On 4/22/2021 at 8:56 AM, oleschwander said:

Really good month for me. The best in a long time and a really lousy Easter. Almost like before the pay cut.¬†ūüĎć Surprising - especially when¬†I‚Äôm not a ‚Äėvideo‚Äô or ‚Äėaerial‚Äô guy¬†(where the big bucks are¬†I suppose) ...ūüėā

You might accidentally be ahead of your time.

Since the paycut, images now earn more than video for me.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a pretty dismal month, I've woken up to find that I've sold 5 images at $137... each! Great start to the day!!

The time of miracles is not over yet ...    

I had that yesterday.  I sold 2 photos.  Not sure I can cope with that sort of excitement too often.

Posted Images

4.5 more days, then April is through.

Compared to April 2020, I am still missing 14.8% of downloads. I expect that I will slightly exceed April 2020.

In terms of revenue, I already have 7% more.

At the competitor April 2020 was extremely bad for me. In this respect, it is not surprising that I already have 9% more downloads and 56% more revenue there.

The trend for me at Microstock remains negative, but has leveled off to some extent. That's how my review looks up to 2015, in terms of downloads.

complete_2015_2021.png

9 minutes ago, stevemart said:

Tomorrow morning, US time, we will find out how much SS made by reverting all contributors to Tier 1 on Jan 1st!

We can all listen to Pavlovsky doing corporate bullshit-bingo.

Except lots of terms like "synergy" and other completely random word salad to be used.

April sales you say? Oh really great... I am moving to P***5 for good now. I see a big respect for artists there, not like here and I prefer selling less but for x4 more which is the right and fair price for my work. 

If you don't have respect for yourself and give away your work for pennies, no one else will have either especially the greedy one.

April just reached last month's earnings, with a week to go. So not too bad. I'm back in the levels I will be in for the rest of the year. Overall though, income has been stagnant, and I have largely lost interest in creating new content.

On the good news front, my county is at 52% of population vaccinated, vaccinations are open to anyone who wants a shot, Covid case rates are way down from their gruesome peak in January, and things are opening up everywhere. My kids are making plans to go to Six Flags, and the best part about that one is that I don't have to go anymore, yay! They'll be driving themselves.

Almost near the end of April and it is only average after March's excellent performance.  Compared to April last year, I still need 11 more dl's before I have the same number of sales but April 20 I had top $ due to a sale of one photo for $65.00 this April my highest sale has been $1.75  ....huge difference :( 

27 minutes ago, David Calvert said:

That's perhaps where the big problem shows up:
The image database has increased by 40 million images in one year = +12%.

The amount of paid downloads has decreased by 2% ‚Ästand this does not include the given away images and special agreements.
So for the shareholders, you can only present increasing numbers if you save money elsewhere. For example, by introducing the new earning structure or/and by saving personnel costs.

This may have worked well in the first quarter, because all contributors were reset to level 1. But how will shutterstuck keep up the numbers if the contributors successively rise in level again and at some point there are no more personnel to save?

Paid_downloads.jpg

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

That's perhaps where the big problem shows up:
The image database has increased by 40 million images in one year = +12%.

The amount of paid downloads has decreased by 2% ‚Ästand this does not include the given away images and special agreements.
So for the shareholders, you can only present increasing numbers if you save money elsewhere. For example, by introducing the new earning structure or/and by saving personnel costs.

This may have worked well in the first quarter, because all contributors were reset to level 1. But how will shutterstuck keep up the numbers if the contributors successively rise in level again and at some point there are no more personnel to save?

Paid_downloads.jpg

I think you are cherry picking here by only commenting on the decrease in paid downloads. Shutterstock also reports that average revenue per customer, increased 4.0% and revenue per download increased 16%. 

From an investor perspective, the results are pretty decent and especially taking into account the possible impact of the pandemic.

The bad news from a contributor perspective is that the number of subscribers increased by 46%. That means that SS are converting customers who might have bought an ODD or and SOD into subscribers which means less revenue for us.

