<rant>

I'm at the cusp of pulling my entire SS port.  Nothing fun or even encouraging about being here anymore.  Level drop; monthly earnings not in triple digits.  And the most annoying thing....the nonsensical rejections.  Same model, same session, same batch - few accepted, and others rejected for invalid model release.  All this just to get .10c subscriptions.  I can go to IS for that.  

</rant>

Okay, rant over... my question is.... how do you all see your SS earnings in the next couple of years?  

The rejections are ridiculous lately. I'm just focusing on the other stock sites now. It's too much work uploading, keywording to have some AI reject it in 30 seconds. Usually, if I wait a day and resubmit they go through with no issues, but I'm getting tired of that. I don't have much faith in income increasing here, especially with how difficult they make the acceptance process.

For nearly the same amount of downloads as Adobe Stock, Shutterstock sales amount is only 1/4 of Adobe Stock's.  They are selling our photos and videos for pennies.  That'll make it easier to decide to pullout my portfolio on Shutterstock.  They are becoming the next iStock which many former contributors left a few years ago as they started to sell for pennies.

10 hours ago, Alexandre Rotenberg said:

Iphone XXX!!  I can't wait for that version!

That said, I think I'm going to stop submitting here for a while.  Way too many automated rejections for the hopeful dime.  Gambling and putting money into weed stocks are much more entertaining and probably have a much better ROI than losing time trying to get photos accepted here.  

On 2/10/2021 at 10:43 PM, Allen.G said:

<rant>

I'm at the cusp of pulling my entire SS port.  Nothing fun or even encouraging about being here anymore.  Level drop; monthly earnings not in triple digits.  And the most annoying thing....the nonsensical rejections.  Same model, same session, same batch - few accepted, and others rejected for invalid model release.  All this just to get .10c subscriptions.  I can go to IS for that.  

</rant>

Okay, rant over... my question is.... how do you all see your SS earnings in the next couple of years?  

Out of topic, what an interesting port. Just love the neon lights collage, and colored hats photos, among others. It's the kind of photos that motivate me to go out and shoot.

On 2/10/2021 at 3:43 PM, Allen.G said:

Down! And all the rest of Microstock down even more. Just like things are now compared to five years ago, but worse.

SS Two million new photos, that's just photos, added every month. To keep up with that, an individual would need to add many more photos a month to keep up with the new coming in. For most of the rest of the agencies, the biggest have everything, better selection, more reliable, easy terms.

10 hours ago, Ackab Photography said:

Out of topic, what an interesting port. Just love the neon lights collage, and colored hats photos, among others. It's the kind of photos that motivate me to go out and shoot.

Yeah, thanks for mentioning that, I also took a look. Really nice sharp, colorful, bright images. Nice collection @Allen.G I like the way you have quality over quantity. That's what I think could be a way to keep up with the flood of new images.

Aside from sheer volume, someone could concentrate on some special area, or only selected highest quality images.

I really believe the days of "how many images do you have" as the easy answer, are long gone. The exception is one of the studios or photo factories who churn out so many, that they can keep up with the total of new competition. In that case, making new numbers will pay off.

On 2/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, blvdone said:

For nearly the same amount of downloads as Adobe Stock, Shutterstock sales amount is only 1/4 of Adobe Stock's.  They are selling our photos and videos for pennies.  That'll make it easier to decide to pullout my portfolio on Shutterstock.  They are becoming the next iStock which many former contributors left a few years ago as they started to sell for pennies.

not from their perspective. I believe on the photo sale that you get 10 cents, SS pockets $1.40-ish. I could be wrong though. my 10 cent sales went up quite a lot at the end of January, early February. dunno why. unless the algorhitm puts those to the top that make 10 cents!? better business to SS! unfortunately it's more annoying than positive to me. my question is, did any of you notice any increase in your price/photo after you went up to tier 2 (3, 4...etc). I'm 5 downloads short to tier 2. I have not uploaded for the past 5 months or so. just can't bring myself to:
a, be rejected by a stupid machine or
b, receive 10 cents for my photos one after another.  

On 2/12/2021 at 8:09 PM, Creatus said:

The first two posts sum it all up.

Those who still believe this business is fair play (fierce competition, proper reviews, non biased search engine, etc...) would love to meet my neighbour, Mr. Santa Claus!

@Blue Corner Studio, I am level 3 (should have been 4 already btw) and last 10 sales were: 0.88, 0.10, 0.23, 0.10, 0.10, 0.10, 0.10, 0.14, 0.10, 0,11 and there are plenty of level 4 and 5 contributors reporting mostly 0.10 sales so it doesn't matter what level you are at.

And now on top of all this it seems they are delaying payment as well. What's next?

thank you Creatus. I kinda' suspected that, but wanted to hear it black and white. my last 30 sales were all 10 cents but one at $1.30 and 3 others at the 40-50 cent range. not pretty for sure. but then again, iS is not any better and at Adove very few sales for me this year. DT doesn't even scratch the level to be mentioned. a handful of 33 and 38 cent sales this year. great! I can wait a year or two to cash out on that one.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:09 PM, Ackab Photography said:

On 2/12/2021 at 8:38 AM, HodagMedia said:

Yeah, thanks for mentioning that, I also took a look. Really nice sharp, colorful, bright images. Nice collection @Allen.G I like the way you have quality over quantity. That's what I think could be a way to keep up with the flood of new images.

I appreciate it, gents.  I think the name of the game with SS now though is quantity... if you can get past the photos past their AI submission checkers.  

14 hours ago, Allen.G said:

I appreciate it, gents.  I think the name of the game with SS now though is quantity... if you can get past the photos past their AI submission checkers.  

Yeah always an uphill battle against acceptance, plus competition, and finally, the real meat... does a buyer need our image. But that's just me. I think quality over quantity, that goes for keywords and titles as well.

Offer the best, with clear and inclusive keywords, what's honestly in the image and words that buyers will actually use to find them, and a title/description that's descriptive of what the image is and shows. Pretty basic but sometimes people think they need to play the system, use tricks, or game it, to make something work. Must have 50 keywords is one of those faulty myths.

There's no secret to Microstock, no insider tricks, other than hard work, images that buyers want and need, and best quality. Content is King.

If you upload Crapstock, you'll make crappy returns. I'm a poster child for that sometimes. 😁 Fling it into the uploads and see what sticks, then see if anyone downloads that image? There are unexpected sales and there are fine, high quality, good subject images, that seem to be lost or missed.

In round numbers, 75% of my images have never had a sale. That doesn't mean they are total trash, but just that they haven't found a home and no buyer needed them. Some might be useless filler... but they got accepted? 👍

I'd say I have at least two images that I think should have had a sale, that don't. Meanwhile I have an unknown number that I'd think no one would want, that have had sales.Mind readers, psychics and astrologers, please tell us the answer?