Every single photo I upload with selective focus is rejected

On 4/7/2021 at 8:03 AM, Jingwen Li said:

My painting was also rejected because it can’t distinguish between stains and the ink effect of the painting.

青龙小.jpg

I have had similar troubles a few times, but only with closeup shots.  I believe that in my case the problem was that  the grain of the watercolour paper when seen in closeup looked like the artifacts that result from oversharpening.  I resubmitted with this explanation given and the images were accepted.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So the Shutterstock contributor AI algorithm for accepting/rejecting images is entirely broken. I can't upload a single photo shot in f/5 or wider without getting rejected for "noise." Basically anyth

Time for us to selectively choose better / more suitable agencies to upload our work

Agree. I think Shutterstock has completely lost control of its review process. It's pathetic really.

Posted Images

On 31.03.2021 at 16:34, Diane Diederich said:

У меня такая же проблема с любым изображением с выборочной фокусировкой. Все отклоняются для фокусировки, когда фактический основной объект слишком резкий. Я перестал загружать сюда.

I'm more of an amateur than a professional. But your quote has an answer for me as well. The reasons for some deviations in the photographs became clear. I shoot with high magnification. The structure of the material becomes visible: plastic or plasticine. What can be perceived as noise.

I think this is funny. I left some dandelions in the lawn for the insects. I took two photos in close succession.
One of a European honey bee (Apis mellifera) accepted by SS and rejected by AS. 
Then from a red mason bee (Osmia rufa, Osmia bicornis).rejected by SS and accepted by AS.

Are they both on a Stocksite. 😁

stock-photo-close-up-western-honey-bee-or-european-honey-bee-apis-mellifera-family-apidae-on-a-flower-of-1955839249.jpg

AdobeStock_427691742_Preview.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bird022 said:

I posted 12 pictures yesterday, all rejected.

Staying at Shutterstock i creating more and more stress for me.

Terrible criteria.

Yes, that's annoying. Maybe you should show some examples. I know, no one likes to hear that here, but sometimes Shutter is right.

Since I have a new lens, keeping an eye on dark backgrounds of my makros, subbmitting similar images one by one and attaching a description where the focus is,  I don´t have much trouble anymore with rejections - unless i catch a very "special" reviewer again 😉

Focus: The main subject is out of focus or is not in focus due to camera shake, motion blur, overuse of noise reduction, or technical limitations of the equipment used (e.g. autofocus searching, camera sensor quality, etc).

Noise / Artifacts: Content contains noise, film grain, compression artifacts, pixelation, and/or posterization that detracts from the main subject.

Focus, noise? I did not process the image in any program.

Opera Snapshot_2021-04-19_133426_download.shutterstock.com.png

First, I personally would not have rejected your pictures 😉

Images taken without tripod I allways post process with topaz sharpen AI. You will see, there is an impressive difference in sharpness. In this size I can´t see any noise, mostly the sky is affected. I would slightly denoise the picture. 

The second picture, I would write "(focus on eyes of cat)" in the description. The AI (or whatever) seems to zoom into different areas of the image randomly, if several areas are out of focus (like your background), the image is rejected. 

I don´t like that too, but I am not making the rules. I hope this could help.

15 minutes ago, Ralf Liebhold said:

Images taken without tripod I allways post process with topaz sharpen AI. You will see, there is an impressive difference in sharpness. In this size I can´t see any noise, mostly the sky is affected. I would slightly denoise the picture. 

The second picture, I would write "(focus on eyes of cat)" in the description. The AI (or whatever) seems to zoom into different areas of the image randomly, if several areas are out of focus (like your background), the image is rejected. 

Hi Ralf,

I don't follow your reasoning here; if the image is being rejected by AI then I can't see how changing the description would help.  I don't believe that the AI can be that clever.

Off-topic, it's interesting to see that you favor topaz sharpen AI, I've been thinking about trying it myself. 

29 minutes ago, Ralf Liebhold said:

thank you!

22 minutes ago, clivewa said:

Hi Ralf,

I don't follow your reasoning here; if the image is being rejected by AI then I can't see how changing the description would help.  I don't believe that the AI can be that clever.

Off-topic, it's interesting to see that you favor topaz sharpen AI, I've been thinking about trying it myself. 

I really can´t explain, why it works 😉 The only thing I can tell you is that it works - the ai is a much discussed mystery.

You can try sharpen ai one month for free. It´s in my opinion the best sharpen tool on the market.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:57 AM, Chuck Wagner said:

Just curious...why were the Yorkshire terrier and the chess board submitted as editorial?

I believe they were initially rejected as commercial uploads for focus/noise. As a bit of an experiment I started uploading what was initially rejected as commercial a second time as editorial to see if the algorithm accepted them. It worked for a while but now it seems both will reject for noise on selective focus.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:23 AM, Steve Bower said:

Trevor,

I apologize, you were not asking for a critique of your images.  My comments were not solicited and I should have kept my thoughts to myself. 

