Anyone have success selling prints on Etsy

I am slowly getting out of microstock, too much time and effort for very little reward. It's too bad because years ago I thought when I retire I will have plenty of time to shoot and upload tons of images to stock agencies. I am retiring and realizing now that it's not worth it anymore, so I want to venture into the high quality prints to be sold online. Anyone have good experiences with prints? Suggestions for great online print labs?

I've been on Etsy for a couple of years now. I have a fine art print page (www.etsy.com/uk/shop/CalvertFineArt) and a page where you can download background textures (https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/CalvertDigital ). On the print page I've made a pitiful 3 sales, and the textures 19 sales. I think the reason why the print page hasn't been successful is because I sell prints from around £40 upwards. Some are priced £110 upwards. Perhaps folk don't like my work, but I think the real reason is that most visitors to Etsy aren't prepared to pay those prices. I was previously on Fine Art America for 3 years and I made zero sales.

I keep the pages going for my own amusement, with the remote hope that I might make a decent sale one day...

The problem with selling images and prints out of microstock is the competition. There are plenty of great photographers out there with expensive equipment all looking at an increasingly dwindling market. Your work either needs to be seriously great for you to sell any work or you need to work very very hard for months on end to get the word out and have a network of customers. So it's a very different world from microstock where even a somewhat average photo taken with a phone can be sold many times and you don't really need to work a lot to sell it.

It doesn't matter whether you're on Etsy or FAA or Redbubble, all of them require an insane amount of work and quality from your end to make any money. And by quality, I mean the sort of work you see on 1x.com. And even the guys on 1x have a hard time selling prints these days. So that's where the market's at at the moment.

5 hours ago, David Calvert said:

I've been on Etsy for a couple of years now. I have a fine art print page (www.etsy.com/uk/shop/CalvertFineArt) and a page where you can download background textures (https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/CalvertDigital ). On the print page I've made a pitiful 3 sales, and the textures 19 sales. I think the reason why the print page hasn't been successful is because I sell prints from around £40 upwards. Some are priced £110 upwards. Perhaps folk don't like my work, but I think the real reason is that most visitors to Etsy aren't prepared to pay those prices. I was previously on Fine Art America for 3 years and I made zero sales.

I keep the pages going for my own amusement, with the remote hope that I might make a decent sale one day...

I really like your B&W photos on Etsy, nice work!

6 hours ago, balajisrinivasan said:

The problem with selling images and prints out of microstock is the competition. There are plenty of great photographers out there with expensive equipment all looking at an increasingly dwindling market. Your work either needs to be seriously great for you to sell any work or you need to work very very hard for months on end to get the word out and have a network of customers. So it's a very different world from microstock where even a somewhat average photo taken with a phone can be sold many times and you don't really need to work a lot to sell it.

It doesn't matter whether you're on Etsy or FAA or Redbubble, all of them require an insane amount of work and quality from your end to make any money. And by quality, I mean the sort of work you see on 1x.com. And even the guys on 1x have a hard time selling prints these days. So that's where the market's at at the moment.

👍 Competition, quality, effort, all of that.

Or... someone might make sales from:  photos of something that not everyone else has.

This was about Etsy so I'll give my opinion. People who make products seem to do better there. People who make templates, backgrounds and useful tools for other artists to re-use in their products, seem to do better. I tried some digital downloads of useful graphics. Where I had 6-8 images, 800 dpi, bright and colorful, clean and edited, someone else would have 30 right click captures for $3. I never had a download. If someone is selling prints, that means pay Etsy, get a sale, make a print, pay to ship which means either a flat or a tube, plus postage. Not sure there's enough profit in that, to get me excited about selling prints or a physical product on Etsy.

I have sold prints and one T-Shirt on FAA/Pixels. The cost of the pay account has been covered, so anything else is profit. I still make more on SS.

I have not been trying to sell photos but more arty type stuff, this has been my experience to date...

Saachi Art - no sales - quit

Esty - Had sales for products but not artwork - the printing packing and shipping would be to much hassle for the return

Fineart America - no sales - quit

Artpal - no sales - still there

Redbubble - no sale - still there

I hope you have better luck 🙂