Calling all illustrators - get rich ..! Quick!

Beeple has a S6 store https://society6.com/beeple selling his physical poster, art prints and canvas prints that you can hold with your hands or hang in the wall, with a much more "down-to-earth" price tag.

As much as I like to see digital art selling at Christie's with astronomical price for fellow illustrators with him being the poster child on that front, at this point of time, I think NFT art is at it's very sink or swim stage.

1 hour ago, chyworks said:

Beeple has a S6 store https://society6.com/beeple selling his physical poster, art prints and canvas prints that you can hold with your hands or hang in the wall, with a much more "down-to-earth" price tag.

As much as I like to see digital art selling at Christie's with astronomical price for fellow illustrators with him being the poster child on that front, at this point of time, I think NFT art is at it's very sink or swim stage.

Trendy

Beeple does nice, creative, interesting,  work, don't get me wrong.

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

Trendy

Beeple does nice, creative, interesting,  work, don't get me wrong.

Yep. Good stuff.

I think this whole NFT stuff was thought up by people originally in finance. Wall Street  lives on 'gas' money ....a smallish percentage take on everything that's bought and sold so why not apply it to the art market. Why should the auction houses get to keep all their commissions! There's been a move to monetize blockchain technology outside the cryptocurrencies for a while and this seems a good way to do it (for them for the time being anyway!) 🙃

On 3/22/2021 at 9:31 AM, stevemart said:

Yep. Good stuff.

I think this whole NFT stuff was thought up by people originally in finance. Wall Street  lives on 'gas' money ....a smallish percentage take on everything that's bought and sold so why not apply it to the art market. Why should the auction houses get to keep all their commissions! There's been a move to monetize blockchain technology outside the cryptocurrencies for a while and this seems a good way to do it (for them for the time being anyway!) 🙃

When someone sells their first ever Tweet at auction, NFT and gets - "The first tweet created for the Twitter platform by founder Jack Dorsey was sold at auction as a non-fungible token for $2.9 million", we know this is a farce.

On 3/22/2021 at 10:33 AM, oleschwander said:

Most illustrations here at SS are as good - or better - than the ones at the NFT auctions ...! 👍🥳

That isn't the point! None of this is actually about skills or quality.

If I can sell a stick man drawing for thousands because I am the one who drew it, that's where this NFT art has gone to market. On the other hand, Beeple does do some nice creative work along with the absurd prices people pay for it. It's not as if he was a total media hyped trendy kind of a thing. Andy Warhol comes to mind, but some will disagree. I like Jackson Pollock's works, some other people will think I'm crazy.

Art and fashion, like music and some others, are very pop and trendy. We see the ones who made it over time, but others come and go, never to be seen or heard of again, except in history of modern short term wonders. (or has-beens in the news) Hey, remember Tiny Tim and his wedding on the Tonight Show, to Miss Vicky? Some of the current NFTs will be just as anonymous in less than 50 years, like those two examples.

18 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

When someone sells their first ever Tweet at auction, NFT and gets - "The first tweet created for the Twitter platform by founder Jack Dorsey was sold at auction as a non-fungible token for $2.9 million", we know this is a farce.

That isn't the point! None of this is actually about skills or quality.

If I can sell a stick man drawing for thousands because I am the one who drew it, that's where this NFT art has gone to market. On the other hand, Beeple does do some nice creative work along with the absurd prices people pay for it. It's not as if he was a total media hyped trendy kind of a thing. Andy Warhol comes to mind, but some will disagree. I like Jackson Pollock's works, some other people will think I'm crazy.

Art and fashion, like music and some others, are very pop and trendy. We see the ones who made it over time, but others come and go, never to be seen or heard of again, except in history of modern short term wonders. (or has-beens in the news) Hey, remember Tiny Tim and his wedding on the Tonight Show, to Miss Vicky? Some of the current NFTs will be just as anonymous in less than 50 years, like those two examples.

Like most stuff on Wall Street, this too is based on the 'Greater Fool' theory of 'investment'. Dunno what happens to all these NFTs if we get a Carrington Event 2.0. At least all the non-virtual work will survive....and I love Jack the Dripper's work too!

Yippee...passed the 500dls mark today and am back to my real pre-ripoff percentage again. Once more, the future is sooo bright I need my shades.😁 👓

18 hours ago, oleschwander said:

Exactly.

