8 hours ago, Linda Bestwick said:

I'm sure @Rudy Umans has talked about this camera before, maybe he can chip in :) 

Mine is an older mark 2 and that one is definitely good enough for stock. Many of the images in my port are from that camera.  I also sold 60 inch (1.5 meter) prints done by that little camera on FAA

Having said that, the only thing with mine is noise above 1600 ISO and with very low light, but the noise is not bad and can easily be removed. I am pretty sure it is better under control than with your old DSLR

The mk vii is the latest and the greatest and I am sure it s better than the mk ii and he only reason why I don't upgrade is because $1200.00 for a little pocket rocket is a lot of money. (and I have already 10 working film cameras that I use a lot and a DSLR and 4 lenses that I hardly use anymore)

4 hours ago, Rudy Umans said:

Mine is an older mark 2 and that one is definitely good enough for stock. Many of the images in my port are from that camera.  I also sold 60 inch (1.5 meter) prints done by that little camera on FAA

Having said that, the only thing with mine is noise above 1600 ISO and with very low light, but the noise is not bad and can easily be removed. I am pretty sure it is better under control than with your old DSLR

The mk vii is the latest and the greatest and I am sure it s better than the mk ii and he only reason why I don't upgrade is because $1200.00 for a little pocket rocket is a lot of money

I never looked close at those. RX100 VII and I'll assume the RX100 II what a nice little super zoom, pocket camera. I've really liked newer Sony cameras for years now, but I'm already married to Canon. 😉

Impressive:  https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-rx100-vii-review#:~:text= Key Specifications 1 20MP 1"-type stacked-CMOS,or down by 90°) 7 Intervalometer More

Too expensive in my opinion, especially with the way the stock market is at the moment.

If you can afford it just to keep the hobby going, it's a pretty handy cam to have. I have a Rx100 3 that goes with me everywhere and it's certainly a lot better and more versatile than my phone camera (a high end Samsung). The VII will be in a different league altogether.

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

I never looked close at those. RX100 VII and I'll assume the RX100 II what a nice little super zoom, pocket camera. I've really liked newer Sony cameras for years now, but I'm already married to Canon. 😉

I guess the main advantage of Sony's, incl. the RX100 series are the Zeiss lenses. Best lenses on the planet in my modest opinion. Some of their lens designs from over 110 years ago are still relevant today. Leica "R" lenses have the best bokeh in my experience, but they use the same Schott glass as Zeiss (Dr. Schott worked for Zeiss at the time)

Thank you to everyone on this thread.  I'm finding it really interesting.  I'm not sure the camera would be suitable for me as I need to use a viewfinder and it needs to stand 'proud' so that I can use my left eye otherwise my nose gets in the way. It's not a huge nose, but it's there and sadly I can't retract it to take photos.  A retractable nose would be a useful feature for me.

However, once life becomes more normal I may visit an actual camera shop (remember those) where I can pick one up and try it.  Sadly, even before continual lockdowns, those sort of shops are becoming rarer and rarer.

1 hour ago, stevemart said:

If you can do with  only 24mm-70mm zoom range, the older version RX100markIV is still available for €625 here in NL. Maybe cheaper in US if still available.

I'm looking at the VI which has the same zoom capacity as the VII as it's more affordable.  It's the zoom I'm interested in.

However, I would really like to hold it + try looking through the viewfinder first.  We have an 'independent' camera shop in Chichester where you can do just that (a city local to us) but unfortunately we are in lockdown.  I wonder whether once lockdown is over that sort of facility will be removed anyway as I should think lots of people handling the same camera won't be a good idea.

39 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

I'm looking at the VI which has the same zoom capacity as the VII as it's more affordable.  It's the zoom I'm interested in.

However, I would really like to hold it + try looking through the viewfinder first.  We have an 'independent' camera shop in Chichester where you can do just that (a city local to us) but unfortunately we are in lockdown.  I wonder whether once lockdown is over that sort of facility will be removed anyway as I should think lots of people handling the same camera won't be a good idea.

All our non-essential shops are closed here too but the larger photo retailers and even some local ones have a scheme by which you can order online and pick up by appointment. I'm pretty sure though that if ordering something online and having delivered by parcel mail, you have 14 days to try it out or send it back without penalty (or giving a reason). If you could do that, a good clean of the exterior of the camera with iso-propyl alcohol dampened cloth would remove any risk of contamination. Dunno whether your local shop has a try-before-you-buy scheme. Most larger retailers here do in fact provide a return sticker (pre-paid) so that it doesn't even cost to return the item if dissatisfied.

I have/had plenty of images that are/were selling well and which were shot with first generation of Sony RX100 (it was made in Japan BTW and in my opinion lens was better/sharper than in my current RX100V). Short answer, it is enough for most subjects, but for portrait kind stuff etc. I would prefer better lens and proper camera body. I have Nikon D750 and its still great camera and not that expensive anymore. 

2 hours ago, Mikko Palonkorpi said:

I have/had plenty of images that are/were selling well and which were shot with first generation of Sony RX100 (it was made in Japan BTW and in my opinion lens was better/sharper than in my current RX100V). Short answer, it is enough for most subjects, but for portrait kind stuff etc. I would prefer better lens and proper camera body. I have Nikon D750 and its still great camera and not that expensive anymore. 

Even though you are right about the D750 vs, the RX100, it is a little bit comparing apples with oranges unless you are able to put  your D750 complete with a 24-70 lens into your tight jeans pockets of course. 

47 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

Even though you are right about the D750 vs, the RX100, it is a little bit comparing apples with oranges unless you are able to put  your D750 complete with a 24-70 lens into your tight jeans pockets of course. 

You are absolutely right about that size factor, it was just my thoughts on RX100 and what is good for and where it doesn't always necessarily shine. 

The Panasonic TZ200 is presently winging its way to me from Amazon.  It's the zoom capacity I love.  I have got too used to my 'superzoom' that it has rather spoilt other cameras for me (for outdoors use anyway).  I use the DSLR at home.

Anyway, I realised yesterday that I don't need to worry so much about the viewfinder problem with using my left eye now, as I'm taking mostly portrait for Arcangel, and of course, that means that my nose isn't up against the camera 🙂