Illegal YouTube channel posting "free stock footage" giveaway

I found another youtube channel posted my clip since June 2019 and got nearly 100k views with people asking they want to use it for free and many apparently have.  I probably lost some money because of that guy who posted it on youtube.  I hope I can sue him and recoup damage.  I need to frequently keep my eyes on youtube to see if somebody is posting my videos without watermark.  Ones with watermark of Pond5 or Shutterstock are OK because it's basically an advertisement.

57 minutes ago, blvdone said:

got nearly 100k views with people asking they want to use it for free and many apparently have.  I probably lost some money because of that guy who posted it on youtube.  

Very likely. A really horrible situation. I don't blame you for wanting to sue though if the guy lives in another country, taking legal action effectively can be incredibly difficult. 

33 minutes ago, blvdone said:

He lives in the same country.

In that case, good luck! I hope you can 'send him to the cleaners' so to speak. Though the tricky thing is you might need evidence of how many times that video was downloaded in order to calculate how much potential revenue you lost. Then again, that's only my assumption. I'm not a lawyer.

10 hours ago, blvdone said:

I found one of my videos and filed for removal.  You got to check this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYlcSU6jLQZkTKORFxYXO-Q/videos

That is tragic. The guy got rich from stealing.

Free Stock Footage, Motion Graphics, CC0, Public Domain, Free commercial use, No Copyright, Royalty Free

50 minutes ago, oleschwander said:

How do ‘he’ earn money? On ads?

Yes, by monetizing his channel. Why else would he take such a risk?

Google DMCA would take the videos down but it has to be submitted by the authors who probably have no idea that such crime can happen. The worst part is that except for the author (or his close friends), nobody will found out that these videos are stolen, unfortunately.

YouTube isn’t able to mediate rights ownership disputes. When we receive a complete and valid takedown notice, we remove the content as the law requires. When we receive a valid counter notification, we forward it to the person who requested the removal. After this, it’s up to the parties involved to resolve the issue in court.

"in court" is too expensive for just one author, more than the videos are worth so there is not much to do to close down these channels.

The "author report" is why theft is so common on microstock.

Its just too unlikely an author will ever find their media to actually report it.

Its even harder for popular things that have sold and can be found everywhere.

Its also why license abuse is so rampant - good luck finding something being used against its license when you have no idea who bought it, why and its sold 5,000 times already.

I went to the site listed and entered a search for one the titles I thought I might be able to find, sure enough it was there. The thing I don't understand is that it listed under Shutterstock. I went as far as to put it in the cart, but I didn't want to sign in at that point. I guess my real question is why is it for sale when I froze my account when I went exclusive on P5?

3 minutes ago, Gregory Pickens said:

I went to the site listed and entered a search for one the titles I thought I might be able to find, sure enough it was there. The thing I don't understand is that it listed under Shutterstock. I went as far as to put it in the cart, but I didn't want to sign in at that point. I guess my real question is why is it for sale when I froze my account when I went exclusive on P5?

When did you do it though?  SS can keep stuff up for 90 days after removal according to T&Cs

Update.  Among 7 youtube videos I filed claim for copyright infringement, 6 were removed.  Probably the one that remains was legitimately purchased by the poster.  But I don't think he has the right to post it on YouTube on its entirety.  It has 100k views in less than 2 years and many on comment section claimed they downloaded to use for their projects.

27 minutes ago, Former_Poster said:

Any idea which agency these clips came from?

That I don't know.  Nobody knows.  In my case, one clip was posted by 5 different channels.  Apparently, 4 guys downloaded from the first poster and then posted by themselves.  Pond5 people were the only ones who offered help to resolve this problem.  They care about contributors the most and are easy to contact/talk to.  https://www.pond5.com/community?forum=76121&thread=143269540