Jump to content

Tell me, is it worth leaving this greedy microstock?


Recommended Posts

Shutterstock becomes the worst place to sell images!?...

A long time ago, when I started, I did not have such small sales as this year!

I am sure that shutterstock will die of its greed, and all the authors who respect their work will leave. I myself continue to upload my work to shutterstock, but only in JPG.

Tell me, is it worth leaving this greedy microstock?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SaliVit said:

Shutterstock becomes the worst place to sell images!?...

A long time ago, when I started, I did not have such small sales as this year!

I am sure that shutterstock will die of its greed, and all the authors who respect their work will leave. I myself continue to upload my work to shutterstock, but only in JPG.

Tell me, is it worth leaving this greedy microstock?

You ask is it worth leaving yet you continue to upload???? Why upload if you are so unhappy?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, lonndubh said:

Вы спрашиваете, стоит ли уходить, пока продолжаете выкладывать ???? Зачем загружать, если ты так недоволен?

I will stop posting, there was a hope that there would be more sales, but I was wrong.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only you can decide- I had a good January - but February is a disaster - I haven't uploaded for quite a while now, so looks like it doesn't make much difference to sales - I will leave my port here, as all the hard work has already been done with uploading, keyboarding etc....  so will just reap whatever $'s I get  I submit to other agencies, and some are better than others.

I see this a bit  like a bank, if there was another agency to transfer too  (i.e better interest rates) - I would - but as I already have similar images elsewhere and are reaping (small) $'s there also,  I will leave (for now) and hope for the best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, paula french said:

Only you can decide- I had a good January - but February is a disaster - I haven't uploaded for quite a while now, so looks like it doesn't make much difference to sales - I will leave my port here, as all the hard work has already been done with uploading, keyboarding etc....  so will just reap whatever $'s I get  I submit to other agencies, and some are better than others.

I see this a bit  like a bank, if there was another agency to transfer too  (i.e better interest rates) - I would - but as I already have similar images elsewhere and are reaping (small) $'s there also,  I will leave (for now) and hope for the best.

I agree and would add that if I had left in July 2020 like some people I would have missed out on $1,342 (until present) on here which is still enough for a nice new premium lens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SaliVit said:

Shutterstock becomes the worst place to sell images!?...

A long time ago, when I started, I did not have such small sales as this year!

I am sure that shutterstock will die of its greed, and all the authors who respect their work will leave. I myself continue to upload my work to shutterstock, but only in JPG.

Tell me, is it worth leaving this greedy microstock?

Hi,

Great portfolio,
If you leave, all the images will lose their popularity, think again when you are not angry

I did the opposite, gave all my strength to SS and AS now I'm so happy  ;)

(I left all other agencies)  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, muratart said:

Здравствуй,

Отличное портфолио,
если вы уйдете, все изображения потеряют популярность, подумайте еще раз, когда вы не злитесь

Я сделал наоборот, отдал все силы СС и АС, теперь я так счастлив  ;)

(Я ушел из всех других агентств)  

Thank you for advice. Sales at the beginning of the year are very disappointing. Perhaps we should agree with you that we should wait until we leave the SS.

But it seems to me that the SS will not be able to compete with other microstocks for a long time. Greed will ruin him. Authors with education and experience, expensive and good equipment are leaving, it is very noticeable.

Young authors come from developing countries who want to get even $ 0.10. These authors do not have the education, experience, or equipment to do good, high-quality work.

Accordingly, the overall level of work will be worse and buyers will look for authors with better quality works.

It is a pity that this situation has developed, the SS was the best, but the new pricing policy and greed will kill this microstock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SaliVit said:

Shutterstock becomes the worst place to sell images!?...

A long time ago, when I started, I did not have such small sales as this year!

I am sure that shutterstock will die of its greed, and all the authors who respect their work will leave. I myself continue to upload my work to shutterstock, but only in JPG.

Tell me, is it worth leaving this greedy microstock?

Not the worst place, I can give you a much longer list of places you don't want to contribute. 🙂

You really spent time contributing TIFF files? How did that work out?

They aren't dying, the company is thriving and making even more money, because they pay contributors less.

Worth leaving all of Microstock? Probably a good idea.

