45 minutes ago, HodagMedia said:

Good points, they are different, and from my experience also a bit more strict. I have had images pass here that were rejected on AS. Of course more people have also had images approved on AS that were rejected here. About that second time. Most of the time, if I get a rejection on SS I don't care enough to upload again. I suppose some people have shown, that re-uploading can work.

AS when I have had a rejection and I looked very carefully, I can see why they might have found a flaw. I have uploaded a second time, but only after I corrected the image. What I'm getting at is this, the rejections from AS are more likely to be reasonable. And until something changes, every image is viewed by a human! A couple years ago that was true here, now the Machine Learning has taken over, as it was trained by those humans. Then some programmer decided how to read sharpness and contrast and who knows what else, and let the machine reject or accept on whether the image falls within the set limits.

AS takes things that SS doesn't. SS takes things that AS doesn't. Different files and types of images, have different results between the two. The customer base I propose is different, as CC people are different than Subscription image people.

My current philosophy is: How much work do I want to do, for a dime? If they reject an image, I'm really not that concerned. Being accepted is only the third step on the way to a sale, uploading makes no money and costs money and time.

1) Shoot

2) Edit

3) Upload

4) Wait

(Note: the 4th step is not sales it's just watching.) 😁

5) Success, sales and downloads 👍

6) Get paid

Thanks Pete.
When I hear this, nobody uploads a photo unaltered again at AS. 🙂
So neither do I.

On 3/18/2021 at 8:17 PM, Thijs de Graaf said:

never upload the photos a second time at AS. Does anyone have experiences with that?

yes I just move on and usually then to DT and P5 but haven't uploaded here since rate change as too many noise and focus suddenly and not got time or enthusiasm to keep uploading. Not been on the other sites long but made some sales that make up so far the loss here though ...

2 hours ago, HodagMedia said:

AS when I have had a rejection and I looked very carefully, I can see why they might have found a flaw. I have uploaded a second time, but only after I corrected the image. What I'm getting at is this, the rejections from AS are more likely to be reasonable.

How about the famous rejected for "aesthetic or commercial appeal"? How reasonable is that? Many of my images of construction sites were rejected for this reason on AS while they are bestsellers on SS and others.

I know it happens very often that what sells at one agency, not necessarily will sell at the other but "aesthetic appeal"? Oh please, that sounds like "I don't like the color of your eyes".

What I am getting of this is that they haven't clarified yet the meaning of commercial value.

15 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

How about the famous rejected for "aesthetic or commercial appeal"? How reasonable is that? Many of my images of construction sites were rejected for this reason on AS while they are bestsellers on SS and others.

I know it happens very often that what sells at one agency, not necessarily will sell at the other but "aesthetic appeal"? Oh please, that sounds like "I don't like the color of your eyes".

What I am getting of this is that they haven't clarified yet the meaning of commercial value.

I have had one or two like that. Quote: "Thanks for giving us the chance to consider your image. Unfortunately, we found that it doesn't meet our needs so we can't accept it into our collection." Which I'm positive comes from a human, and maybe parts of that are subjective? But they are also following guidelines set by the company.

There are technical issues and a classic "Unfortunately, during our review we found that it's either over- or under-exposed, so we can't accept it into our collection." So what's the secret? Which was it? :wacko: Focus, artifacts, and the same images often get accepted her or others.

In the end, here or there or somewhere else, or Adobe, they get to pick and choose. And even though we have a different opinion, and it's our work and creative concept... they own the site and can take or reject anything they wish.

If I was getting $100 a download, I'd care, but getting under a dollar most of the time on most sites, I can't be concerned.

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

I have had one or two like that. Quote: "Thanks for giving us the chance to consider your image. Unfortunately, we found that it doesn't meet our needs so we can't accept it into our collection." Which I'm positive comes from a human, and maybe parts of that are subjective? But they are also following guidelines set by the company.

There are technical issues and a classic "Unfortunately, during our review we found that it's either over- or under-exposed, so we can't accept it into our collection." So what's the secret? Which was it? :wacko: Focus, artifacts, and the same images often get accepted her or others.

In the end, here or there or somewhere else, or Adobe, they get to pick and choose. And even though we have a different opinion, and it's our work and creative concept... they own the site and can take or reject anything they wish.

If I was getting $100 a download, I'd care, but getting under a dollar most of the time on most sites, I can't be concerned.

I was not talking about rejections for technical reasons or the ones you brought up.

I really don't care whether it is a human or AI who rejects it if the the reason is bogus:

Thanks for giving us the chance to consider your image. Unfortunately, during our review we found that it doesn't have the aesthetic or commercial appeal we're looking for, so we can't accept it into our collection.

This was a long time ago, maybe they are not doing it now.

And yes, you are right, it is their site and they can do what they want.

4 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

I was not talking about rejections for technical reasons or the ones you brought up.

I really don't care whether it is a human or AI who rejects it if the the reason is bogus:

This was a long time ago, maybe they are not doing it now.

And yes, you are right, it is their site and they can do what they want.

Maybe my rejection was the new version of the same? 😉  "Unfortunately, during our review we found that it doesn't have the aesthetic or commercial appeal we're looking for, so we can't accept it into our collection. " is as good as Low Commercial Value. 

FT once I appealed and they sent the question to the actual reviewer, which to my surprise, she wrote a message to me, "These don't sell well" which was pretty much the same as saying, end of discussion.

Weeks and maybe months prior other reviewers had accepted similar subjects and images. This one just gave them all a 100% rejection. I decided it wasn't worth trying to argue with that anymore. 100% accepted to next batch 100% rejected, because "these don't sell well". ☠️ I won't say she's totally wrong, but some of them,to this day, still sell on iStock and here.

Not going to retire on this, but... 

181DLs for  $107.33  since 5/21/11

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, woodsnorthphoto said:

Giving credit where it's due, I have to say that the past 2 weeks or so the reviews have gotten much better. No rejections for focus when the picture is in full focus, less noise rejections and no keyword games when the keywords fit the picture. Hope things have gotten better for good. 

Your lucky number came up on the SS review Wheel of Fortune? 😁

SS-lucky-wheel-of-review.jpg