I had two video downloads of the same clip in March but zero in April so far. I am fairly new here and my video portfolio is slowly growing. Trying to work out what kind of videos are in demand is really hard.

How does one go about shooting the kind of videos that have potential for downloads? Any pointers?

A few brief thoughts, although some editorial is useful you have a large number of videos of one particular area (Epsom) relevant to one country (UK).

Those things do sell occasionally so worth doing but they do lack worldwide appeal so i think you do need to vary somewhat.

Also, although covid is popular now, its also the area with almost more submissions than anything else so competition is high.

I think you'd sell more of 65% of the portfolio wasnt centred around one town or area with appeal related to that.

Definitely try to get more non-editorial content as well as its got a far wider potential user base.

Thanks for your helpful reply. You have a valid point there. We have been under the lockdown in England for the last four months and were not permitted to travel far. The restrictions have somewhat eased since the 12th April. Next month we will be free to travel anywhere in the country which should give me a broader scope for filming.

I wonder if the UK footage is of less use in the US. 

However, I still have a couple of question:
1. How can one find out the kind of footage that is generally in good demand?
2. Are the video libraries getting fairly saturated?

Thanks.

SS do send out a "trends" email but it appears to be mainly nonsense and more of a wishlist than actual buyer trends.

Its probably easier to think of things you CAN shoot and then do some SS searches to gauge the amount of competing media around and decide from there.

Obvious things like flowers, sunsets and that sort of thing are very saturated.  You can do a search on SS and it tells you the number of matching videos/images for each one.

For example, covid vaccination centres (76 pages using the UK correct selling of centre) or test centres (34 pages) maybe in the news but many many people had the idea to go out and shoot them so unless you have something unique, that category is very heavily saturated.

Events like festivals (Easter, Christmas, Autumn, Spring, Summer travel....) tend to sell a few months ahead of the actual date as thats when content creators need to start working on them.  Again an example, dont upload Christmas stuff on December 20th and expect it to sell much - by that time most of the people that need that sort of thing have already bought and used it.  Autumn scenes start selling in the summer as people produce media FOR the Autumn.

UK footage is pretty good selling both inside and outside the country - just try to expand it to outside a town, less editorial stuff or if you can get it, model released media.

Just looking through the list of todays sales and yes a lot of my UK stuff has sold to the UK but by no means all. Somewhere in Iraq has bought some traffic roundabout shots, Colombia an Owl in flight and so on.

Given the absolutely massive paycuts SS inflicted on all of us this year its probably the wrong tactic to try to guess whats in demand and specifically shoot that.  It just wont be worth it.  Far better to think of the things you enjoy shooting and can do cheaply or easily and then from that pick the things that seem to mostly be in demand.
At RPDs for video dropping 75% since the paycut and creeping lower each month i dont think going out looking for stock which will sell is going to be economical both financially or time wise any more here.

Thanks for taking the time to write a detailed reply, much appreciated. There are pages and pages of certain subjects in the SS library, and I have tried to keep clear of those. The probability of someone downloading my clip among the thousands of other similar clips is pretty low.

3 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

For example, covid vaccination centres (76 pages using the UK correct selling of centre) or test centres (34 pages) maybe in the news but many many people had the idea to go out and shoot them so unless you have something unique, that category is very heavily saturated.

When I started uploading the Covid-19 vaccination centre at SS there were very few there from the UK, and one of my clip got downloaded twice within a fortnight. I might have been the early bird there. That made me think about filming anything that might make news, might be in demand, and started filming various shop signs but that proved to be totally unproductive.

As you rightly say, Covid coverage is an old hat now.

I have done a fair amount of video documentaries in my job but times have changed. I have no desire to cover public demos in London due to the increased risk these days of getting caught on the wrong side, especially if and when things get out of hand.

3 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

Just looking through the list of todays sales and yes a lot of my UK stuff has sold to the UK but by no means all. Somewhere in Iraq has bought some traffic roundabout shots, Colombia an Owl in flight and so on.

That's very encouraging and it gives me a lot of hope, though your posts don't show your portfolio below your name. Are you talking about stills or videos here?

You are right about the poor RPD on videos but it's way better than what people say on this forum about their stills. 

I have a big L plate on and I'm finding my way in the stock market and have greatly appreciated your very helpful suggestions.

Thank you.

Was referring to video and stills on those sales.

Prior to the paycuts video made up 40% of my income but only 10% of my portfolio so it was clearly the most efficient earner.
Since the cuts though the RPD video for me has dropped from about $20 to $5 so the advantage over images really isnt as big now.

The issue with news as such is SS isn't really a news agency - that's more Alamy and elsewhere.  Ultimately SS is a numbers game - unless you're very lucky to stumble across something, most areas are saturated so the only way to break through is with volume in a particular area.