6 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Very low sales and very low commissions - yes it's beginning to feel like it's worth leaving.

Good analysis of the bottom line. 👍

I'm not just pointing at SS, but all agencies, well... except one. Also I'm spreading out into POD and that seems to be improving. I'm surprised. For the people who honestly are thinking of moving on, maybe finding new ways and different outlets is the answer, not wasting time blaming, accusing, or being angry.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't leave, just stop uploading and find new places to earn money. You already did all the work uploading, keywording, etc , just leave these images here. I stopped uploading after June but didn't delete my account and I did the same on IS some time ago and started concentrating on selling my paintings on a local art site (less competition) and am making more money per sale than I ever did on SS or IS, average 15 euros commission per sale.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, paula french said:

Only you can decide- I had a good January - but February is a disaster - I haven't uploaded for quite a while now, so looks like it doesn't make much difference to sales - I will leave my port here, as all the hard work has already been done with uploading, keyboarding etc....  so will just reap whatever $'s I get  I submit to other agencies, and some are better than others.

I see this a bit  like a bank, if there was another agency to transfer too  (i.e better interest rates) - I would - but as I already have similar images elsewhere and are reaping (small) $'s there also,  I will leave (for now) and hope for the best.

Best of luck Paula.  My sentiments exactly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if this low sales continues for another 3, 4 months, many will un-license Shutterstock to protect their profit on Adobe Stock which sell our photos and videos at decent price and give us decent money.  If that happens, Shutterstock will go down the drain and SSTK will go down to $10.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 4:24 PM, HodagMedia said:

Not the worst place, I can give you a much longer list of places you don't want to contribute. 🙂

You really spent time contributing TIFF files? How did that work out?

They aren't dying, the company is thriving and making even more money, because they pay contributors less.

Worth leaving all of Microstock? Probably a good idea.

Good analysis of the bottom line. 👍

I'm not just pointing at SS, but all agencies, well... except one. Also I'm spreading out into POD and that seems to be improving. I'm surprised. For the people who honestly are thinking of moving on, maybe finding new ways and different outlets is the answer, not wasting time blaming, accusing, or being angry.

 

POD ? Forgive my ignorance, what does that stand for?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, k_t_graphics said:

I can see where this is going. Every one jumps on the POD band wagon and then that gets spoiled too. Its like every one goes to one side of the rescue boat and then it sinks. ☹️

Not really - as I'm sure  lot if stuff sold on here is for internet use only - so POD is great for some but not for others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, paula french said:

Not really - as I'm sure  lot if stuff sold on here is for internet use only - so POD is great for some but not for others.

True, not the same most of the time.

11 hours ago, k_t_graphics said:

I can see where this is going. Every one jumps on the POD band wagon and then that gets spoiled too. Its like every one goes to one side of the rescue boat and then it sinks. ☹️

Well if it's jumping on, I started in 2011, I'll say I'm just sharing ideas? 👍

18 hours ago, Wilm Ihlenfeld said:

I guess it is Print(ing) on Demand.

You guess right Print On Demand. Those T-shirt shops, card makers, puzzles, blankets, phone cases, photos for the wall... basically printing fulfillment shops. Nowhere the same as Microstock images in most cases.

There's one that's interesting called Printify that offers the Shutterstock collection, for creating products, and every time someone buys that item, we get a commission. So it's not buy once, sell many. I still don't know how much we get, and I'll create a product some day with one of my images from here, and see what I see?

Anyway, the point isn't to replace Microstock or change to POD, but an additional outlet that may produce some additional income. The style and type of image, might have some that are similar, but this is not just spreading the same, more like possible other uses of some select images.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it is obvious that there are more than just me getting only 10 cents (US) for images and 26 cents (US) for videos?

Shutterstock has not responded to inquiries as to whether they are also accepting only a few cents per download.  It is unethical and likely illegal for Shutterstock to accept $79 per video while only paying out $0.26.  There are many of us that don't just point and shoot a sfart phone then upload.  Many of my videos have required custom set ups and some stop motion.  Let's see, 40+ hours to set up, shoot, edit, keyword, upload, re upload(s) when repeatedly denied, once successful, then six+ months later 26 cents.  It is interested that some videos have been up for years and only when the new payment structure was whipped out striking us back, suddenly several 26 cent downloads.  

