Is this the reason for photo grades?

Came across this addition to the search display of our photos today, it looks very interesting at first glance, it may give the sleepers a chance to move forward, and give S.S. a complete new inventory from semi archived stock.

Thoughts invited I have included 3 of mine that has a low rating(6/10?) if it is viewed I will let you know if it goes up in the rating.

It also appears the critiques vary with the rating.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/old-1910-camp-site-workers-nearby-1387108706

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/dawn-sunrise-gold-mining-area-north-1965333628

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/old-1910-camp-site-workers-nearby-1387107356

Planned for the new month?

Not sure if I can get back to the post as I am out of lock up.

Regards,   F.

7 hours ago, anne-tipodees said:

Sorry Firn this is what I was talking about, I may have missed it if it has been happening for awhile as it is an area that seldom visit.

image.thumb.png.4ddb21ad88cf7f072c5215f01109ed7a.png

Ah, I see. Sorry about the confusion.
I see neither the ratings nor this popularity/usage thing, so I didn't know this was something else.

1 hour ago, SariMe said:

I don't know why this last one is rare gem and 'Not used yet'
It has almost 100 downloads though 

In other words, the system they created is failing in its job already, and miserably at that!

But yeah I'm in the same boat with others here - I don't see that feature anywhere.

I just checked, and I can see it on my phone after all.... and I took a look at some of my best sellers and they are all "not used yet" and popularity is most often "medium" or even "low".

Thank you Shutterstock for telling your customers my images were crap that no one wanted, even for images that were bought hundred times and can be found all over the internet. That will surely help my sales.... 😒

I didn't notice this popularity metrics until reading about it here.

It seems to me, it is just another unreliable thing. I checked a few of my images from the Top performers page and I've seen images with 2 downloads noted as high and others with 5 dls noted with "Low, not used yet". Also, everything with 8-10 dls or more is noted with high.

I wonder if marking the images as "superstar" will help or will hurt our images. Do people still want an image that was downloaded to death?

I still can't see the other ranking (under the image) and I would be happier if SS would use their free time for something useful instead of inventing these qualifiers.

weird ranking, i must say.... i can see it from another browser... and i am very puzzled

some images that have barely been sold in the last year, they show as a high performers and often used ... hmmm ... THAT is strange

Can't see it with Chrome, but visible with Microsoft. Nonsense. For example, this one has been sold 18 times.
The other ranking is nowhere to be seen.

They don't like me. This is under almost all of my photos. Fortunately, I usually use Chrome. Then I don't see it. They better use this wasted money to pay us better.

shut ton2.jpg

As a beginner, I would very much like to understand what this is about. Understood nothing. But I was engaged in raising the ratings of sites. Newbie only in photography. If you have time for someone, explain in a popular way.

I don't quite understand what you don't understand @StasF🙂 Or don't you see the reviews as well, like I do on Chrome?

• Very often Shutterstock does not explain what they are doing. Maybe not to make the co-competition any wiser. They are not that interested in us, so we don't get to hear anything either. That is why we wonder on the forum what they are doing now.
  • First, all of our photos were human rated before being accepted. Then automatic recognition came in. It took a long time for Shutterstock to admit they had.
  • Then came the rating 6/10 -10/10, which was not seen by everyone and sometimes different. For example, I saw 9/10 instead of 10/10. The reason has not been explained to us. Perhaps so that the customer can eventually select if he / she only wants to see the best photos. No idea.
  • That has disappeared from me.
  • Now the assessment has been added, of which we see examples in this topic. Only I see it with Microsoft and not with Chrome. And is very imprecise. Now we can discuss why Shutterstock is doing this, because we will not get it from Shutterstock for the time being.

I found one image of mine that has a "high" popularity and is "often used" after all...  The image sold 72 times, while other images of mine that sold way more often have a "low" popularity and have been "not used yet".

If you click on the question mark next to the Usage text, it will explain that this data is "relative to other assets in Shutterstock's catalog". That would explain why an image that has sold 100 times might be marked as "not used yet", because other images from other contributors might have sold 100.000 times and 100 is "nothing" compared to 100.000.
But it doesn't explain why an image with only 72 sales is marked as "often used" while images with more sales are "not used yet". It seems to be completely random. 🙄

Either way, even if it worked right, this seems like a shitty system that will boost images that have been at the top of the search for 10 years and therefore continue to get more sales just because of that position even though there might be way better images in the database by now even more, while newer content that automatically gets a "poor" rating will have an even harder time to get sold than it already had before.

I'm not talking about authors like us. I'll tell you about the buyers. How can they use a parameter when you don't understand how it works?

Although at the present time you already cease to be surprised at something. People think little, and more and more often believe in the divine power of algorithms that will give out information for making a decision. And the more primitive the presentation, the more incomprehensible the algorithm, the more they believe.

36 minutes ago, Firn said:

I found one image of mine that has a "high" popularity and is "often used" after all...  The image sold 72 times, while other images of mine that sold way more often have a "low" popularity and have been "not used yet".

Your example is not the most epic one. I have more extravagant examples.
Most likely, the data were used to calculate the indicator from some very narrow period of 2020. That is why there are so many oddities.

5 hours ago, Tim photo-video said:

Most likely, the data were used to calculate the indicator from some very narrow period of 2020. That is why there are so many oddities.

Maybe, but my rain barrel was sold twice last week. So "Not used yet" would also be wrong according to your theory.

I suspect this is just a test of another poorly thought out and executed image evaluation system SS's programmers have developed.  Obviously, the CEO wants to implement some kind of evaluation of "their" vast image collection but I expect there will be many more test before they come up with one THEY like.  

It appears that the 6/10 - 10/10 rating system has disappeared from my browser of choice and I don't see this new one so I'm not going to worry about this new programming debacle.  I'll wait for the inevitable e-mail from SS describing the Great Thing they've developed for our benefit before I get too worked up.      

02.05.2021 в 09:14 Thijs de Graaf сказал:

Я не совсем понимаю, чего ты не понимаешь @StasF🙂 Или вы тоже не видите обзоры, как я в Chrome?

• Shutterstock очень часто не объясняет, что они делают. Может быть, не для того, чтобы состязание стало мудрее. Они не особо упоминают в нас, поэтому мы тоже ничего не слышим. Вот почему мы задаемся вопросом на форуме, чем они сейчас занимаются.
  • Во-первых, все наши фотографии были оценены людьми перед тем, как быть приняты. Затем пришло автоматическое распознавание. Shutterstock потребовалось много времени, чтобы признать это.
  • Потом был рейтинг 6/10 -10/10, который не все видели, а иногда и разные. Например, я увидел 9/10 вместо 10/10. Причину нам не объяснили. Возможно, чтобы покупатель мог в итоге выбрать, хочет ли он видеть только лучшие фотографии. Без понятия.
  • Это исчезло из меня.
  • Теперь добавлена оценка, примеры мы видим в этой теме. Только я вижу это с Microsoft, а не с Chrome. И очень неточно. Теперь мы можем обсудить, почему Shutterstock делает это, потому что в настоящее время мы не получим этого от Shutterstock.

Thank you. I was very recently on the SS, that it seemed to me normal and commonplace. But I cannot evaluate it due to lack of experience. Although I was also disappointed by the grades.