Jump to content

Need some advice on a Noise Issue


Recommended Posts

Hi all

I am pretty new to stock photography so after reading the photo requirements I went ahead and submitted some phtoto's.  One was accepted and two were rejected for noise so not bad for first attempt.  I was looking at the photo below to try and correct the noise but I am having difficulty in identifying the problem and was wondering if someone with more experience could lend a hand.

The photo was shot 1/250 at f/5.6 with an ISO of 200, any help would be much appreciated.

 

1003130586_NOISE-SempervivuminFlower.thumb.jpg.d1a65daf6c9b807869e4ab24387fa02b.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Low ISO Settings. To reduce the noise in the image, keep the ISO low. 
  • Tripods and Camera Features. It will be of great convenience if you have a tripod. 
  • Keep Away From Heat. Are you aware of the fact that your image noise can increase significantly when your camera's sensor is hot? 
  • Shoot In RAW.
  • Check The Noise.

myprepaidcenter

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 12:35 PM, Martin R Fletcher said:

Hi all

I am pretty new to stock photography so after reading the photo requirements I went ahead and submitted some phtoto's.  One was accepted and two were rejected for noise so not bad for first attempt.  I was looking at the photo below to try and correct the noise but I am having difficulty in identifying the problem and was wondering if someone with more experience could lend a hand.

The photo was shot 1/250 at f/5.6 with an ISO of 200, any help would be much appreciated.

 

1003130586_NOISE-SempervivuminFlower.thumb.jpg.d1a65daf6c9b807869e4ab24387fa02b.jpg

Welcome Martin,

I can advice the following three, fast fixes:

1. Download this free nose reduction software and use  it at the default settings. You can save the new image, use it as it is or use it partially (with mask in PS).

2. The noise on this image can also be fixed in PS with the blur tool (soft brush) applied locally on the darker parts of the image.

3. If you resize this image (6000 x 4000 px) to half of it, the noise will be less visible or at all.

Good luck!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Adelbert72 said:
  • 4. Low ISO Settings. To reduce the noise in the image, keep the ISO low. 
  • 5. Tripods and Camera Features. It will be of great convenience if you have a tripod. 
  • 6. Keep Away From Heat. Are you aware of the fact that your image noise can increase significantly when your camera's sensor is hot? 
  • Shoot In RAW.

 

5 hours ago, Whiteaster said:

Welcome Martin,

I can advice the following three, fast fixes:

X Download this free nose reduction software and use  it at the default settings. You can save the new image, use it as it is or use it partially (with mask in PS).

2. The noise on this image can also be fixed in PS with the blur tool (soft brush) applied locally on the darker parts of the image.

3. If you resize this image (6000 x 4000 px) to half of it, the noise will be less visible or at all.

Good luck!

 

Don't use noise reduction software, it creates more problems than it solves. I don't know how a soft RAW image is any better than a soft JPG image? What did someone saw another time? Get a better monitor. Well fine, you can see the errors better, but that doesn't make them go away? 🧐

Have a noise free shot to start with which is all of the above left from both. Also your image might not really have noise at all, but has a soft focus on the edges and front, which the review software will reject as "noise" or focus. Not saying that's forbidden or some won't pass, but the software seems to miss soft, texture or water, especially across the front and edges as noise, pixelation, grain or focus.

Front focus is important at SS. Main subject pretty much 100% of it in focus can be another factor.

Yellow wildflower on dark green background. Gumweed - Grindelia squarrosa. Aster family. Pennsylvania Leatherwing (Family Cantharidae)

Subject is sharp, background is out of focus, good contrast between the two, passes easily.

As always, without seeing the image at full size, no one can help. I can't see the yellow flowers well enough to see if that's the problem, or the general common issues are the cause.

What camera? What Lens? Settings are nice, but only one part of the eventual shot.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HodagMedia said:

As always, without seeing the image at full size, no one can help. I can't see the yellow flowers well enough to see if that's the problem, or the general common issues are the cause.

What camera? What Lens? Settings are nice, but only one part of the eventual shot.

That is a full size image Pete (6000 x 4000), probably Nikon.

As I understand, he wants to fix this image that was rejected, so does it matter what camera or lens?

Here are some 100% crops

noise1.jpg.a11f89be620cc2998a2f7a05b2f9b8ba.jpg

noise2.jpg.a03c9eb220e9da09f1bf05668dd262ce.jpgnoise3.jpg.41f4a51b6cdd4ef2aaa1b8fb0909fd36.jpg

Quote

I was looking at the photo below to try and correct the noise but I am having difficulty in identifying the problem

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 12:14 PM, Whiteaster said:

That is a full size image Pete (6000 x 4000), probably Nikon.

As I understand, he wants to fix this image that was rejected, so does it matter what camera or lens?

Here are some 100% crops

noise1.jpg.a11f89be620cc2998a2f7a05b2f9b8ba.jpg

noise2.jpg.a03c9eb220e9da09f1bf05668dd262ce.jpgnoise3.jpg.41f4a51b6cdd4ef2aaa1b8fb0909fd36.jpg

 

Yes,it matters because settings don't tell the whole story. If he's using a cell phone or a pocket camera, or something that has a smallish sensor and fixed lens, there's little he can do to make them better through magic and editing. Of course I must agree, downsize is a good answer.

I'm not saying that someone needs to have a big camera and fancy lens, to make it in Microstock, but they must have an adequate camera and lens or the task becomes less and less likely to succeed. So the camera (sensor) and lens do matter for trying to understand why the finished product has so many problems.

ps my shot was hand held, Canon kit lens 28-135, T2i older camera. On P probably. I remember I was walking up a hill to take photos of something else and saw the beetle on the flower and snapped a few shots. Good lighting helped a bunch and ISO 100 +1/3rd

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...