Hi,

I recently started uploading photos with model releases. I have a model release which I use for all agencies and send in some photos a while ago to see if it was accepted at the various agencies. At the time all agencies accepted the release with several photos. However, today I have send a new batch of photos and videos of which two (out of ten) photos have been accepted and 0 videos (at two different agencies). Which leaves me a little confused..

So I would like to ask if someone could help me by looking at my model release or sending an example?

Many thanks in advance!

Lots of things can go wrong with releases, but as two images where accepted I'll presume the release was filled in correctly (though they could have been a reviewer mistake). That narrows things down and my best guess would be a conflict with release dates and metadata. In the past you could fill out a model release and use it on any images/videos with that model in them. Increasingly the shoot date on the release and the shoot date on the metadata need to match. Some agencies are stricter on this than others. 
If the images and footage where all taken on the same day and match the shoot date on the release the issue will be elsewhere, but say you took them over a weekend and then used one release that could well be the problem.

Double check with the SS release requirements and make sure everything is exactly as they request. Give a full description of the shoot and use full names not initials, these sorts of small things can trip you up. Make sure you have a release for everyone in the image/footage.

Also if you are using a third party to upload and submit content (such as StockSubmitter) and you name your release the same as a previous one they will default to the previous one and not the new one. This was the latest thing that caught me out!

The issue is probably something simple, it's just a case of a bit of detective work to find out what it is. Go through everything with a fine tooth comb.

5 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Sounds strange. Are you sure it’s the model release causing the rejections ..? Is it the same models on stills and video ..?

The rejection reason is "invalid model release" on two different agencies. Because it's the same on two agencies I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong with the model release. Yes, it's the same model on stills and videos, same shoot. Those two images have been accepted:

side-view-beautiful-woman-arms-600w-1947

woman-standing-on-wooden-bridge-260nw-19

3 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

Lots of things can go wrong with releases, but as two images where accepted I'll presume the release was filled in correctly (though they could have been a reviewer mistake). That narrows things down and my best guess would be a conflict with release dates and metadata. In the past you could fill out a model release and use it on any images/videos with that model in them. Increasingly the shoot date on the release and the shoot date on the metadata need to match. Some agencies are stricter on this than others. Double check with the SS release requirements and make sure everything is exactly as they request. Give a full description of the shoot and use full names not initials, these sorts of small things can trip you up. Make sure you have a release for everyone in the image/footage.

Also if you are using a third party to upload and submit content (such as StockSubmitter) and you name your release the same as a previous one they will default to the previous one and not the new one. This was the latest thing that caught me out!

The issue is probably something simple, it's just a case of a bit of detective work to find out what it is.

Release data and metadata is the same (Just checked it again), I asked them to sign on the same day as the shoot. They used their full names, I don't use third party software and the release is only for one person (the only persone in the footage). So that should not be a problem either.. 

The release is in spanish but that should not be a problem as I already used this release before. Someone knows if a different language could cause problems? 

Give a full description of the shoot

My description of the shoot is: Photo's taken on a forest trail
This might be too short? Would this be okay: "Photo's and videos taken in a forest on a trail next to and in a river with one female model."?

Go through everything with a fine tooth comb.

I guess that's what I will be doing today

Linda and Oleschwander, thank you for helping me!

It can be a real pain trying to find what the problem is, because it's often something you wouldn't expect. 
I think the shoot description could still be improved. They know it's for photo's/footage no need to mention that. I'd focus on the setting, the model/s, and any concept/reason for the shoot. Something along the lines of "Young Spanish woman interacting with nature in a forest setting." You have to be vague enough to cover the whole shoot but detailed enough that it describes this shoot and not another one. (Sorry if she isn't Spanish! I'm just making it up as an example 😉)

The model looks young. Check the age for an adult release is OK. Could be that they want a minor release? Probably not but just a thought. 

Good luck!

21 minutes ago, Linda Bestwick said:

It can be a real pain trying to find what the problem is, because it's often something you wouldn't expect. 
I think the shoot description could still be improved. They know it's for photo's/footage no need to mention that. I'd focus on the setting, the model/s, and any concept/reason for the shoot. Something along the lines of "Young Spanish woman interacting with nature in a forest setting." You have to be vague enough to cover the whole shoot but detailed enough that it describes this shoot and not another one. (Sorry if she isn't Spanish! I'm just making it up as an example 😉)

The model looks young. Check the age for an adult release is OK. Could be that they want a minor release? Probably not but just a thought. 

Good luck!

She is minor indeed but I've got a minor release (and she is indeed spanish so no worries). I am going to try to change the shoot description and hand it in again, if it doesn't work I think I just get a new model release, hope it's worth the hassle :)

16 hours ago, Panga Media said:

She is minor indeed but I've got a minor release (and she is indeed spanish so no worries). I am going to try to change the shoot description and hand it in again, if it doesn't work I think I just get a new model release, hope it's worth the hassle :)

Worth the hassle? That is the question! :) 

If they fail again after any changes I'd suggest contacting support (via your dashboard). Whether they are helpful or not sometimes requires 
persistence, but at least they can look at the release securely.
I would be happy to look at it but I don't understand Spanish so I'm not any help for that.

If you discover the reason it's been rejected, do let us know. It might help someone else 👍