• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An ode to @Kate Shutterstock   Dear Shutterstock Kate Is it too late To find a space in your heart To give @geogif a new start?   I miss his translated text Who

I miss Geogif, he has a great sense of humor, sarcasm , and not just Geogif, too many forum members are gone , this forum without them is boring.

Dear @Kate Shutterstock. I want to ask if @geogif can come back on the forum. I miss his answers. Just as by the way, I miss your fellow admins too. But I assume that is Shutterstock's policy, which

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Benedek Alpar said:

You don't need to close the box, we all have opinions, i didn't want to hijack your thread, sorry for that.

That's okay Benedek, but my goal to get Geogif back faded into the background.
Often it is funny when the subject changes completely into a topic.
Kate is very unresponsive and I'm afraid if I don't keep nagging it won't happen at all.
And of course I am happy with help from you. That may also make a little more impression. Although I fear not, because I would have already received an answer. But perhaps it stands as a point for their meeting. 🙂

On 2/16/2021 at 1:59 PM, Thijs de Graaf said:

Dear @Kate Shutterstock.
I want to ask if @geogif can come back on the forum. I miss his answers. Just as by the way, I miss your fellow admins too. But I assume that is Shutterstock's policy, which we cannot change.
Geogif was one of the people who often helped others, but also made me think through his opinion. He may have done something wrong in Shutterstock's eyes. But for that reason someone banned from the forum for life is not justified I think, when you consider how many times he has helped people here, made an effort for them and for Shutterstock.
Thank you. Kind regards, Thijs

How do my fellow forum members feel about this?

So he was banned for this post?

No @blvdone Not sure why you would think that?

As far as I remember, another contributor complained about G's response to a post of theirs and this ended up in G being banned (possibly indirectly).

I doubt if much time is spent by anyone actually employed by Sstock monitoring the forum.  I should imagine that it will be complaints by other contributors (ie the reporting function on a post) that is most likely to lead to this.

Another forum member who was active and whom I miss was removed from the forum early on during the change of payment policy due to his complaining about it publicly.  I believe that his portfolio was also removed by Sstock.

On 2/20/2021 at 3:25 AM, oleschwander said:

Joe had a goal to reach 10.000 uploaded images within a year to prove that volume is king. No matter the quality. A large port of images - even of a low quality - ment a lot of money. He didn’t reach the 10.000 images - but almost. He worked on his goal all day (and night?), he drove thousands of miles to shoot and he bragged and degraded others in this forum.

He did make it to 10,000 images, if you count video and photos. No he didn't have 10,000 photos by the end of the year. Joe also had more photos but had a setback when they removed some similars.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

Benedek, the origin of Joe's activities was that he wanted to prove that the sheer mass of images - regardless of quality - would inevitably lead to more downloads and revenue than a significantly smaller quantity of images from those who focused on quality.

Yes and I'm one who disagreed. Although I do follow the Plop and Shoot system, ALA Farbled, and personally, I often only upload one best from a shoot and no more.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

"class not mass".

I like that. 👍

This is not about Joe, it's about plans or philosophy or ways people try to beat the system. There are others who insist every image Must Have 50 Words or you won't get downloads. Some think, only shoot most popular and best selling subjects. There are all kinds of ideas. I think only words that apply and that's the right number, because it's not about numbers, it's about relevance.

My view is and has been, Quality over Quantity, images and keywords. 😁 Find things that may not be the top of most searched, but have a niche market.

I'm not going to sell those by the hundreds, but when I get 14 DLS for something and I have 2 of the only 3 images on SS of that specific item and location, 14DL for $13 in three years. I do better than if I had my best selling cheeseburger with fries. 108,070 cheeseburger and fries which I might sell some, not by the hundreds just because it's a more popular item?

My best selling cheeseburger = 3  $1.08  since  3/24/12

Not sure if lobbying for Geogif has any effect. We don't know why he was removed. But he still gets my vote.

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

Not sure if lobbying for Geogif has any effect. We don't know why he was removed. But he still gets my vote.

Neither do I Pete. We may be competitors, but also fellow forum members trying to help each other. It's great that others think that way too and vote for Geogif.

I've been on nature forums a lot. Often with well-known biologists as admin, who helped in their spare time. That was also the other way around. When asked to look out for some insect, you did it for them. If they needed a photo of an insect for a guide, they got it.

That is the difference here. For example, if I nicely contact me about stolen images and I don't hear anything, I tend to behave less well, but then I get banned from the forum.
It is sad that I already assume in advance that there will be no response. And will find that normal. Then something is wrong. It isn't normal.

If I don't hear back next week, I'll send a message to Kate.

3 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

No @blvdone Not sure why you would think that?

As far as I remember, another contributor complained about G's response to a post of theirs and this ended up in G being banned (possibly indirectly).

I doubt if much time is spent by anyone actually employed by Sstock monitoring the forum.  I should imagine that it will be complaints by other contributors (ie the reporting function on a post) that is most likely to lead to this.

Another forum member who was active and whom I miss was removed from the forum early on during the change of payment policy due to his complaining about it publicly.  I believe that his portfolio was also removed by Sstock.

You believe his portfolio was also removed? Anything to back that up or are you just trolling. You imagine is a better way you put that.

3 hours ago, blvdone said:

So he was banned for this post?

Why do you say that? If the post was so bad to be banned, wouldn't they remove it?

