It must be a new concept, being a former poster that actually post more now than before, giving your advice but hiding your own work, sharing without sharing, showing off about a sale and complaining about the good old days... 

We've talked about that before. I thought it was out of fear that the photos would be stolen or copied.
Good-selling photos are of course often stolen. There are countless topics about that. But I wonder if they check the forum for that. Maybe at the forum 'Show and Tell'
Mine are not so commercial that I worry about it.
I don't want to brag, though this month it is now: 0,10 - 0,10 - 0,10 - 0,10 - 0,70 - 0,11 - 0,10 - 0,10- 0,10 - 0,11- 0,10  😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Not much sold on Adobe this week and not at inflated prices, but it still looks better than my sales on Shutterstock.

 

My RPD at the "competitor" this month so far. About a dollar and a half better than here!

After having little to no sales in 2020, am pleasantly surprised at the serious spurt in activity over there. I guess patience does pay off sometimes.

Screenshot (19).png

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

My RPD at the "competitor" this month so far. About a dollar and a half better than here!

After having little to no sales in 2020, am pleasantly surprised at the serious spurt in activity over there. I guess patience does pay off sometimes.

Screenshot (19).png

Adobe is in 2021 also much better to me than in 2020

adobe ink.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a few surprises after doing my first 4 months analysis and I thought I might share them here. They have given me more hope than I first imagined for this year. I must admit that I was worried that microstock is dead, but to my surprise its not.

These are my percentage sales increases and decreases for January to April 2021 compared the same period last year. They are for dollars earned, not number of downloads.

These agencies were all up:

iStock up by     30%

DT                      91%

Alamy                83%

FAA                    98%

P5                       391%

 

These were down:

SS Videos          -66%

123RF                -46%

 

The rest were roughly the same (within 10% to 20%) as last year:

SS Photos

Adobe Stock

DepositPhotos

 

NOTES

Despite climbing up from L1 to L5 for SS photos, I have earnt about the same as last year. A big surprise for me. The reset hasn't affected me, dollar wise. 

I have made a lot more large SOD photos sales on SS this year.

P5 is doing particularly well this year compared to last year, with some really good 4k and video EL sales.

DT is also doing much, much better recently.

SS video sales is my biggest problem and that's due mainly to the video subscription packs that they brought in last May. I don't have enough of the type of clips that are exempt from these subscription packs (ie high quality establishing shots that are purchased for movies, documentaries, TV, etc).

 

My recommendation to others:

  • Keep uploading high quality unique work. Don't downsize your photos. I used to but I don't anymore. Larger size photos are more inclined to sell for large SODs and ELs. Only downsize to assist with problematic conditions such as fog, rain, or waterfalls, etc, in your photos.
  • Quick Tip that was given to me when I first started: To overcome focus rejections, find the sweet spot of your lens. How To Find Your Lens' Sweet Spot: A Guide to Sharper Images (digital-photography-school.com)
  • I only have about 200 editorials in my whole portfolio of photos. My Game of Thrones illustrative editorials have performed exceptionally well download-wise, but their RPD is much, much lower than my other best sellers. 
  • I do NOT have a Pareto Principle port where 20% of my port yields 80% of my income. I shoot things across the board and keep changing from year to year. I have a wide range of best sellers. And I do not shoot the same thing year in/year out. 
  • I do a lot of research to find new subjects that are not well covered here. For the last few years, I mainly research social media to find content ideas that are very popular there, but not well covered by microstock contributors. 
  • I have always aimed to provide images that stand out on crowded search pages, with good dynamic range to catch the buyers' eye. 

 

@Wilm Ihlenfeld Wilm, in case you're interested, its been almost exactly a year since I hit 90k DLs, and have now 2,500 to go to reach the big 100k. (Covid and economic downturn last year hit my DLs quite a bit.) But as I promised you will be the first to know when I get there. 

 

 

 

1111Screenshot 2021-05-08 063422.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 5:36 PM, Former_Poster said:

Of the 5 clips sold today, 3 of them were rejected for noise/artefacts on upload so i just resubmitted with no changes and accepted an hour later.

Its irritating and on a slow internet connection, very time consuming to have to reupload.

I had three of six rejected for being too similar. These people are not video editors, that's for sure.

Oh, and all of the stills (literally screen grabs off the 4K) were rejected for invalid model release. Same release as submitted for the video clips. Gotta love SS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

I had a few surprises after doing my first 4 months analysis and I thought I might share them here. They have given me more hope than I first imagined for this year. I must admit that I was worried that microstock is dead, but to my surprise its not.

