• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a pretty dismal month, I've woken up to find that I've sold 5 images at $137... each! Great start to the day!!

The time of miracles is not over yet ...    

I had that yesterday.  I sold 2 photos.  Not sure I can cope with that sort of excitement too often.

Posted Images

20 hours ago, David Calvert said:

April has been rubbish for me. I'm way down on last month. On the plus side, I've managed to get to level 3 with less than 600 images in my port, which I think is quite good. Pond 5 has been bad too. Not a single download for a month.

I am fairly new to stock videos and have only 144 clips on SS and P5 so far. I had a couple of downloads in Feb-March but nothing in April so far. Not one download at Pond5 so far.

On 4/13/2021 at 9:23 AM, David Calvert said:

April has been rubbish for me. I'm way down on last month. On the plus side, I've managed to get to level 3 with less than 600 images in my port, which I think is quite good. Pond 5 has been bad too. Not a single download for a month.

I’m a bit jealous. My port isn’t that large (about 678 photos) and I think it’ll be a while before I get to level 2 or 3. Hopefully as I think more about what’s unique about where I live and figure out what hasn’t been uploaded to death I can change that... Hopefully my newer photos look less like “snapshots”, as someone once described them (or at least that some of my photos looked as such).

Also reminds me of the “discussions” about what’s important, quantity or quality. Just goes to show, it’s perhaps a bit of both. Like I’ve told “newbies” - a small port with well exposed, well composed photos will outsell a much larger port with underexposed, poorly executed photos. Of course there are likely a number of ports that are somewhere in between....

Nice port, by the way!

28 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

I think my port is probably shut down by the algorithm. No sales on Monday and today. Hasn't happened in over 6 months. I mean, this month's been so bad on SS that I've made more money on DT than I have here.

According to the probability calculation, this must sometimes occur. 🙂 I had the same feeling with all that 0.10

I have a reasonable size selection of stills but I haven't bothered to upload these on SS due to the amount of work goes in to writing description and keyboarding them for return in just a few cents each.

What motivates you to spend all that time for little revenue? Just curious. 

6 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Laydeez and Gentlemenz

Welcome to my brand new chart! The new chart shows both image and video sales on Shutterstock since starting in February 2019. Hope you like. 👌

image.png.4b952b2f8062ee59dc188d10a09d5fc4.png

Steven, thanks for sharing your chart. I have started in 2019 too. 

My chart would look very different from yours. With growing portfiolio I have since then a continuous increase in downloads until now 400 DL/month.

Interim result April

Just 5 hours more, then April is half over.
So far this month, shutterstock is ahead. Several bigger SODs – the highest of them for $77 – and Enhanced downloads were there. In this respect, April is currently much better than the comparable period last year.
At the competitor, I also had some higher special revenues, so that after half of the month I have already earned more than in the entire month of April 2020 (which was admittedly by far my worst month there ever).

April_2021.jpg

Had a sale today that I took a closer look at and discovered that the searching customer gets to see this:

Subscription package recommendations of which, according to SS, the 10dl's/month for $2.90 per shot is the most popular. I wish cos then I'd be getting $0.87/dl instead of the usual $0.10.

NickPic128 2021-04-16, 02_17_16.jpg

7 hours ago, Former_Poster said:

I wonder how much we get *if anything* if they get it on the free trial...

Presumably 10 cents which is presumably why we get so many 10 centers! This sale came in at 12 cents to me which means that it was purchased from a bigger package.

A quick read of the buyer FB groups and Trustpilot seems to show a lot of "customers" sign up to a free trial, take what they want and never have any intention of being a paying customer.

Good luck enforcing licence usage with those people too...

23 hours ago, Nishi Sharma said:

What motivates you to spend all that time for little revenue? Just curious. 

Well, of course, peanuts, everyone loves peanuts and that gives us motivation. Subs for $0,10, SOD for $0,36, ODD for $1,08, 4k videos for $0,30-$2.97 etc... Peanuts here and peanuts there, who doesn't like peanuts! Peanuts can pay bills, models and studios. You can buy and maintain equipment for them and you can even eat them. Everyone is satisfied and loves peanuts! Peanuts are our second holy grail and divine ambrosia! 

48 minutes ago, Pavel Rumlena said:

Well, of course, peanuts, everyone loves peanuts and that gives us motivation. Subs for $0,10, SOD for $0,36, ODD for $1,08, 4k videos for $0,30-$2.97 etc... Peanuts here and peanuts there, who doesn't like peanuts! Peanuts can pay bills, models and studios. You can buy and maintain equipment for them and you can even eat them. Everyone is satisfied and loves peanuts! Peanuts are our second holy grail and divine ambrosia! 

Monkey.jpg

4 hours ago, Pavel Rumlena said:

Ha ha.. Very convincing answer. 🙂

I hate peanuts and refuse to upload any more for such reward. Also spares me the pain of and fretting about inconsistent, nonsensical rejections. Fortunately, I have a couple of clients that still regard professional photography as something that needs to be paid for at a rate that rewards time and skill and pays sufficiently to allow investment in new equipment which stock photography no longer does.