Hi everyone,

recently I found out my image was used (incorporated into artwork of another person).
This person published announce on his Instagram that he is going to sell his artwork as NFT (cryptoart).
The problem is half of "his" artwork is my 3d illustration.
Btw, he got my image on Shutterstock by Standard License and has no idea what is allowed according to this license.
He thinks that selling NFT is equal to unlimited web distribution  (that was the text he saw near to my image when he was buying) and to his mind it doesn't require anything other than a Standard License.

To Shutterstock ADMINS @Kate Shutterstock @Alex Shutterstock >> 
 I guess a lot of customers don't understand licensing terms. OR just can't find them. All the time I talk to people who use my images commercially and they have no idea that there are different types of licenses. May be you can add some BIG RED WARNING about licenses?
2.  Will there be any changes to image licensing considering this new type of using images for NFT ?

To my colleagues contributors  >>  Have you already faced this problem?

• wacomka changed the title to LICENSING: NFT / cryptoart

Hi wacomka,

Do you want to stop him from selling your illustration as a NFT cryptoart?. Reading your post I am not sure if that is your objective if it is I suggest talk to him on Instagram over the matter, explain that the background of the file is your copyright, and he is using it without permission. The least this will do is give substance to your claim that he is doing the wrong thing by the license(If it is covered). It helps to have a paper trail of how you have tried to protect your rights, including what you have done about it. I am sure SS will give you an answer regarding the matter,😴

This kind of precedent is going to be a nightmare for contributors. This was posted a few days ago on SS.  https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/nfts-monetize-your-photos

On 3/24/2021 at 1:51 AM, Traudl said:

Let us know please how it ended. This is not the first time I hear about copyright issues in NFT world. It seems like only few create art from scratch. Many times it's incorporating other people stuff in their pieces.

I thought, it's ok for them somehow to use 3d models they bought for their renders. Looks dirty for me, but I understand why it can be acceptable. You need to add a lot of work to 3D model to make an artistic scene with it. It's like a photography, when you have a real objects you don't own and photographer's work you did around it.

But using stock backgrounds and footages? It is definitely not what their buyers want to pay for. Imagine you paid a few thousands for an original one-of-a-kind art piece and the next day see it in local grocery's ad.

By the way, I have a little insider info for you. Do you know how they check the authenticity of the provided works? They ask for a hi-res! Not a wireframe screenshot, not a different angle pre-render - a hi-res! And it's a curated marketplace with huge bids.