Additionally there has been concerns raised that Shutterstock may be knowingly allowing the illegal inclusion of content into non creator/copyright-owner accounts.

As a result of the extortion tactics enacted by Shutterstock I have not submitted new content for the past year, and am working out the issues of possibly removing my content entirely.  Although it has been hinted that my content is already illegally generating revenue for Shutterstock through theft or bogus accounts.

My hope is that a critical mass of contributors will force Shutterstock to reverse their extortion activities and reimburse to all contributors retroactive earnings, and move forward with ethical practices and greater efforts to ensure that content is not used without the copyright holders knowledge and monetary benefit.

Class Action.... hmmm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2021 at 11:58 AM, David Biagini said:

Well it is obvious that there are more than just me getting only 10 cents (US) for images and 26 cents (US) for videos?

Shutterstock has not responded to inquiries as to whether they are also accepting only a few cents per download.  It is unethical and likely illegal for Shutterstock to accept $79 per video while only paying out $0.26.  There are many of us that don't just point and shoot a sfart phone then upload.  Many of my videos have required custom set ups and some stop motion.  Let's see, 40+ hours to set up, shoot, edit, keyword, upload, re upload(s) when repeatedly denied, once successful, then six+ months later 26 cents.  It is interested that some videos have been up for years and only when the new payment structure was whipped out striking us back, suddenly several 26 cent downloads.  

Additionally there has been concerns raised that Shutterstock may be knowingly allowing the illegal inclusion of content into non creator/copyright-owner accounts.

As a result of the extortion tactics enacted by Shutterstock I have not submitted new content for the past year, and am working out the issues of possibly removing my content entirely.  Although it has been hinted that my content is already illegally generating revenue for Shutterstock through theft or bogus accounts.

My hope is that a critical mass of contributors will force Shutterstock to reverse their extortion activities and reimburse to all contributors retroactive earnings, and move forward with ethical practices and greater efforts to ensure that content is not used without the copyright holders knowledge and monetary benefit.

Class Action.... hmmm.

This is where I believe the problem lies in there being no regulation for what people are making and how they are getting paid online. This is a UN matter where if they were doing they´re jobs they would tend to the matter of online work exploitation being run by many companies such es amazon for instance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 11:58 AM, David Biagini said:

Well it is obvious that there are more than just me getting only 10 cents (US) for images and 26 cents (US) for videos?

Shutterstock has not responded to inquiries as to whether they are also accepting only a few cents per download.  It is unethical and likely illegal for Shutterstock to accept $79 per video while only paying out $0.26.  There are many of us that don't just point and shoot a sfart phone then upload.  Many of my videos have required custom set ups and some stop motion.  Let's see, 40+ hours to set up, shoot, edit, keyword, upload, re upload(s) when repeatedly denied, once successful, then six+ months later 26 cents.  It is interested that some videos have been up for years and only when the new payment structure was whipped out striking us back, suddenly several 26 cent downloads.  

Additionally there has been concerns raised that Shutterstock may be knowingly allowing the illegal inclusion of content into non creator/copyright-owner accounts.

As a result of the extortion tactics enacted by Shutterstock I have not submitted new content for the past year, and am working out the issues of possibly removing my content entirely.  Although it has been hinted that my content is already illegally generating revenue for Shutterstock through theft or bogus accounts.

My hope is that a critical mass of contributors will force Shutterstock to reverse their extortion activities and reimburse to all contributors retroactive earnings, and move forward with ethical practices and greater efforts to ensure that content is not used without the copyright holders knowledge and monetary benefit.

Class Action.... hmmm.

Thing to consider here, is the problem I had with dreamstime and reason why Im not there anymore. They took my content sent an email I never noticed that said that if I didnt reply it would be moved on to another site that they own called stockfreeimages.com where they charge people to be members and give away your work as "creative commons" and pay you nothing in return. That is why I am wary of this sites and only work with partners that are transparent such as pond5. This site dosent do much for me and will eventually remove everything like everyone else is slowly doing.

Best

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...