However, the information provided above (especially the article on "exposing to the right") could be very helpful to all of us.  I've learned a lot from this forum over the years and it has improved my photographic skills considerably.  Hopefully, we have not stepped on any toes.  Keep up the good work! 

No worries Steve, I actually appreciate the critique. Yes oftentimes I do produce pictures a little underexposed. Its sort of a habit I've gotten into, maybe as a personal preference. I always try to make sure nothing is blown out on the histogram but it is also typically shifted lower. For example in the image below (not uploaded on SS) the histogram skews much more towards the shadows. It varies by image but I tend to prefer darker exposures for whatever reason. Maybe my monitor brightness is too high lol.

Capture.JPG

Doom Mountain 2 Watermarked compressed.jpg

Trevor,

Beautiful Shot!   I understand personal preference, I tend toward a lighter more saturated image.  I use Curves in Photoshop in order to lighten some of the darker portions of an image to give it more contrast.  But again, it's personal preference.   Keep up the good work,  Again Beautiful image!    

On 4/19/2021 at 12:36 PM, Bird022 said:

Focus: The main subject is out of focus or is not in focus due to camera shake, motion blur, overuse of noise reduction, or technical limitations of the equipment used (e.g. autofocus searching, camera sensor quality, etc).

Noise / Artifacts: Content contains noise, film grain, compression artifacts, pixelation, and/or posterization that detracts from the main subject.

Focus, noise? I did not process the image in any program.

Opera Snapshot_2021-04-19_133426_download.shutterstock.com.png

Hard to tell from a small image but the centre people don't look sharp or in focus to me

Image editing programs are often essential to prepare images for stock.....

On 4/19/2021 at 12:38 PM, Bird022 said:

another pic rejected for "focus"

Untitled.jpg

Focus is off (Cat's right eye isnt sharp.

Horribly burned out highlights (so exposure rejection too).

White balance is off as i doubt the cat is magenta.

Correct rejection

Hi, I also have the same problem, upload of 58 photos and two were rejected for Focus, another upload of 23 photos and 21 were rejected for Focus, it makes no logical sense, also because the photos are used for the subject they propose they don't have to be 100% perfectly successful. Moreover, the other agencies accept them without problems.

The bot gets confused.

I resubmitted 16 rejected for focus with no changes and all got in the next day.

Just had 23 video clips rejected for noise/artefacts whereas shots from the same batch, same settings, seconds apart all got accepted last week.

SS is a pioneer at artificial stupidity.  If they genuinely are in focus just resubmit or downsize to 6mpixel then resubmit.

It's a bit of an obstacle course and a lottery.

I submitted a batch of 16 shots all taken around the same time with the same settings. 15 were editorial and accepted first time. One was commercial and rejected for noise and focus. It has since been accepted. Right now I'm fighting with two shots taken in the early evening light and which are getting rejected for noise (ISO 100).

And all this for $0.10 subs.

Update: one of the two accepted. The other now rejected for focus. 🤔

it's completly pathetic and random.

I'm posting for 4 years on shutterstock but lately it has become a lottery to get pictures accepted where there all are accepted at getty, adobe, istock etc.

it's either focus or noise, 50-50 chance.

funny thing is that pictures eventually accepted become top sellers and shutterstock makes a lot of money with them

On 4/6/2021 at 7:53 AM, HodagMedia said:

When I get a rejection, I fall back to the same thing I did since 2008, downsize to 5MP and upload again.

Others on the forum have also mentioned downsizing to get photos approved.  But, I'm not quite sure how to export to exactly 5MP?  Is this just a Photoshop option?  Using Lightroom (sourced from my 5D mkii) my exports are usually Image sizing 5184 pixels, Resolution 300 pixels and Quality to 100.  Which one do I decrease and to what value to achieve 5MP?   Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Elliott Cowand Jr said:

Others on the forum have also mentioned downsizing to get photos approved.  But, I'm not quite sure how to export to exactly 5MP?  Is this just a Photoshop option?  Using Lightroom (sourced from my 5D mkii) my exports are usually Image sizing 5184 pixels, Resolution 300 pixels and Quality to 100.  Which one do I decrease and to what value to achieve 5MP?   Thanks.

I don't know about 5MP. Downsizing just the quality of an image to reduce issues while keeping the dimensions doesn't seem logical to me, as the lesser the quality, the more problems like artifacts become visible.
I usually downsize pixel size and keep quality at 100. 2500pixel on the longest side is the minimum Shutterstock will accept. If you submit to multiple agencies 2500 pixel works for all other agencies expect for Alamy. There I need at least 3000 pixel.