I don't understand this AI and think the whole thing is anachronistic.

You take a picture. It is accepted. It's been on page 1 of 5,000 for 3 years when you filter by relevance. Of course it is bought accordingly often. If there were complaints about the quality on the part of the buyers, the picture would no longer be on page 1.

Now you click on Top Quality. There are still 2,500 pages left. But the image is no longer visible.

So the AI that ranks the images in the search engine has decided differently than the AI that is used in Top Quality.

What is for sure: Top Quality is not defined by the image size, because in my case, out of a series, which are all rendered in the same quality and have the same size, are now interchanged. Top Quality now has another one from the series on page 1. No idea what that's about.

The problem is where I have no series.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree. What would AI possibly know about the commercial value of an image?  I don't shoot "pretty". I shoot "useful". I don't see any ratings on my stuff yet, but I guarantee my bestsellers will not s

If I were a  Yorkshire terrier I'd run to Wales (that might take me a long time with my little legs) and bite your ankle really hard with my little mouth and hope that my little teeth sink in a long w

Mine too! It seems the AI has a soft spot for Yorkshire Terriers.

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I don't understand this AI and think the whole thing is anachronistic.

You take a picture. It is accepted. It's been on page 1 of 5,000 for 3 years when you filter by relevance. Of course it is bought accordingly often. If there were complaints about the quality on the part of the buyers, the picture would no longer be on page 1.

Now you click on Top Quality. There are still 2,500 pages left. But the image is no longer visible.

So the AI that ranks the images in the search engine has decided differently than the AI that is used in Top Quality.

What is for sure: Top Quality is not defined by the image size, because in my case, out of a series, which are all rendered in the same quality and have the same size, are now interchanged. Top Quality now has another one from the series on page 1. No idea what that's about.

The problem is where I have no series.

It really is hard to say. We need an image that is "low quality" and "top quality" so that we can analyze those to find out what parameters the AI is using to rate the images. In fact, it would be very fair from SS to tell us, if they want us to make "top quality" images. I don't know what quality my images are, because the rating don't show for me.

4 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

As I have said before, I think the SS is working on a huge AI project that they can profit from at some point, and we contributors are guinea pigs.

For sure this means that some us are going to lose and some others might start making more profit. I guess it's safe to have different types of media in our portfolios to make sure that some of our work will stay alive when other ones are disappearing. For me there is nothing to lose, because my photos and renders and videos are lost in the mass and I've done only 13 sales so far since I started uploading.

I only did this for my top selling images. 

When I click on the 'top quality' filter, this image moves up from halfway down the first page to the 6th row down on the first page. My second best seller stays in about the same place. On the other hand, another good seller disappears completely.

11 minutes ago, Charles Lewis said:

I only did this for my top selling images. 

When I click on the 'top quality' filter, this image moves up from halfway down the first page to the 6th row down on the first page. My second best seller stays in about the same place. On the other hand, another good seller disappears completely.

I have to be really noob with this issue, because I don't even know where to activate that filter. I have only these:
image.thumb.png.7dc8b400326d9898c8535d8828779980.png

5 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Out of 364 million image files, only 108 million remain when using the Top Quality Filter. That is less than 30%.

For illustrations it is only 14.8% and for vectors only 13% remain.

"Never mind the quality, feel the width."   😄

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Mind_the_Quality,_Feel_the_Width

Steve,

I can't understand the principle. First they accept everything imaginable in images until there are over 300 million. Then they introduce a new AI that makes the selection grotesque. And then they add a rating filter that reduces the amount of images by more than two thirds. Where's the sense in that?

The width is now no longer there. Yet it was precisely the width that shutterstock obviously wanted so much.