I just noticed that some of my photos have a kind of rating under them, which is marked as: Predicted quality. 

rating.jpg.867592e9a273ba3bb8343d9cf368bd33.jpg

Is it something new (unannounced)? I would quite like to have some deeper information for this. Who and on what basis(just the mentioned visual appeal?) does this prediction? It is generated by AI or it is predicted by some selected group of people/reviewers at approval? Does this rating affect anything(position in search results etc.)? If there is already a thread somewhere for this, I apologize but I did not find it.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agree. What would AI possibly know about the commercial value of an image?  I don't shoot "pretty". I shoot "useful". I don't see any ratings on my stuff yet, but I guarantee my bestsellers will not s

If I were a  Yorkshire terrier I'd run to Wales (that might take me a long time with my little legs) and bite your ankle really hard with my little mouth and hope that my little teeth sink in a long w

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Pavel Rumlena said:

I just noticed that some of my photos have a kind of rating under them, which is marked as: Predicted quality. 

rating.jpg.867592e9a273ba3bb8343d9cf368bd33.jpg

Is it something new (unannounced)? I would quite like to have some deeper information for this. Who and on what basis(just the mentioned visual appeal?) does this prediction? It is generated by AI or it is predicted by some selected group of people/reviewers at approval? Does this rating affect anything(position in search results etc.)? If there is already a thread somewhere for this, I apologize but I did not find it.

Where are you seeing that? 9 of 10, that's nice.

59 minutes ago, Sari ONeal said:

I don't see an announcement of about it, either.

Well it says it's an AI-based prediction, so apparently AI is doing the scoring.

To me it seems like "now here's a pretty picture and the AI just scored it as a pretty picture..."

Yes and for some time now I've noticed some new images seem to be getting an invisible rating. I mean, a photo uploaded two months ago, flew to the front on my collection, and stayed there. One sale. Another with one sale, stays on top. Other new images, just sink down over time, as they get replaced by older images with more sales. What I mean without all that description is, I've seen some of my images get a boost, beyond just new, in the search and in my "Top Images".

I used to think there was a hidden rating system that reviewers could give an image a plus if they thought it was better. This would explain one more step in the AI that says "Our Bots Liked Your Image". 😁

Pavel,

I checked (clicked on an image) my portfolio and I found this rating on a large majority of the images on the first few pages of "Top Images".  While this is only a guess, I'm assuming that it has something to do with the number of times an image is viewed by a potential buyer when using a specific key word.  

In the process of checking, I looked up images that I know have been good sellers as well as newly uploaded images (never downloaded) and found both have been rated, so it seems it isn't strictly a measurement of the number of downloads.  On images that have sold often in a genre which I suspect has little demand, the rating was high (10/10) while the rating on images (that also sell well) in more competitive areas (flowers) tended to have lower ratings (8/10).  I'm not sure what if anything this means but it seems to support something other than a download only explanation. 

Again this is just my theory.  Hopefully, Shutterstock will tell us all about it shortly as part of their ongoing attempt to keep us informed🤣.     

1 hour ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

That's very interesting, Pavel.

I've tried several images now, but don't get that displayed anywhere. Maybe this is again only visible in a trial/beta version and not available in all countries.

Wilm, I see a rating for example below this:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/rural-seaside-panoramic-landscape-blooming-canola-1724070421

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/rural-panoramic-landscape-blooming-canola-field-1723264768

Try it.

1 hour ago, Sari ONeal said:

Well it says it's an AI-based prediction, so apparently AI is doing the scoring.

I can already see it and thank you. I misread this AI-based and in my head mistaken it for All-based(like it's overall based). It's just my mistake in translation.

8 minutes ago, Steve Bower said:

Pavel,

I checked (clicked on an image) my portfolio...

Again this is just my theory.  Hopefully, Shutterstock will tell us all about it shortly as part of their ongoing attempt to keep us informed🤣.     

Some of my photos that have never been sold and are quite old have a rating of 10/10 and some photos that are my topsellers have a relatively low rating, such as 7/10. It's just weird. 

This is indeed funny, because it proves once again how much the AI is off! It gives me good estimates for images that don't sell at all or maybe only a few times, mediocre or no estimate at all for images with hundreds or thousands of downloads. When the same AI is used to review images, nothing surprises me anymore. What a brilliant AI! 🤪

52 minutes ago, Pavel Rumlena said:

Some of my photos that have never been sold and are quite old have a rating of 10/10 and some photos that are my topsellers have a relatively low rating, such as 7/10. It's just weird. 

Noticed one of my best sellers got a rating of 6/10..🤨 If I were a customer, that would put me off. So thank you again for this wonderful new tool, which will surely push my portfolio into the Abyss.  Give us a break, please. 😧

Okay folks, 

I know what this is for now!

It's shutterstock's newest weapon against copycats! It's supposed to mislead the copycats because they now go by the ratings of the images. 😎

I just checked this out of interest for the images with more than 400 downloads. 
- 22 of them got no rating at all. 
- None has 10/10. I am depressed now! 😪
- 2 have 9/10. oh wow! At least two decent ratings. 🙂
- 2 have 6/10 (one with 800 and one with just under 700 downloads). 🤪
- And the rest have 7/10 and 8/10. 
I guess that everything below 6/10 doesn't get a rating at all, because that would be a downgrading of shutterstock's review process. 6/10 is obviously the worst you can get displayed. Anything worse than that just doesn't get a rating.

Great, this artificial intelligence!

I can't see this on my images but I also can't see it on any of the top images of the contributors on this thread who say that it's there so my conclusion is that buyers can't see it.  I dearly hope so as I can't see the sense in this at all.  If anything it will put buyers off if the ratings are low which is an absurd innovation.

12 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

I wonder if these ratings are visible only to some users. I don't see them for any of the images including the images posted on this topic.

Changing your language to English may help:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/elephant-leans-against-tree-big-tusks-1555122785  Rating: 9/10

8 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Me neither

At least the first two rows on your portfolio(Top) have ratings (I haven't checked more.)

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/green-rain-barrel-front-ivy-wall-1696736347 Rating 7/10

3 minutes ago, Pavel Rumlena said:

Try to change the language to some random one and then get your English again. I see them normally:

rating2.jpg.767513efbfe9e6161486379447fc9a0a.jpg

When I first saw that I thought 'what a fantastic photo' then I realised it was mine 🙂

I did try changing languages and back thanks but to no avail.

It looks like they are testing another piece of 'exciting news' for us 😞

After doing a little more research on my portfolio, it seems that the rating only appears on images that have had recent downloads and or interest (views?).   From this, I conclude this new feature is in the process of accumulating data on Shutterstock's image base and not all images have had enough recent activity to generate a quality rating.  Again just an extension of my original theory.    

Just what we need.  The AI that thinks foliage is noise and clouds need a model release is now ranking how good the images are.

I mean what could possibly go wrong?

Just tried on a few of mine.  Of those it displays on, my most popular images (thousands or hundreds of dollars per image) scored 6 or 7 out of 10.

Ones ive had that i didnt even submit to Alamy as focus was slightly off but dumped on here are getting 9 out of 10.

Images that have sold 700 times rank low, others that have sold once for a sub in 10 years ranking high.