Is Nikon D7500 Camera good for wildlife photography?

Don,

While I don't shoot Nikon, they make great cameras so I'm sure the D7500 will be more than adequate for wildlife.  However, keep in mind that you will need a long telephoto lens for wildlife and that may cost as much (maybe more) as any camera you chose.  I use to shoot a Canon full frame (5D Mk II) but I got tired of carrying around it and the big lenses required for a full frame camera or even Canon's crop sensor models.  Admittedly, my age (70+) had a lot do with my decision but hiking around looking for wildlife with 10 to15 pounds of camera equipment was getting old. 

My brother recommended the Olympus OMD line of cameras and after buying an entry level Olympus, I was convince the dramatic decrease in weight far out weighed the slight decrease in image quality due to the smaller sensor.  In addition, due to the camera's smaller sensor their 100-400mm Zoom lens is the 35 mm equivalent of a 200-800mm lens which is a huge plus for a wildlife photographer.  I ended up buying an Olympus EM 1 MkIII ($1,600.00) and in my opinion it is the best wildlife camera you can buy.  However, don't be swayed by my or anyone else's opinion, do your own research, check out the portfolios of each person that makes a recommendation and determine what is important to you. 

Good luck with your search and your ultimate camera choice. 

The camera is not as fundamental as the lens. You need a long-focus object with stabilization (if you have money with an aperture of 2.8 or more), strong hands, sometimes a monopod, a weapon or a man with a weapon who will save your life when the wildlife decides to attack you. I used both Canon Mark 2 and Mark 3, there is no big difference, only the memory cameras in the latter are more convenient

• 3 weeks later...

Don,

As other have suggested, the D500 would be a bit better than the D7500, but it really depends on what you want to capture. Wildlife is still very generic and you don't have the same requirement to capture an elephant resting or a jumping tiger... The D500 offers more focus point, a slightly better FPS for continuous shooting and a better autofocus system. You also have to consider that the D500 doesn't have sensor based image stabilisation which can make a difference for handheld shot. The D500 is also a bit more heavy and doesn't have an in-built flash. It is also more expensive, so it is really a question of what do you really need? 

The choice of lens is actually more important than the actual camera... For years I shot with a compact camera (a very good one) and my friends were amazed by the image quality and what I could capture with it. Now I've got a D7500 and I'm satisfied by it. Because of the covid, I couldn't test it for wildlife photography yet, but I feel that It shouldn't be an issue.