Just Un-Licensed My Portfolio Again for the 2nd time.

I'm just tired of seeing those sub $5 video sales royalties I would get $30 or more on Pond5 and Adobe Stock.  It's insulting and infuriating.  And those cheap video sub may be either HD or 4K, the same price!!  Give me a f'kin break.  Although Shutterstock has occasional high price license sales, about half of video sales for the last 2 months are those cheap video sub sales.  I did OK without Shutterstock last year from mid July to mid December when I unlicensed my portfolio.  I'm not here to make the Shutterstock management with stock options rich.  I'm not their slave.  So f'k that.  This year's slowdown of Shutterstock sales is very worrying and discouraging while Pond5 and Adobe Stock have been doing well for me.  My spirit is broken as far as selling videos on Shutterstock is concerned.  Now I get a peace of mind focusing on Pond5 and Adobe Stock and not feeling enraged seeing getting less than $5 for 4k video sale.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 3.01.50 AM.png

• blvdone changed the title to Just Un-Licensed My Portfolio Again for the 2nd time.

I don't do videos and other than maybe macro photos of insects, I'm not a great photographer. I therefore do not expect great earnings.
I don't like how Shutterstock treats us either, but at Alamy and Adobe, I make even less. As long as I enjoy taking pictures I will keep going and otherwise I will stop. If the other stock sites did better for me than Shutterstock, I would stop uploading immediately.
Furthermore, I don't worry about it anymore, because it doesn't help and only spoils my mood.
I admire your grumbling about everything that goes wrong, but I also get a little tired of it.  😉  It doesn't help, at most, they'll remove you from the forum as Geogif, but apparently they don't care. .

14 minutes ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

I don't do videos and other than maybe macro photos of insects, I'm not a great photographer. I therefore do not expect great earnings.
I don't like how Shutterstock treats us either, but at Alamy and Adobe, I make even less. As long as I enjoy taking pictures I will keep going and otherwise I will stop. If the other stock sites did better for me than Shutterstock, I would stop uploading immediately.
Furthermore, I don't worry about it anymore, because it doesn't help and only spoils my mood.
I admire your grumbling about everything that goes wrong, but I also get a little tired of it.  😉  It doesn't help, at most, they'll remove you from the forum as Geogif, but apparently they don't care. .

Haha!!

7 hours ago, blvdone said:

My advice is, try unlicensing for a month or two.  Anybody can afford that, I think.  And see what happens with other stock sites.  Also how you feel about not seeing those cheap sales here that's infuriating.

Do you have any experience or evidence that taking things off SS increases sales at other sites?

32 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Do you have any experience or evidence that taking things off SS increases sales at other sites?

No evidence.  It depends on how well you do on other sites too.  Everybody's performance is different.  But if you are sick of sub $5 commission video subs for 4k video on Shutterstock, it's worth a try imo.  You can always turn it back on after a month.

I feel like I'm respected again.  My babies aren't treated like POS anymore.  It's like being in an abusive relationship.  You know the pimp doesn't love you and he treats you like garbage taking money from you.  And you start to believe that you are nothing without the pimp.  You know it's a bad situation, but you have no courage to walk away from the pimp and get stuck there in the abusive relationship.  Well, not anymore.  I feel good.

46 minutes ago, blvdone said:

I feel like I'm respected again.  My babies aren't treated like POS anymore.  It's like being in an abusive relationship.  You know the pimp doesn't love you and he treats you like garbage taking money from you.  And you start to believe that you are nothing without the pimp.  You know it's a bad situation, but you have no courage to walk away from the pimp and get stuck there in the abusive relationship.  Well, not anymore.  I feel good.

um, this you?

image.png.247a188eadea854cb10f08509dc14140.png

To use your own argument, you didn't leave. You're just taking a little time out in hopes that he changes.

Pond5 sales jumped on the first day of unlicensing on Shutterstock.  I'm loving those 60% commissions on my editorial videos!!  Who knows I would've gotten $3 each on Shutterstock instead if I didn't unlicense my portfolio here.  At least you may want to consider uploading your new editorial videos to Pond5 exclusive account only.

Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 8.12.54 AM.png