14 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

I think you are cherry picking here by only commenting on the decrease in paid downloads. Shutterstock also reports that average revenue per customer, increased 4.0% and revenue per download increased 16%. 

From an investor perspective, the results are pretty decent and especially taking into account the possible impact of the pandemic.

The bad news from a contributor perspective is that the number of subscribers increased by 46%. That means that SS are converting customers who might have bought an ODD or and SOD into subscribers which means less revenue for us.

That's exactly what I wanted to express, Charles. The decrease in paid downloads is the core problem, not cherry picking. Because that's what shutterstock thrives on. If revenue per download is up 16% and per customer is up 4%, that's because shutterstock had to spend less on contributors. But that is exactly what will not be maintained when the contributors will have reached higher levels in the second half of the year.

And, yes, of course the enormous increase of subscribers is our biggest problem.

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

That's exactly what I wanted to express, Charles. The decrease in paid downloads is the core problem, not cherry picking. Because that's what shutterstock thrives on. If revenue per download is up 16% and per customer is up 4%, that's because shutterstock had to spend less on contributors. But that is exactly what will not be maintained when the contributors will have reached higher levels in the second half of the year.

And, yes, of course the enormous increase of subscribers is our biggest problem.

No, revenue per download doesn't take into account money spent on contributors. That would be another line item. 

"Revenue is the total amount of income generated by the sale of goods or services related to the company's primary operations. Revenue, also known simply as "sales", does not deduct any costs or expenses associated with operating the business."

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/122214/what-difference-between-revenue-and-profit.asp#:~:text=Key Takeaways-,Revenue is the total amount of income generated by the,associated with operating the business.

17 minutes ago, stevemart said:

All I can say is, "Color me surprised by this!"

NickPic130 2021-04-27, 18_39_54.jpg

That movement will be based on where investors see the stock going in the next few months. It is quite common to see stocks give up some ground even after reporting good results. However, worth considering that the stock has more than doubled in value in the past year (look at the 52 week low) and it is trading pretty much within the analyst expectations. If I owned the stock (I don't), I would be in 'hold' mode.

36 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

No, revenue per download doesn't take into account money spent on contributors. That would be another line item. 

"Revenue is the total amount of income generated by the sale of goods or services related to the company's primary operations. Revenue, also known simply as "sales", does not deduct any costs or expenses associated with operating the business."

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/122214/what-difference-between-revenue-and-profit.asp#:~:text=Key Takeaways-,Revenue is the total amount of income generated by the,associated with operating the business.

I have problems to follow, Charles. If revenue is "sales", then we would talk about sales per download?

My interpretation is:

Revenue is buying a product for price x and selling it for price y - which is the primary operation. Afterwards you have to deduct the costs for rent, energy, soft & hardware etc. But I might be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I have problems to follow, Charles. If revenue is "sales", then we would talk about sales per download?

My interpretation is:

Revenue is buying a product for price x and selling it for price y - which is the primary operation. Afterwards you have to deduct the costs for rent, energy, soft & hardware etc. But I might be wrong.

Exactly! Costs - which include royalties paid to contributors - are not included in revenue. So revenue per download is the gross amount before any costs are deducted.

9 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

Exactly! Costs - which include royalties paid to contributors - are not included in revenue. So revenue per download is the gross amount before any costs are deducted.

But how can you increase revenue per sale (download) without making the product more expensive? 

1 minute ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

But how can you increase revenue per sale (download) without making the product more expensive? 

Maybe they did in select markets. Or maybe they sold a different mix of downloads for a higher price. I don't follow SS that closely to know. 

12 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

Maybe they did in select markets. Or maybe they sold a different mix of downloads for a higher price. I don't follow SS that closely to know. 

I don't know either. They say: Revenue per download is the amount of content-related revenue recognized in a given period divided by the number of paid downloads in that period excluding revenue from custom content and the impact of revenue that is not derived from or associated with content licenses.