Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This is the tale of a photo I took about 3 years ago. Not a particularly special image by any means. Taken with a small pocket camera, no processing. But it has a nice vibe.

Over at AS, it was picked up very quickly, and is among my best selling images (around 150 downloads). Here at SS, it simply disappeared into a black hole, buried instantly under the daily addition of new images. Which I found very disappointing.

Well, lo and behold, sometime this year, it finally sold for the first time. Then it sold again.Then a couple more times. Slowly. over the last several months, this thing is suddenly getting more and more popular, and this week, it has sold around a dozen times so far. Yesterday, it sold 6 times, today 4 times so far, including a $15.60 SOD. Turns out, it somehow, over the course of three years, has made it to page one for one of its keywords.

Take away message: it is still possible for an image to crawl to the surface. Some customers do dig through new content. Not that I'm getting rich off it, most sales are in the $0.10 to $0.15 range. But it just feels nice to be acknowledged by the universe. 🙂

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a lovely story and thanks for sharing, Milo. 

...

Forums have always been notorious for negativity. That's just human nature, I guess. SS forum has been full of threads complaining about rejections and low or diminishing sales for the past 8 years that I can remember. (And that was back in the good ol' days, lol) So, its always good to hear some positive news.

Its been nearly a year now that SS announced the 'new' rates, and I think by now people - for their own sake - need to move on. Leave your port here - don't leave your port here. SS is just our agency - we can choose whether to use them or not. Its everyone's personal choice.

But the only thing that constant negativity does, is bring you down. It stops your creativity and productivity. Its the most damaging thing we can do to ourselves. Sure, if we're having a bad day or a bad month or a bad rejection result, then get it out of our system - but then time to move on.

...

 And once again, well done on having success on your image, Milo! 

 

PS: there is life after 10c subs. On Level 5, I have less and less. And I also get some nice SODs like this below - much higher than under the old system. (That's a photo sale - not video)

My observation is that we can all improve our RPDs here - depending on what we shoot. (And I am not just talking about flowering trees 😉)

140SODScreenshot 2021-04-21 140018.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PlopandShoot said:

Just time chime in to echo both posts, I ditched my port here and moved over to Wirestock to sell here instead (not a promo post, I promise). Here is my success story for this month on topic:

image.png.a969bb5e34941d89828af9dad077be9c.png

The good thing about Wirestock - that some people may not realise is that it sends you straight up to level 6 here. You should put your referral link here too, Terry.

(Sorry I havent got back to you - I've been lost doing my current shoots. But I will soon!)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PlopandShoot said:

Just time chime in to echo both posts, I ditched my port here and moved over to Wirestock to sell here instead (not a promo post, I promise). Here is my success story for this month on topic:

image.png.a969bb5e34941d89828af9dad077be9c.png

Those results look a whole lot better than the typical SS individual port performance. Is this true of your experience? Also how long have you been with Wirestock?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your optimistic information, Milo. It would be nice if some pictures still see the light of day.

Annie, congratulations on this great SOD! I never had that either. A beautiful image! Two downloads for $120 each in one day was the highlight for me so far. But lately I can't get past SODs for $90. And they're too rare, too.

Terry, thanks for your information as well. I will take a closer look at WS - it sounds really interesting.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, David Calvert said:

I always try to remain positive that I will get a decent amount for my shots - and that happened here last week. One buyer bought 5 of my shots, and I received $137.00 for each of them!

Wow, David, incredible. I never heard about a success like that. Congratulations!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Calvert said:

I always try to remain positive that I will get a decent amount for my shots - and that happened here last week. One buyer bought 5 of my shots, and I received $137.00 for each of them!

That's fantastic, David!  And well deserved too. You have a great port with beautiful photography.

...

@Wilm IhlenfeldThanks Wilm for your comments above. 🙂 

It took me 4 years to get that photo. lol.  Here in Adelaide South Australia, we have many inner suburban streets lined with these beautiful purple flowering Jacaranda trees, and every year I would drive my husband crazy for us to go out and drive around all the streets in their November flowering season, to get the right shots.

I put a GoPro on the car bonnet, to get some driving-under-the-canopy video shots, and also jump out of the car to take the stills. But every year, I just wasn't happy with the shots. Either the weather wasnt right, or the trees weren't fully in flower, or we missed the best display - or it wasnt a very good season for the flowers to bloom as well as possible.

But then finally the November before last, I got the shots. It was a spur of the moment thing "come on, lets just try one more time" - and they have sold extremely well on all agencies. Also had several POD sales for them on FAA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Milo J said:

This is the tale of a photo I took about 3 years ago. Not a particularly special image by any means. Taken with a small pocket camera, no processing. But it has a nice vibe.

Over at AS, it was picked up very quickly, and is among my best selling images (around 150 downloads). Here at SS, it simply disappeared into a black hole, buried instantly under the daily addition of new images. Which I found very disappointing.

Well, lo and behold, sometime this year, it finally sold for the first time. Then it sold again.Then a couple more times. Slowly. over the last several months, this thing is suddenly getting more and more popular, and this week, it has sold around a dozen times so far. Yesterday, it sold 6 times, today 4 times so far, including a $15.60 SOD. Turns out, it somehow, over the course of three years, has made it to page one for one of its keywords.

Take away message: it is still possible for an image to crawl to the surface. Some customers do dig through new content. Not that I'm getting rich off it, most sales are in the $0.10 to $0.15 range. But it just feels nice to be acknowledged by the universe. 🙂

 

Congratulations! And to a many more such diamonds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Milo J @Milleflore Images @David Calvert

Congratulations!!! 

It's nice to hear such great news and have this positivity on the forum! 

It is also encouraging for others, there is hope for everyone! 

I had my first EL this month and even though it's 20 bucks, I am happy about it. As it is a positive post, I can share my experience with SS. I joined in 2019 and since that time I add pictures quite regularly. I did a projection in the beginning of 2020 as my portfolio grow and it still fit the projection more or less after the change of earning structure and the 2021 reset. The only bump was probably due to the covid-19 pandemic. So of course if I compare what I earn month by month with what I could have earned before, I'm a bit behind, but overall It is quite similar and it equilibrates at level 4. 

image.thumb.png.09620eba83450ac33f98d98f8f62eb32.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Milleflore Images said:

That's fantastic, David!  And well deserved too. You have a great port with beautiful photography.

...

@Wilm IhlenfeldThanks Wilm for your comments above. 🙂 

It took me 4 years to get that photo. lol.  Here in Adelaide South Australia, we have many inner suburban streets lined with these beautiful purple flowering Jacaranda trees, and every year I would drive my husband crazy for us to go out and drive around all the streets in their November flowering season, to get the right shots.

I put a GoPro on the car bonnet, to get some driving-under-the-canopy video shots, and also jump out of the car to take the stills. But every year, I just wasn't happy with the shots. Either the weather wasnt right, or the trees weren't fully in flower, or we missed the best display - or it wasnt a very good season for the flowers to bloom as well as possible.

But then finally the November before last, I got the shots. It was a spur of the moment thing "come on, lets just try one more time" - and they have sold extremely well on all agencies. Also had several POD sales for them on FAA. 

Your ambition and the time invested have definitely paid off, Annie!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...