6 minutes ago, Clupeidae said:

You believe his portfolio was also removed? Anything to back that up or are you just trolling. You imagine is a better way you put that.

I could easily back it up but I am being discreet as, although he published these facts on his Twitter feed when it happened, I am not sure he would want people talking about him on the forum.  Hence, I am not mentioning his name.

1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

He did make it to 10,000 images, if you count video and photos. No he didn't have 10,000 photos by the end of the year. Joe also had more photos but had a setback when they removed some similars.

Yes and I'm one who disagreed. Although I do follow the Plop and Shoot system, ALA Farbled, and personally, I often only upload one best from a shoot and no more.

I like that. 👍

This is not about Joe, it's about plans or philosophy or ways people try to beat the system. There are others who insist every image Must Have 50 Words or you won't get downloads. Some think, only shoot most popular and best selling subjects. There are all kinds of ideas. I think only words that apply and that's the right number, because it's not about numbers, it's about relevance.

My view is and has been, Quality over Quantity, images and keywords. 😁 Find things that may not be the top of most searched, but have a niche market.

I'm not going to sell those by the hundreds, but when I get 14 DLS for something and I have 2 of the only 3 images on SS of that specific item and location, 14DL for $13 in three years. I do better than if I had my best selling cheeseburger with fries. 108,070 cheeseburger and fries which I might sell some, not by the hundreds just because it's a more popular item?

My best selling cheeseburger = 3  $1.08  since  3/24/12

Let's change "class not mass" into "mass with class" and we have the key to success, Pete.

In this respect, I have found a new champion. Almost 50000 high-quality images as a lone fighter - that has my maximum respect. And this master is rightly enjoying great success. There are other such idols who do great things and earn good money accordingly.

But, sorry geogif, once more I am off topic...

Just now, Studio 2 said:

I could easily back it up but I am being discreet as, although he published these facts on his Twitter feed when it happened, I am not sure he would want people talking about him on the forum.  Hence, I am not mentioning his name.

You wrote you believe, not I know. Which was it. You make up alot of believe and maybe on the forum. PM me so I can look at his Twitter feed and see who that was.

2 hours ago, Thijs de Graaf said:

We may be competitors, but also fellow forum members trying to help each other.

That we do and I've sure learned from that too. I enjoy the Q&A I don't care much for the constant whining. 😉

20 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

Brady, Laurin, Phil, Scorsby, Richard, Mihai, Joe, ???

help-sos.gif

So many!

27 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

With @geogif leaving, we lost much of the humour on the forums. Now it's purely functional (if that). Which is why it's sad and we need him back. But someone needs to listen for that to happen 😕

Thanks. Next week I'll send Kate a message (no idea who's deciding on it). Then it is good that I am not the only one who feels that way. Because then it makes no impression at all.

8 hours ago, balajisrinivasan said:

With @geogif leaving, we lost much of the humour on the forums. Now it's purely functional (if that). Which is why it's sad and we need him back. But someone needs to listen for that to happen 😕

I liked @geogif ‘s sence of humour, and it’s a shame he is no longer on the forum. I learnt a lot from his posts and they encouraged me to keep going, especially at the beginning. So, vote for @geogif to come back 👍

P.S. Unless he doesn’t want to come back..😬

19 hours ago, balajisrinivasan said:

The forum has been extremely polite and ... well... quite bland since all the bickering was stopped. I miss Laurin's biting remarks (always right on target, once you worked out what he actually meant with his atrociously spelled rants), I miss Mihai's sharp logic and stats, I miss Scorsby's weird and wicked humor and off-the-wall writings.

I never understood why geogif was removed. I do not recall any of his comments ever being truly insulting or anything.

11 hours ago, Milo J said:

The forum has been extremely polite and ... well... quite bland .

What do you mean "Bland"!! Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about! Learn how to cook and know how much salt to put on your own plate before you start accusing people for not putting any on theirs.!! And just so you know, according to Mihai (I think) you can only put max. 2.35 Mg. salt on your plate otherwise things might get too noisy! 

How about that??  Still too bland? Not bland enough?

Just another failed attempt trying to be funny. Sorry

58 minutes ago, Rudy Umans said:

What do you mean "Bland"!! Obviously you have no idea what you are talking about! Learn how to cook and know how much salt to put on your own plate before you start accusing people for not putting any on theirs.!! And just so you know, according to Mihai (I think) you can only put max. 2.35 Mg. salt on your plate otherwise things might get too noisy! 

How about that??  Still too bland? Not bland enough?

Just another failed attempt trying to be funny. Sorry

Apparently @Milo J has blocked Blvdone? 😉 I mean if someone was looking for polite, bland and no bickering? stirpot.gif

Salt you say? I know people who add salt before they taste the food. What's with that, habit or no taste. Now that's my kind of humor... tasteless.

rofl.gif

Quantity of salt doesn't matter, you should know that by now. All about the quality of it. Has to be Himalayan Pink, mined by virgins and carried down the mountain by organically grass-fed alpacas, or there is no chance of selling any of it.

10 hours ago, Milo J said:

Quantity of salt doesn't matter, you should know that by now. All about the quality of it. Has to be Himalayan Pink, mined by virgins and carried down the mountain by organically grass-fed alpacas, or there is no chance of selling any of it.

Good thing there is an abundance of  alpacas and virgins in the Himalayans.......

Anyway. all I know is I met my goal last year of 27, 368 with no salt at all, let alone that fancy smancy pink stuff, Who uses that in a fast food joint?