• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Very similar to me.  The only differences are that I have 462 fewer downloads than you.  Exactly the same figures as you, but the digits are ordered differently.  So, for me, the 0 comes first then th

So your wife is my only chance to overtake you in a piddly 385 years. Can I have her address?

Sales yes. 10c after 10c after 10c.  

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Download.  What's a download?

The downloads are halfway okay for me, Debbie. Compared to March last year, a few percent worse. But I would still call that statistical noise.

In the meantime, I've earned one and a half times more from the competitor this week - and it's only Wednesday - than I've earned from shutterstock so far in the whole of March.

After January and February, I'm getting closer and closer to deciding to quit shutterstock. While that would still be a decent loss for me, it would hurt. But it would hurt shutterstock even more. At some point I'll be done with this crap! I'm really pissed about the new revenue structure!

14 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

After January and February, I'm getting closer and closer to deciding to quit shutterstock. While that would still be a decent loss for me, it would hurt. But it would hurt shutterstock even more. At some point I'll be done with this crap! I'm really pissed about the new revenue structure!

That would be typically principled of you Wilm, but losing out financially on a principle is a big step to take. 

It would hurt you more I think (as it's a personal loss) than it would hurt Sstock (a company presently thriving financially).

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you all the best for the future. 

I have always enjoyed your input into the forums and would be sad to see you go, as I am sure would others.

1 minute ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

So far SS has 5 times the downloads AS.  4 times less income. I quit uploading images months ago. Soon I will stop uploading videos.

How are you doing? I see your parkour athlete image ranked up!, is it due to a sale? :D

Totally rubbish for me this month thanks.  I believe you are on A? 🙂

He's never sold.  I'm not surprised the wonky video hasn't, but I would have expected one of the photos to have sold by now.

You are still welcome to choose any you like and I am happy to email them to you 🙂

57 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

Totally rubbish for me this month thanks.  I believe you are on A? 🙂

He's never sold.  I'm not surprised the wonky video hasn't, but I would have expected one of the photos to have sold by now.

You are still welcome to choose any you like and I am happy to email them to you 🙂

Same here, may not reach payout this month. Do you mean Al..y?

5 minutes ago, David Moreno Hernandez said:

Yeah, I uploaded just 40 images. I am looking forward to uploading new images as soon as I can 😢. I did get a promotion for 2 of my pics as they appeared on the front page of their web for a couple of weeks, did not sell though.

I saw those.  Loved the gorillas 💕 I had a vintage photo on the front page too ... nice to see them up there. 

The rejections with Arc are tough 😞

After the lockdowns hopefully we can go back to a more normal photographic life 🙂

Talking of lockdowns, it's really irritating that I can't travel to another town.  Local to us is Reading and Banksy has painted a brilliant mural on the side of Reading jail.  That's on my list as a first trip once we are released.

2 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

That would be typically principled of you Wilm, but losing out financially on a principle is a big step to take. 

It would hurt you more I think (as it's a personal loss) than it would hurt Sstock (a company presently thriving financially).

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you all the best for the future. 

I have always enjoyed your input into the forums and would be sad to see you go, as I am sure would others.

Thank you very much, Debbie.

The facts here are these:

RPD today was $0.18, even though it included an SOD!
Previously it would have been – even if all downloads had been only subscriptions – at 0.38.

And this concerns only us contributors, not shutterstock!

So you can calculate the losses, no matter if you had 1, 10, 100 or 1000 downloads.

This is just frustrating!

15 minutes ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Thank you very much, Debbie.

The facts here are these:

RPD today was $0.18, even though it included an SOD!
Previously it would have been – even if all downloads had been only subscriptions – at 0.38.

And this concerns only us contributors, not shutterstock!

So you can calculate the losses, no matter if you had 1, 10, 100 or 1000 downloads.

This is just frustrating!

Here's the problem.

I just went on the Shutterstock client site (looking for this quality rating thing) and it is offering me plans starting at $0.22 an image. So how can Shutterstock pay the contributor a minimum of $0.38 (or even $0.25) an image when it is only making $0.22?

Now, I understand that, as a contributor, you want to make as much money as you can. But so does Shutterstock and, in the real world, they can't pay you more than they are making on an image.

The glory days of stock are over. It's a commodity business and you are getting commodity prices. You have a choice. Either stay as you are and get diminishing returns, increase production to make up for lower returns or leave the business. It really is that simple.

For the first two months of this year I was singing the blues with the rest of you but for some reason March is beginning to look up so it's bound to improve for you as well.  Hang in there things will get better, even at Shutterstock.  

I've already made in March more than than I made in either Jan. or Feb. and I'm even beginning to see more ODs, SOs and even ELs.  My RPD is up even on subscription sales (.26) and so far this month my average RPD is at .82.

Things are bound to get better as our levels increase.          

9 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

Here's the problem.

I just went on the Shutterstock client site (looking for this quality rating thing) and it is offering me plans starting at $0.22 an image. So how can Shutterstock pay the contributor a minimum of $0.38 (or even $0.25) an image when it is only making $0.22?

Now, I understand that, as a contributor, you want to make as much money as you can. But so does Shutterstock and, in the real world, they can't pay you more than they are making on an image.

