When I began as a Shutterstock contributor ten years ago, I barely knew what I was doing. I thought of myself as a fairly good photographer and I thought I would turn my camera into pocket change for new gear. I faced all the challenges of new contributors with constant rejections and poor sales. Like a lot of people, I nearly gave up on stock photography.  It wasn't until 2014 when I changed my focus to Editorial that my fortunes changed for the better. And it was at that time I set a goal for myself. I decided that I would make it my objective to have 5000 images in my Shutterstock port by the time I turned 65. To that end, I have worked my tail off.

A few months before my 65th birthday, I'm one image short of my objective. I think back over the decade. I look at how far I have come as a photographer and videographer. I think of all work I have put into stock photography and making this endeavor work. Even with Shutterstock's commission changes, stock photography here and with other agencies can work. Thanks to those on this forum who have been of help over the decade.  Now, on to setting another goal for my 70th birthday!

image.png.ad687978899c83d50a9903052fd7d3a9.png

image.png

Congratulations ! 10 years of hard work shows a lot of dedication.👍 Well done !

Hoping to reach your current milestone in 10 years time when I am 60 (though this might be an impossible task, as after one year I already feel deflated like a hot air balloon ready to hit rock bottom 🤪)

On 3/2/2021 at 2:27 PM, David A Litman said:

Congratulations Ken!  It looks like you've spent a good deal of time in my neck of the woods (Monterey County).  I've been trying for years to displace your top selling image for keywords "Salinas Lettuce",  lol.  Nice work!

I lived in Salinas for a few years when I worked a Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center Monterey. I took that image in 2013. That lettuce field image with Toro Park in the background is my top selling image of all time and I had no idea when I took the photo it would have done as well as it has. Not all that much thought went into the image, to be honest.  I miss the California Central Coast a great deal. I can't wait for the pandemic to subside so I can visit again Point Lobos, Wilder Ranch, The Pinnacles and other places of beauty. Thanks for the compliment and best wishes from frozen Hudson, Wisconsin.

On 3/6/2021 at 7:48 PM, Ken Wolter said:

I lived in Salinas for a few years when I worked a Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center Monterey. I took that image in 2013. That lettuce field image with Toro Park in the background is my top selling image of all time and I had no idea when I took the photo it would have done as well as it has. Not all that much thought went into the image, to be honest.  I miss the California Central Coast a great deal. I can't wait for the pandemic to subside so I can visit again Point Lobos, Wilder Ranch, The Pinnacles and other places of beauty. Thanks for the compliment and best wishes from frozen Hudson, Wisconsin.

Was Henry Hudson ever in Wisconsin? Nope it's named after the Hudson River in New York. Hudson on the Interstate is the last sign of civilization before you enter Minnesota? 😉 After that you're smack in the middle of "Fargo" types and "ya hey der" folks.