Wow two week days Thursday and Friday New York time and not a single sale on Shutterstock (and elsewhere  for that matter). So it's a definite EOTW slump there, after having the usual BOTW slump and while I didn't have a MOTW slump it was pretty underwhelming (though did have a sale on P5). I just hope this is not part of a broader MOTM slump which I also had last month in March, followed by the month before that, which incidentally was a WOTM slump. Slumps are out of control! 😜  

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a pretty dismal month, I've woken up to find that I've sold 5 images at $137... each! Great start to the day!!

I had that yesterday.  I sold 2 photos.  Not sure I can cope with that sort of excitement too often.

The time of miracles is not over yet ...    

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Pavel Rumlena said:

Well, of course, peanuts, everyone loves peanuts and that gives us motivation. Subs for $0,10, SOD for $0,36, ODD for $1,08, 4k videos for $0,30-$2.97 etc... Peanuts here and peanuts there, who doesn't like peanuts! Peanuts can pay bills, models and studios. You can buy and maintain equipment for them and you can even eat them. Everyone is satisfied and loves peanuts! Peanuts are our second holy grail and divine ambrosia! 

5 hours ago, stevemart said:

I hate peanuts and refuse to upload any more for such reward. Also spares me the pain of and fretting about inconsistent, nonsensical rejections. Fortunately, I have a couple of clients that still regard professional photography as something that needs to be paid for at a rate that rewards time and skill and pays sufficiently to allow investment in new equipment which stock photography no longer does.

You guys usually report good sales or at least good in these times. Things starting to go downhill? I ask because this year 2021 has been a clear and sustained drop for me compared to last year 2020 (as my charts show) even while the port has increased. 

15 hours ago, Pavel Rumlena said:

Well, of course, peanuts, everyone loves peanuts and that gives us motivation. Subs for $0,10, SOD for $0,36, ODD for $1,08, 4k videos for $0,30-$2.97 etc... Peanuts here and peanuts there, who doesn't like peanuts! Peanuts can pay bills, models and studios. You can buy and maintain equipment for them and you can even eat them. Everyone is satisfied and loves peanuts! Peanuts are our second holy grail and divine ambrosia! 

I have come across such acronyms on this forum before. Please forgive my ignorance, what do these stand for: SOD, ODD and do on.

21 minutes ago, Nishi Sharma said:

I have come across such acronyms on this forum before. Please forgive my ignorance, what do these stand for: SOD, ODD and do on.

SOD = Single and Other Download

ODD = On Demand Download

See image below of these payments highlighted in red box from the earnings summary page you can find on your Shutterstock Contributor account.

Hope this helps.

image.thumb.png.6c58da91b3b18e0b6c77f7b2cec117d6.png

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

SOD = Single and Other Download

ODD = On Demand Download

See image below of these payments highlighted in red box from the earnings summary page you can find on your Shutterstock Contributor account.

Hope this helps.

image.thumb.png.6c58da91b3b18e0b6c77f7b2cec117d6.png

Thanks Steven. That's helpful.

3 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

You guys usually report good sales or at least good in these times. Things starting to go downhill? I ask because this year 2021 has been a clear and sustained drop for me compared to last year 2020 (as my charts show) even while the port has increased. 

Things started going downhill for me in 2018 because of the huge increase in contributors (15-fold increase in a couple of years) and almost exponential increase in weekly uploads after SS 'relaxed' the requirements for entry. It was then that I noticed that almost everything new that I uploaded got no traction. In the past, you uploaded some images to any popular category and you saw that those images would stay on the first page of 'New' for a couple of days. This gave those images a chance to be seen by potential customers looking for something they didn't find in 'Popular'. With the huge influx of new images, now, new images are gone from the first page of new in a matter of hours and after a couple of days will end up beyond page 5 of 'New': never to be seen again. For me it became more like a lottery than a business and I uploaded very little in 2018 and even less in 2019. I think I uploaded maybe 15 new images in 2020 before the announcement of the June changes.