Thanks for understand. Kind of like when some of mine sell and I ask "why did someone buy that?" 😁 But something I like or I think is actually decent, just sits.

1 hour ago, stevemart said:

Like most stuff on Wall Street, this too is based on the 'Greater Fool' theory of 'investment'. Dunno what happens to all these NFTs if we get a Carrington Event 2.0. At least all the non-virtual work will survive....and I love Jack the Dripper's work too!

Yippee...passed the 500dls mark today and am back to my real pre-ripoff percentage again. Once more, the future is sooo bright I need my shades.😁 👓

I like the more recent deeper analysis of Pollock, how he was doing fractals before computers. WTF do people sit around sipping wine, eating fruit and cheese and invent this stuff in their spare time? Way back, I think it was my first art history course in college, the instructor said, he painted little purses and strange objects, hidden in his paintings, so some day a critic could find them and come up with a deep meaning and analysis. (after turning to a Psych major, I'm sure that analysis would be something about his Mother?)

Jackson Pollock to me, is pleasing to the eye, nothing deeper.

John Lennon said he noticed people were trying to analyze the song lyrics and was amused. He decided to write a song that would be very hard to analyze.  I Am The Walrus. Anyone who looks at Lennon's lyrics can find humorous phrases, but the "deep thinkers" see something else. Semolina Pilchard was at reference to Detective Sergeant Norman Pilcher, yet you will find people explaining Semolina Flour and what it means. Children's nursery rhymes in there, and bits of Lewis Carrol which others are determined to conclude, this was Lennon's take on Through the Looking Glass. When asked... "Lennon: The words didn’t mean a lot. People draw so many conclusions, and it’s ridiculous."

So some fancy wealthy people will buy art just so they can own the name of the artist, (to name drop, when they point to it hanging on their wall) not necessarily the quality of the work itself. Sure I'd buy a Jackson Pollock, because I liked it. But then what? Oh of course invite people over for cocktails and Hors D'oeuvre so I could say... "oh yes, I own an original Jackson Pollock." Whoopee, bragging rights.

Good going on the level up to 30%. My YTD would be depressing if I was someone who cared. Funny thing, I never would have expected, SS is double the number of downloads of AS, but AS has made more money. The already weak motivation to produce images, is dwindling. 🥺

20 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

Jackson Pollock to me, is pleasing to the eye, nothing deeper.

Exactly. It's funny that if I look at one of Pollock's 'cycling' works I see something pleasing to the eye because it 'fits'....it's got that certain something that makes it 'pleasing' even if you can't define what it is.  And if you see other  'artists' trying to imitate his style in their work, their attempts often don't work to give that same pleasing effect. S'pose that's what makes it art!

1 hour ago, stevemart said:

Exactly. It's funny that if I look at one of Pollock's 'cycling' works I see something pleasing to the eye because it 'fits'....it's got that certain something that makes it 'pleasing' even if you can't define what it is.  And if you see other  'artists' trying to imitate his style in their work, their attempts often don't work to give that same pleasing effect. S'pose that's what makes it art!

Oh I didn't know people tried to imitate him. But I suppose that's natural. Someone does something different and it's marketable, so they want to copy it, instead of going off in their own direction. That would never happen in Microstock, would it? 🙄

Maybe someone can tell me why Piet Mondrian is famous? Since the first time I saw one of his works, I said, a bunch of lines and rectangles, colored in? I know now it was also primary colors as well. Like one of those joke images in a movie, or cartoon, where there's a solid black circle up in the corner of a canvas. And then people go on about what it represents. Sorry too much deep thinking for me.

Duct Tape a banana on a wall. There's another one that's recent. $120,000 Artist says: ‘The banana is supposed to be a banana.’ 

What's wrong with us? We should be making one of a kind photos and sticking a price on them like $50,000. It only takes one sale a year? 😎

Piet Mondriaan's colored in rectangles were probably just innovative at the time, so it got noticed. I've shot a couple of his watercolors made before his colored rectangles work for a museum archive and they were rather drab, ordinary and unremarkable Dutch landscapes with windmills and canals! Like many celebs & artists there's always a bit of luck and serendipity involved at some point in their lives (along with talent). As for bananas stuck to walls....I don't geddit either. Whilst art can break your heart....it's kitsch that makes you rich! 😁