And here it goes again... Perfectly sharp image rejected for Focus... At this point, I don't see any point submitting images anymore. A roulette it is, some days every image gets approved regardless of noise, other days, none do. It's just more and more work for less pay.

150 percent crops below. But maybe I should look at it at 800 percent.

1043331702_DSC_0511(2).thumb.jpg.cc5e61f43a8c8d3cb715d4877947d23d.jpg

1760461164_DSC_0511(3).thumb.jpg.529211363ea387e50e66a5aab32b8e4b.jpg

1 hour ago, Jackson Stock Photography said:

Am I right in assuming Shutterstock are a little more lenient with acceptance on editorial?  I feel this is so as I seem to get less rejections on editorial.  

It's been editorial that I've been getting rejected for. Today was a roller coaster, this morning all rejected then in the afternoon accepted then back to rejection later in the day. All for either noise or focus.

21 hours ago, Jackson Stock Photography said:

Am I right in assuming Shutterstock are a little more lenient with acceptance on editorial?  I feel this is so as I seem to get less rejections on editorial.  

All my rejections these days are editorial.

14 hours ago, Jackson Stock Photography said:

I've found Topaz Denoise very helpful for eliminating noise and sharpening.  

And no, Topax Denoise won't help either. Every one of my images is scrubbed clean for noise and are in focus. These rejections are just completely random and happen in cycles. This week I had 20 images approved in a row. And then 10 rejected in a row. Then 5 approved in a row and 5 rejected in a row. It's entirely a throw of the dice at the moment. Sometimes I throw in the rejected images with a new lot to see if they get approved and voila, they do. But it's taking such an insane amount of work to get a fair review these days that I'm just gonna stop submitting.

14 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

aking such an insane amount of work to get a fair review these days that I'm just gonna stop submitting.

yep totally agree I haven't uploaded since the price changes as way before I felt we were training a new generation of bots...so for mostly 10 cents would rather not bother and have been getting accepted on AS DT and P5 so for me not a problem although on SS had a $1.47 and $0.20 for a couple hey ho!

4 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

It's not entirely fair to just grumble on Shutterstock. Below are my photos, which have been disapproved by AS but approved by Shutterstock.
Unlike SS, I never upload the photos a second time at AS. Does anyone have experiences with that?

adobe sh.jpg

AS has always been tougher it seems. I am not against rejection, I get it, the picture isn't good enough, fine, move on to the next one. But lately they're being rejected right out. How is one rejected for whatever and then accepted without doing anything to it the following day?

18 minutes ago, woodsnorthphoto said:

AS has always been tougher it seems. I am not against rejection, I get it, the picture isn't good enough, fine, move on to the next one. But lately they're being rejected right out. How is one rejected for whatever and then accepted without doing anything to it the following day?

I don't justify Sutterstock's rejections. For example, I knew that my horse photo had a good chance of being approved the second time. Also strange that he gets a 7. A doubting case should get a 6.
For macro photos, the requirements for approval for SS and AS sometimes seem different. AS doesn't seem stricter with approvals, but different.

This photo of a bumblebee was rejected by AS

This photo of winter heath is several times rejected by SS

I just wondered whether at AS sometimes a photo is approved the second time. I've never tried that.

11 minutes ago, Rudy Matchinga said:

Sounds like a lot of work for 10 cents.

Is not too bad. If you have saved the keywords and description it is not much work.
It is annoying when you know that it is not right. It's more to get you right than because of that lousy 10 cents. 🙂

1 hour ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

It's not entirely fair to just grumble on Shutterstock. Below are my photos, which have been disapproved by AS but approved by Shutterstock.
Unlike SS, I never upload the photos a second time at AS. Does anyone have experiences with that?

I actually have a 100 percent approval record on AS (and IS), so never had to submit an image twice. Just wish I had more sales there.

My last uploads took 6 days to be accepted by the competitor. I would therefore assume that the selection there is still done by real people. With the time pressure under which they work in combination with the mass of images that are uploaded there every day, errors are inevitable.

But for sure the system makes more sense than what is happening at shutterstock right now.

Stereotypically: Take a miserable image, wait for the rejection, upload it – and it is accepted. This is really the last thing an image database needs. The decision is not made about the image as such, but about the persistence of the contributor. Where is the sense in that, please?

I have tried several times to get an image that was accepted at shutterstock (and at all other agencies where I offer) and also had sales (currently 1381) at the competitor through the selection. And have been annoyed every time it was rejected. At some point I gave up.

Today I see it with different eyes. They have their principles, they can sometimes be wrong, but from my point of view they are better positioned than with artificial intelligence, which doesn't work at all. The AI can only judge technical things. It cannot understand emotional, aesthetic and other very human sensibilities. Maybe in a few years this is completely different, but at the moment it does not work at all!

21 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I don't justify Sutterstock's rejections. For example, I knew that my horse photo had a good chance of being approved the second time. Also strange that he gets a 7. A doubting case should get a 6.
For macro photos, the requirements for approval for SS and AS sometimes seem different. AS doesn't seem stricter with approvals, but different.

This photo of a bumblebee was rejected by AS

This photo of winter heath is several times rejected by SS

I just wondered whether at AS sometimes a photo is approved the second time. I've never tried that.

Good points, they are different, and from my experience also a bit more strict. I have had images pass here that were rejected on AS. Of course more people have also had images approved on AS that were rejected here. About that second time. Most of the time, if I get a rejection on SS I don't care enough to upload again. I suppose some people have shown, that re-uploading can work.

AS when I have had a rejection and I looked very carefully, I can see why they might have found a flaw. I have uploaded a second time, but only after I corrected the image. What I'm getting at is this, the rejections from AS are more likely to be reasonable. And until something changes, every image is viewed by a human! A couple years ago that was true here, now the Machine Learning has taken over, as it was trained by those humans. Then some programmer decided how to read sharpness and contrast and who knows what else, and let the machine reject or accept on whether the image falls within the set limits.

AS takes things that SS doesn't. SS takes things that AS doesn't. Different files and types of images, have different results between the two. The customer base I propose is different, as CC people are different than Subscription image people.

My current philosophy is: How much work do I want to do, for a dime? If they reject an image, I'm really not that concerned. Being accepted is only the third step on the way to a sale, uploading makes no money and costs money and time.

1) Shoot

2) Edit

3) Upload

4) Wait

(Note: the 4th step is not sales it's just watching.) 😁

5) Success, sales and downloads 👍

6) Get paid