Downloads remain fairly constant at 160-200/month for the last 24 months. Monthly greenery is now purely determined by big SODs and ELs as income from subs has been cut in half (was $0.38 and is now around <$0.19). Any spikes in monthly income are due entirely to having had some sizeable SOD(s). ODDs are now few and far between but average out at about the same value per ODD as I was getting before June 2020 ($2.85).

Until 24 months ago, I could maintain my payout level at $100 which I hadn't adjusted down since I started in 2012. As you can see from the 12 month chart, the spikes from SODs and ELs are regular enough to keep me hanging in but insufficient for me to regard this as any more than a little monthly top up of my pension (for which I also do not have to work).

NickPic134 2021-04-17, 12_32_07.jpg

18 minutes ago, stevemart said:

Any spikes in monthly income are due entirely to having had some sizeable SOD(s). ODDs are now few and far between but average out at about the same value per ODD as I was getting before June 2020 ($2.85).

Your story confirms that the number of pixels is not very important for buyers. You have a lot of low-resolution photos and people have been buying from you for a long time, SOD and ODD are constantly appearing.

1 hour ago, Tim photo-video said:

Your story confirms that the number of pixels is not very important for buyers. You have a lot of low-resolution photos and people have been buying from you for a long time, SOD and ODD are constantly appearing.

Yep! Most of my bestsellers were taken in 2012/2013 with a Nikon D80 or D90. The only big seller taken with my first full-frame Nikon D600(24Mp) is the 'old books' photo. A few of my big sellers in the past were even shots taken on slide film (35mm and 4x5") and copied with the D80.

7 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Well, for me, it's a very scary roller coaster since May 2020. Almost non-existent SOD, ODD, EL, and if they happen to come, they usually bring only sadness instead of an encouraging reward. Overall, it now resembles a lottery rather than a stable income:

2020-2021.jpg.9d1f0d5c13477a7bc9c4375e54e00502.jpg

4 minutes ago, Pavel Rumlena said:

Well, for me, it's a very scary roller coaster since May 2020. Almost non-existent SOD, ODD, EL, and if they happen to come, they usually bring only sadness instead of an encouraging reward. Overall, it now resembles a lottery rather than a stable income:

2020-2021.jpg.9d1f0d5c13477a7bc9c4375e54e00502.jpg

Yeah that's very erratic results and I bet the ups and downs represent big earnings differences. Is that darker blue for March videos or  referrals?

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

@stevemartinteresting information, you still seem to be doing pretty good all things considered.  👍

Yes, you're right and I shouldn't really complain. Compared to the good-old days (2014/15/16) when I had around 500-600 images income is now down by around 2/3rds and in those days I was motivated to do my best and upload what I would consider 'commercial' images. Without that motivation of reward for effort, I've really just been messing about for the last couple of years. All a bit 'artyfarty and abstract' of no real value as stock! I think I need a purpose to shoot for! Need to be careful that I don't go really stale as I still have to do a couple of commercial jobs every year and when you work for money, the clients expect a good performance! 🙂

3 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Yeah that's very erratic results and I bet the ups and downs represent big earnings differences. Is that darker blue for March videos or  referrals?

That darker blue is for videos. I only have a few here, so they hardly sell. I have better results with video on P5 and AS.

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

This is a new one.  Multi-asset subscription packages.  I imagine it'll be the usual 10 cents for photo contributors but I wonder if this will affect video contributors adversely

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/introducing-shutterstock-flex-subscriptions

The competitor responded with a comparable offer, Deb.
In the medium to long term, this means that microstock has had its day as a model for earning money.

11 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Pavlovsky did say its his goal to move everything to a subscription.

Looks like he's determined to drive it, microstock and the company into the ground in doing so.

I've had a great day - i've earned a massive 16 cents.

Got'cha!!! 36 Cents! Yeah!!!

8 hours ago, David Calvert said:

After a pretty dismal month, I've woken up to find that I've sold 5 images at $137... each! Great start to the day!!

Nice.  I had to double check to see if this was the SS or Alamy forum.

The latter usually does very well for me, but this month is at half of SS, which is half of AS.