Editorial = Need to remove phone numbers?

You cannot edit as far as cloning, removing or adding is concerned. You can blur a phone number. Especially if there are privacy or defamation concerns such as a license plate or a private phone number. A business phone number is different.

For example, what if someone goes to the  restroom of a bar and photographs a wall that says: For a good time call Brian at xxx-xxx-xxxx........just saying

It would be foolish if  SS does not allow you to blur a private number as in this example. It would even be more foolish to submit it "as is" if that's the case.

An editorial image can be used to illustrate newsworthy and current events. It can also be used to illustrate subjects of human interest, including: the arts, business, culture, health and fitness, lifestyle, social events, technology and travel. Shutterstock will accept editorial images that fall under two categories:
  • Documentary images: Images that document an event or subject of human interest
  • Illustrative images: Images that illustrate an event or subject of human interest through staging

Quality requirements
Illustrative Editorial images must have a quality that is inline with our commercial quality standards, so the arrangement of the subject and/or other visual elements that make up an image must be well thought out and image quality should be superb since this content is shot in a controlled environment. Light traditional photographic post-processing techniques can be used to enhance illustrative editorial content, but no major alterations.

For Documentary Editorial images the quality standards are more lenient. These images must accurately and truthfully communicate the event or subject. Although documentary images should be unaltered where possible, technical enhancements to improve the overall quality of the image itself are acceptable.

https://support.submit.shutterstock.com/s/article/How-do-I-submit-editorial-content?language=en_US

10 minutes ago, Awana JF said:
documentary images should be unaltered where possible

in my example, it is not possible

blurring a private phone number is not a "major alteration" Especially not if you can still see there is a phone number. (just not legible) 

36 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

For example, what if someone goes to the  restroom of a bar and photographs a wall that says: For a good time call Brian at xxx-xxx-xxxx........just saying

It would be foolish if  SS does not allow you to blur a private number as in this example. It would even be more foolish to submit it "as is" if that's the case.

I think that would fall under the rejections for "graffiti" There are many images (editorial) that I can not submit to SS because they have all these murals on the walls in SF, and those are rejected as a result. I get images rejected if they're wearing a cap with a sports team logo on them (also being submitted as editorial). they won't take them. So if it can't be cropped not to include that part, I don't bother even submitting them anymore.

4 minutes ago, Sheila Fitzgerald said:

I think that would fall under the rejections for "graffiti" There are many images (editorial) that I can not submit to SS because they have all these murals on the walls in SF, and those are rejected as a result. I get images rejected if they're wearing a cap with a sports team logo on them (also being submitted as editorial). they won't take them. So if it can't be cropped not to include that part, I don't bother even submitting them anymore.

Graffiti and logos are rejected because of copyright issues in some countries. Some countries are okay with editorial of those things, but there is no way SS can separate each country they sell to, so they don't allow it anywhere.