Tell me, is it worth leaving this greedy microstock?

3 hours ago, Clupeidae said:

Where else do you upload microstock that you make more then here? Did you leave iStock when they cut us to 15% no levels? Did you leave BS when they cut us to25c per. Did you leave 123 when they redid the levels? Did you quit FT and DP when they invented dollar download club. Did you quit the other that dropped our percentage and pay? Now you blame Shutterstock, who followed those, when you never did anything in the past to protest the cuts.

It is absolutely understandable what you want to express, Clupeidae.

But the facts for me are different. The RPD at shutterstock is currently the lowest of the 7 agencies where I offer. Only one small agency, which you mentioned in fifth place, is at nearly the same poor level after the recent compensation change.

I left Bigstock immediately at the end of May 2020 - that was my eighth agency.

The question is, after all, whether a market leader needs to change in terms of price. Only if you want to get more out of it for yourself and for the shareholders. Whether the idea was the right one, we will know – from my point of view – in a relatively short time.

Because the small agencies on the market have to react. Either through price or through quality.

If I remember correctly, istock was a shining star in the sky a long time ago. The star has become very pale in comparison to other agencies – even price reductions have brought nothing.

On 3/17/2021 at 5:31 AM, Creatus said:

Soon other companies will follow because you don't seem to care, what then? blame Shutterstock? no blame yourself!

After a long list of the companies that cut our commissions, before Shutterstock, you want us to believe they are somehow following?  Blame the people who didn't stand up to the cuts from these other places, no protests, no leaving, just sit and take the paltry payments. Now that the one agency that made most people, the most money, has followed the bottom feeders and parasites... now some people want to change and complain? And all the blame goes on ShutterStock?

Want a timeline?

2 hours ago, Clupeidae said:

Name should be cretin not creatus I won't apologize for the truth or my opinion. Nobody stood up for years and now they blame and hate shutterstock. Stay or leave your choice if you aren't happy go away. 

I cannot be blamed, because I have only recently been doing stock photography. 🙂

I can understand that Shutterstock was looking for a different payment method.

• Sites that offer photos for free.
  • Photographers, who have not uploaded anything for a long time, but who continue to receive the highest price for the photos, due to the sales from the past.
  • Photographers, who sell little and are therefore relatively more expensive in terms of storage of photos, than photographers, who have photos that sell very well.
  • The ever-increasing amount of photos, some of which are rarely sold.

But what I don't like is:

• Announce the pay cut one week in advance. 
  • No explanation at all why it is.
  • Not giving any opportunity to communicate about it.
  • Offering the photos lower than the competitors, while that is not really necessary when I look at the profit.
  • Total indifference. Also, for example, for stealing photos.
  • To the customer to talk about our artists. But never show that appreciation to us.

When I joined the forum a year and a half ago, I found that many enjoyed working for Shutterstock. One of the reasons I chose Shutterstock.
Now I mostly read disappointment.

It is indeed the choice between staying or leaving. I have chosen to sign up at Alamy and Adobe after May and wait to see how things go here.

I think you are right, most of us are disappointed. The pay cut is to fund the executives who held large blocks of stock after the IPO. Now they are getting rich from our work and cutting our rewards. The choices are clear and simple. If somebody wants what we are given, stay. I don't say we have to be happy or like that, just that we have no other choices. Somebody who doesn't think the pay is fair should leave. I don't need to read every day how bad Shutterstock is treating us. I'm an artist and I get the money from downloads. I know how pay has changed.

Somebody who doesn't think the pay is fair should leave, and leave the forum.

Hmm I take that as a false accusation and personal attack, nothing less. I'm not going to waste time with a long reply, but you obviously haven't read my posts. I have not been positive about the new commission plan or sales.

20 hours ago, Creatus said:

You call yourself an artist but a true artist won’t mock another artist’s name nor put out false accusations. 

Nor attack someone else for what they do and shoot? Here's to you a True Artist. 🙄

On 2/11/2021 at 8:23 AM, SaliVit said:

Shutterstock becomes the worst place to sell images!?...

A long time ago, when I started, I did not have such small sales as this year!

I am sure that shutterstock will die of its greed, and all the authors who respect their work will leave. I myself continue to upload my work to shutterstock, but only in JPG.

Tell me, is it worth leaving this greedy microstock?

Yes

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 9:26 PM, blvdone said:

I think if this low sales continues for another 3, 4 months, many will un-license Shutterstock to protect their profit on Adobe Stock which sell our photos and videos at decent price and give us decent money.  If that happens, Shutterstock will go down the drain and SSTK will go down to $10.

Yes, Adobe stock pays more than Shutterstock.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 7:24 PM, Thijs de Graaf said:

Only I sell a lot less there and I can't upload editorial photos. It depends, I guess, what you make.

Even with editorials I am selling with same portfolio 2-3 times more at shutter compared to Adobe. In the end the monthly revenue is almost the same. 

2 hours ago, Ralf Liebhold said:

Even with editorials I am selling with same portfolio 2-3 times more at shutter compared to Adobe. In the end the monthly revenue is almost the same. 

That is unfortunately not with me so far. But ..... today I sold a photo on Adobe for 21.12 !!! So this month AS can beat SS. 😁