These are my percentage sales increases and decreases for January to April 2021 compared the same period last year. They are for dollars earned, not number of downloads.

These agencies were all up:

iStock up by     30%

DT                      91%

Alamy                83%

FAA                    98%

P5                       391%

That's awesome, especially the increase for P5. Hope the trend will continue for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

I had a few surprises after doing my first 4 months analysis and I thought I might share them here. They have given me more hope than I first imagined for this year. I must admit that I was worried that microstock is dead, but to my surprise its not.

These are my percentage sales increases and decreases for January to April 2021 compared the same period last year. They are for dollars earned, not number of downloads.

These agencies were all up:

iStock up by     30%

DT                      91%

Alamy                83%

FAA                    98%

P5                       391%

 

These were down:

SS Videos          -66%

123RF                -46%

 

The rest were roughly the same (within 10% to 20%) as last year:

SS Photos

Adobe Stock

DepositPhotos

 

NOTES

Despite climbing up from L1 to L5 for SS photos, I have earnt about the same as last year. A big surprise for me. The reset hasn't affected me, dollar wise. 

I have made a lot more large SOD photos sales on SS this year.

P5 is doing particularly well this year compared to last year, with some really good 4k and video EL sales.

DT is also doing much, much better recently.

SS video sales is my biggest problem and that's due mainly to the video subscription packs that they brought in last May. I don't have enough of the type of clips that are exempt from these subscription packs (ie high quality establishing shots that are purchased for movies, documentaries, TV, etc).

 

My recommendation to others:

  • Keep uploading high quality unique work. Don't downsize your photos. I used to but I don't anymore. Larger size photos are more inclined to sell for large SODs and ELs. Only downsize to assist with problematic conditions such as fog, rain, or waterfalls, etc, in your photos.
  • Quick Tip that was given to me when I first started: To overcome focus rejections, find the sweet spot of your lens. How To Find Your Lens' Sweet Spot: A Guide to Sharper Images (digital-photography-school.com)
  • I only have about 200 editorials in my whole portfolio of photos. My Game of Thrones illustrative editorials have performed exceptionally well download-wise, but their RPD is much, much lower than my other best sellers. 
  • I do NOT have a Pareto Principle port where 20% of my port yields 80% of my income. I shoot things across the board and keep changing from year to year. I have a wide range of best sellers. And I do not shoot the same thing year in/year out. 
  • I do a lot of research to find new subjects that are not well covered here. For the last few years, I mainly research social media to find content ideas that are very popular there, but not well covered by microstock contributors. 
  • I have always aimed to provide images that stand out on crowded search pages, with good dynamic range to catch the buyers' eye. 

 

@Wilm Ihlenfeld Wilm, in case you're interested, its been almost exactly a year since I hit 90k DLs, and have now 2,500 to go to reach the big 100k. (Covid and economic downturn last year hit my DLs quite a bit.) But as I promised you will be the first to know when I get there. 

 

 

 

1111Screenshot 2021-05-08 063422.jpg

Hello Annie,

of course I'm interested!
When you hit 100,000, I will go to the shop around the corner, buy a bottle of Rosemount Estate Shiraz from Down Under and toast your success and good health in the evening! I promise!

The statistics you showed are interesting. I'll compare my numbers on Monday as well. But I'm already sure that the opposite will come out for me regarding DT.

I wish you a nice weekend,

Wilm

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Hello Annie,

of course I'm interested!
When you hit 100,000, I will go to the shop around the corner, buy a bottle of Rosemount Estate Shiraz from Down Under and toast your success and good health in the evening! I promise!

The statistics you showed are interesting. I'll compare my numbers on Monday as well. But I'm already sure that the opposite will come out for me regarding DT.

I wish you a nice weekend,

Wilm

Rosemount! Yay! Not only is it an Aussie wine but it's from my home state, South Australia, as well 🙂

I will have to get busy and upload more - LOL - just to make sure you get to enjoy the wine. 

Nice weekend to you too, Wilm. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doing pretty well on Adobe this year and have already surpassed 2020 on there. In dollar terms I have made more on Adobe so far this year than I have on SS despite having four times as many downloads on SS. I'm actually getting quite a lot more SS downloads this year than in 2020 but the subs are killing me and I'm simply not getting the volume of ODDs and SODs that I did last year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Rosemount! Yay! Not only is it an Aussie wine but it's from my home state, South Australia, as well 🙂

I will have to get busy and upload more - LOL - just to make sure you get to enjoy the wine. 

Nice weekend to you too, Wilm. 

