Hi there

I'm wondering how keywords should be formulated:

* lower case or upper case (for names)?

* singular or plural (for nouns)?

* Which tense (for verbs)?

* How are special characters (especially diacritics like ä,á,ø,ß) handled?

For example, i get the same (or similar) results for the search terms:

* "dog"

* "dogs"

* "Dog"

* "Dogs"

Note that the distinction between lower case and upper case may be important for words with different meanings:

* "turkey" = the bird

* "Turkey" = the country

So, image search doesn't make this distinction. So, if you enter "Turkey" because you are looking for images *from* Turkey (the country), you'll get

many images of delicious roasted turkey :-)

Additionally, the distinction between singular and plural may also be relevant:

* "cat": I'm looking for a cat, several cats or anything cat-related.

* "cats": I'm looking for images with two or even more cats.

Also, diacritics are an issue. For example the German "ü" character can be replaced with "ue". However, many users who are unfamiliar with the

German language, will replace "ü" with an "u". This creates 3 variants, e.g. for the German city "Münster":

* "Münster" (German name)

* "Muenster" ("ü" is properly replaced with "ue")

* "Munster" (incorrect spelling, but probably used by users unfamiliar with German language)

In German, there is the "ß" special letter with follows different rules, like in the name of the river "Aufseß":

* "Aufseß" (German name)

* "Aufsess" ("ß" is properly replaced with "ss")

* "Aufseβ" (maybe someone unfamiliar with German language will replace ß with a lower case Beta?)

A similar issue can occur for Spanish:

* "Málaga" (proper spelling)

* "Malaga" (may be used by foreigners)

Or for Danish

* "Møn" (proper spelling)

* "Mon" (may be used by foreigners)

* "Mön" (may be used by Germans)

The last questions are regarding formulating verbs:

If i have an image of a steel beam that has been welded:

* "weld" (it was weld)

* "welded"(it has been welded)

If a have an image of a worker who is welding the steel beam

* "weld" (the base form of the verb, i.e. "to weld")

* "welding" (the worker is welding)

I'd be happy to see your opinions for these questions!

Also, i'd appreciate if the support staff of Shutterstock could provide information regarding proper formulating keywords.

Note: This question is posted in various photo sites, because i'm looking for a "unified solution", i.e. a "common denominator" general keyword

format that can be applied to photo files so they can be used in various photo sites.

I'll keep you noted when i have responses from the other photo sites so that we can define a "unified format", if possible...

Regards
fb1701

The rules are not the same for all sites, so not all that applies to SS applies elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure SS converts all uppercase names to lowercase, so your best bet is probably do them in uppercase, and the sites that keep that format will have it, and others will convert to lowercase.

SS also removes keywords that it deems as duplicates, and that includes nouns when presented both singular and plural - one will be removed; and different forms of the same verb, such as climb and climbing - they're looked at as the same thing, so pick one, or they'll simply remove the extra one here. I think some other places let you have both.

I would not use special characters here as they're known to cause all kinds of trouble; your image may never show up, or cause some other mess in the database. So, use anglicized spelling, such as Muenster in your example.

Many contributors (most of them?) hate the system at Getty - but it certainly has it advantages for customers - and it is really good imo. As the only microstock agency it supplies 'answers' to all your questions (exept upper or lower capital letters which doesn't matter) when uploadig there so misunderstandings can be avoided and there are only few redundant keywords. At SS and all the other agencies - nobody knows or cares. Your example with Turkey/turkey is exellent. At G you have to choose between country or animal. I would like all other agencies to apply this system.

@fb1701 You are trying way too hard and over thinking this.

Unified format now that's a good one.

rofl.gif

19 hours ago, Sari ONeal said:

The rules are not the same for all sites, so not all that applies to SS applies elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure SS converts all uppercase names to lowercase, so your best bet is probably do them in uppercase, and the sites that keep that format will have it, and others will convert to lowercase.

SS also removes keywords that it deems as duplicates, and that includes nouns when presented both singular and plural - one will be removed; and different forms of the same verb, such as climb and climbing - they're looked at as the same thing, so pick one, or they'll simply remove the extra one here. I think some other places let you have both.

I would not use special characters here as they're known to cause all kinds of trouble; your image may never show up, or cause some other mess in the database. So, use anglicized spelling, such as Muenster in your example.

All good advise points for SS. The reason why some keywords are removed is they are coded in as related words and only one needs to appear, for all of them to be searched. Same for plurals or verb tense - On SS - Correct capitols/Upper Case, are removed in Keywords, everything appears lower case and in alphabetical order. Also correct, avoid special characters everywhere on SS, nothing but problems.

If someone is keywording for other sites, use that format, word order, words, Upper Case and anything that helps there. SS will adjust and remove as needed, so there's no problem creating the metdata for the other site, where it does make a difference.

Use English language words and spelling only! The exception would be a proper name or place name. Translation is automatic by the system otherwise.

Yes there are words that are the same like turkey and Turkey, many words have dual or multiple meanings, this is something that can't be avoided. Stop worrying about the minutia and complicated details. Best words, that are what's the main content in the image. If you were searching for this image, what words would you use, as a buyer? If you were describing your image to someone who can't see it, what words would you use.

Clear, concise and accurate.

Im on random keyword rejections this week.

Batch of 12 all rejected with keywords, resubmitted with no changes they all get in.

2nd batch from same shoot, same keywords, 6 get in, 6 rejected with keywords.

Too random to work out any form of pattern.  That's assuming there's any pattern or logic to the SS Artificial Stupidity.

Its possible they don't like Welsh place names at times but cant confirm that.