The glory days of stock are over. It's a commodity business and you are getting commodity prices. You have a choice. Either stay as you are and get diminishing returns, increase production to make up for lower returns or leave the business. It really is that simple.

We already knew that, Charles. The problem is, it's a race to the bottom. IS and SS offer the photos cheaply. Stock sites like Alamy have to come along at some point if they want to survive. After that, the price will go down further. Which in turn is passed on to us. Until we do it for likes (another topic).
The problem is, SS is never clear to us. Recall how the message was brought at the time.
With us you can also see this at the supermarkets. The bigger and more powerful they are, the lower the price they can demand for the food. As a result, the farmers get even less and they have to plant even more, keep more cattle to earn. And the small supermarkets are therefore disappearing (The supermarket of supermarket chain Deen in our village is now being sold to a larger one and Deen disappears)
We are those farmers.

1 hour ago, Steve Bower said:

For the first two months of this year I was singing the blues with the rest of you but for some reason March is beginning to look up so it's bound to improve for you as well.  Hang in there things will get better, even at Shutterstock.  

I've already made in March more than than I made in either Jan. or Feb. and I'm even beginning to see more ODs, SOs and even ELs.  My RPD is up even on subscription sales (.26) and so far this month my average RPD is at .82.

Things are bound to get better as our levels increase.          

Same for me, February was awful, but March is pretty good due to a couple of OD/Singles yesterday, so March already overtook last month. I also got an Alamy sale this month so things are looking ok. It's a rollercoaster

7 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

March Level 4 RPD = $ 0,446.

It is incredibly miserable!!!

Same.

For images im on $0.45 RPD based on a few hundred downloads.

Video only $8.88

Thats worse than January despite being several levels up on each!

9 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

We already knew that, Charles. .........
With us you can also see this at the supermarkets. The bigger and more powerful they are, the lower the price they can demand for the food. As a result, the farmers get even less and they have to plant even more, keep more cattle to earn. And the small supermarkets are therefore disappearing (The supermarket of supermarket chain Deen in our village is now being sold to a larger one and Deen disappears)
We are those farmers.

We knew that too.

And what does that have to do with agencies?
This has always been the case, the big fish eats up the small one.
The pandemic also adds to this.
The solution is not to knock down the big supermarkets but to grow over their heads , if you can. Making your own agency is not worth it but young people can make a professional reconversion. Get a job, don't be a farmer if it doesn't pay off. Licking our wounds for years and mourning on these monthly doom and gloom threads won't help.

I am not taking SS-s part but your comparison doesn't work, sorry.

10 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

Here's the problem.

Hello Charles,

this is exactly where the problem lies. I did not ask shutterstock to offer images for $0.22.

I can understand that big customers with a huge image demand get discounts. That's the case with big buyers everywhere in business.

If someone buys 10,000 bottles of water, it might be possible to offer them for $0.22. But ask the producer of champagne if he will sell the bottle for $0.22 if you guarantee that 10,000 bottles will be purchased. You will never find this producer.

A supermarket cannot simply offer goods to the buyer at prices at which a supplier cannot produce. Thijs has already described this.
A customer who wants to spend only $0.22 can only get goods that can be produced at this price.

From my point of view, shutterstock should have offered an opt out. In my opinion, the image contributors should be allowed to choose whether their image material can be offered by shutterstock for less than - for example - $1,00. That's how it was with Dollar Photo Club back then. There was an opt out.

Then there would still be the possibility for large customers to buy for $0.22. But the choice would be limited.

34 minutes ago, Whiteaster said:

We knew that too.

And what does that have to do with agencies?
This has always been the case, the small fish eats up the big one.
The pandemic is also adds to this.
The solution is not to knock down the big supermarkets but to grow over their heads , if you can. Make your own agency is not worth it but young people can make a professional reconversion. Get a job, don't be a farmer if it doesn't pay off. Licking our wounds for years and mourning on these monthly doom and gloom threads won't help.

I am not taking SS-s part but your comparison doesn't work, sorry.

Maybe I compared it because my father, grandfather, great grandfather, ... were a farmer. My sister and I have indeed changed jobs. And so the last farm in the village disappeared. He also got too small.
Time changes, that's okay indeed.

You are faced with the choice: 'Do I make the company bigger to earn the same or do I do something else.' This also applies to professional providers of photos for the stock sites. Am I going to take more and better pictures or do I do something else. For me and for most of the others here that does not apply and it is more of: "Do I still enjoy doing this merit or look for another hobby."

I only answered the statement that Shutterstock cannot do otherwise. And then you can say that Shutterstock is now lowering prices together with I Stock, so that others come along.
There are other factors as well, such as the sheer amount of photos delivered today. Sites that already offer free photos. I have long accepted that. Only I am annoyed by the way this is presented by Shutterstock.

14 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

Only I am annoyed by the way this is presented by Shutterstock.

This I agree with but it will never change.

Everything is changing in this new world we live in, everyone is afraid of the future.

Starting June 1, 2021, even the giant Google is limiting its generous free storage quota .

Time will come when we will have to pay for hosting our images, on all agencies (not just FAA and some others).