This delicious wine is excellent value for money, Annie! Whereas the Cabernet Sauvignon from Rosemount Estate is also very tasty. They do that well in your home country.

I have already checked 4 agencies. This is how it looks for my income in the period from January to April compared to 2020:

• shutterstock –12.7%
• AS +58%
• 123rf –10.5%
• DT + 22.9%

Whereas the figures for DT are so bad for me by now that it's actually not even worth the effort to recalculate. Maybe that's also the reason why I thought things had decreased there. I should stop uploading there – it's not really worth the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

This delicious wine is excellent value for money, Annie! Whereas the Cabernet Sauvignon from Rosemount Estate is also very tasty. They do that well in your home country.

I have already checked 4 agencies. This is how it looks for my income in the period from January to April compared to 2020:

• shutterstock –12.7%
• AS +58%
• 123rf –10.5%
• DT + 22.9%

Whereas the figures for DT are so bad for me by now that it's actually not even worth the effort to recalculate. Maybe that's also the reason why I thought things had decreased there. I should stop uploading there – it's not really worth the time.

Yes, Aussies are well known for their red wine. 🙂

 

Well done on your AS sales, Wilm. I can see why you would do very well there providing beautiful graphic resources to designers and their software users.

A decline of 12% on SS could be a natural one, considering all the global problems of the past year. Or it could be something else. I think if one is within 10 to 15% of last year, then considering everything, new rates included, then thats a good thing. 

Others that I know say they now make more on SS, despite everything. And that is reflected in what they shoot. On the other hand, I can see why contributors who have a high percentage of editorials in their ports (which is not your case, of course, Wilm) may suffer the worst decline, due to the majority of their type of buyers (newspapers and such) who purchase the large 350 or 750/10c commission packs. 

But I think the most interesting thing is that it all boils down to what we shoot and whether we choose to upload or not. Its always up to the individual, and there is no right or wrong, just choices. I was angry at first with the whole new rates scenario, but now I am hopeful and can look forward to doing what I love most - researching, planning and shooting the things I love to shoot. And that to me is the most important thing.

I think its also important for people to realise that its not totally out of their control. We  always have choices. Feeling out of control makes one feel angry, helpless or despondent. And that's the worst possible thing for the creative type person. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Milleflore Images said:

Yes, Aussies are well known for their red wine. 🙂

 

Well done on your AS sales, Wilm. I can see why you would do very well there providing beautiful graphic resources to designers and their software users.

A decline of 12% on SS could be a natural one, considering all the global problems of the past year. Or it could be something else. I think if one is within 10 to 15% of last year, then considering everything, new rates included, then thats a good thing. 

Others that I know say they now make more on SS, despite everything. And that is reflected in what they shoot. On the other hand, I can see why contributors who have a high percentage of editorials in their ports (which is not your case, of course, Wilm) may suffer the worst decline, due to the majority of their type of buyers (newspapers and such) who purchase the large 350 or 750/10c commission packs. 

But I think the most interesting thing is that it all boils down to what we shoot and whether we choose to upload or not. Its always up to the individual, and there is no right or wrong, just choices. I was angry at first with the whole new rates scenario, but now I am hopeful and can look forward to doing what I love most - researching, planning and shooting the things I love to shoot. And that to me is the most important thing.

I think its also important for people to realise that its not totally out of their control. We  always have choices. Feeling out of control makes one feel angry, helpless or despondent. And that's the worst possible thing for the creative type person. 

Hello Annie,

I can't really explain the increase in revenue with AS. I uploaded very little and probably just got lucky with the algorithm.

In general, I have the advantage that I not only produce stock images, but also permanently buy stock images. In a few segments I know where there is a need. I see the niches where there is hardly any supply for me as a buyer.

I've been very listless lately in terms of producing. I also had a certain "Covid fatigue". And I've had a lot of work. I don't want to make excuses for my laziness, but there was a lot to take care of on the side.

To put it in Doug's words: I didn't plant enough seeds during the last year.
I would know quite well what I had to produce to increase sales. And at some point it will start again for me. In principle, it's like you describe with the research and analysis. I just have to get myself up to work on it again. And I have to admit that the new revenue structure at shutterstock was also a major motivational brake for me. But there are still many other agencies and fields of activity.

Have a nice weekend,

Wilm


 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I can't really explain the increase in revenue with AS. I uploaded very little and probably just got lucky with the algorithm.

SS became unprofitable for studios. The studios have left it or are leaving it. The same thing happened with the IS. And the studios went to AS. That's all the answers. I get more for a week on AS than for 2 months on SS. Uploading profile materials to the cc-stopped after the policy change.

1111.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...